Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Have The Polls (i.e Us!!) Got It Wrong?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

what are RMweb members coming to?

:biggrin_mini2:

I note that you haven't applied the 'righteous indignation' and 'NMCOT (not my cup of tea)' quotients to the calculations which naturally skews RMweb reactions. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Before everybody explodes I should add that this is a very tongue-in-cheek question and a little bit of fun.  But what does it say about us lot and our views and opinions judging by the response to the Hornby 2020 announcements?

As at 12,15 today (08 Jan) the main announcements thread had reached 30 pages.  But the fascinating bit is how individual model subject pages have, or haven't done,.  Here's the current score,  in ascending order of course as any competition announcement should be (yes, I know poll results usually go the other way but there's a reason for me listing it this way, as you'll see).

Coming last with 1 (one) page is the Class 91,

But not far ahead and tieing for last but one place with 3 pages each are - the W1 (Hush Hush), the Std Class 2 78XXX, and the A2s.

Scoring rather better is The Rocket with 5 pages,

But it is pipped at the post by the APT with 6 pages.

Then right out in front is, yes really, Steampunk with 8 pages.

So on that basis RMweb members would seem to be more interested in Steampunk than 'the much sought after' Std Class 2 78XXX.

And Steampunk didn't even make it into the Quirky Poll - what are RMweb members coming to?

You missed the Scot coaches with 2 pages. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think its true if you strip out the indignation and" I don't understand it its not for me" ( that's me exactly)posts then I think Steam Punk would score fairly low

As to the others well who is surprised that the APT has hit the mark . Its big and flashy , no surprise there .  Also the actual offering was not clearly defined , so there's been a bit of confusion about what's on offer. Rocket is both nostalgic (for the Tri-ang model) and something different, so again no surprise.  The others, well they are just announcements of locos that will appeal to some , but are fairly run of the mill.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Although I seem to have cracked the lack of participation in shopping (due to being a monumental pain in the backside when so involved) apart from when it's heavy/big/expensive I am now considering a wider ban of any activity which is prefaced by any word ending in 'ust'. My constant railing at the use of the word 'just' with regard to any poorly-planned activity is legendary. I don't care for 'must', it's a restriction on my free spirit and as for 'dust' it's not something which should be embarked upon with such conjoined phrases as 'just dust'. 'Adjust' is something which needs proper planning and I'm getting a bit old for 'lust'. 'Bust' speaks for itself by one definition and should definitely be used with care in its other definition.

August is OK but it can get a bit disappointing.

Trust you to reply with gust-o.

Well I suppose you have to do something to earn your crust.

And I promise not to mention your rust.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Before everybody explodes I should add that this is a very tongue-in-cheek question and a little bit of fun.  But what does it say about us lot and our views and opinions judging by the response to the Hornby 2020 announcements?

As at 12,15 today (08 Jan) the main announcements thread had reached 30 pages.  But the fascinating bit is how individual model subject pages have, or haven't done,.  Here's the current score,  in ascending order of course as any competition announcement should be (yes, I know poll results usually go the other way but there's a reason for me listing it this way, as you'll see).

Coming last with 1 (one) page is the Class 91,

But not far ahead and tieing for last but one place with 3 pages each are - the W1 (Hush Hush), the Std Class 2 78XXX, and the A2s.

Scoring rather better is The Rocket with 5 pages,

But it is pipped at the post by the APT with 6 pages.

Then right out in front is, yes really, Steampunk with 8 pages.

So on that basis RMweb members would seem to be more interested in Steampunk than 'the much sought after' Std Class 2 78XXX.

And Steampunk didn't even make it into the Quirky Poll - what are RMweb members coming to?

Of course the one flaw in your argument is that Andy York started the Steampunk thread alongside the 'normal' announcements thread.  The subsequent model specific threads all came separately, slightly later.  My own response on reading the 'Steampunk thread' was w.t.f. (although I didn't bother to share that), but it means that all of the responses to the 'Steampunk thread are in one place.  By comparison, discussions and comments about all of the 'mainstream' models are split between the normal announcements thread (which you've indicated is over 30 pages), the model specific thread and in some cases a pre-existing thread - for example there was already a thread about whether it would be viable to produce an APT and could it be crowdfunded. 

I hope the 'steampunk' range makes Hornby money, but I won't be buying any of it.  I'll waste my money on other models that don't fit my core interests like Rocket.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had a quick look at some of the Hornby threads.

Seems like a lot of people like to complain, very few understand steam punk (which is no problem as it covers a vast area of ideas and themes) and we must have a lot of people who should be applying for a chance to be on The Apprentice!

A few years ago my brother in laws War Gaming Club were struggling for members. War hammer appeared to a bit of derision from existing members. Then card games appeared ..more derision..

Well the membership has soared and the Club is open most days/nights of the week. Last year the War Gaming exposition at the NEC had 45000 visitors..

As railway modellers do we ever think outside of the box in our polls?

Err I think not.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

It depends if there is discussion in the thread though.

The LSWR brake van thread is much longer than the LMS brake van thread. Eight pages compared to three. I reckon they will sell many more LMS ones over the next few years than the LSWR ones as they were ubiquitous and lasted from the 1930s to the 2000s. However you don't really need to discuss the LMS brakes as most people know what they are and there hasn't been discussion about whether the colour is wrong or where they were used.

Jason

• Agree 1

I was surprised at the amount of interest in the APT, both in the Announcements and its own Topic, given that there weren't very many of them, they didn't last long, and didn't have a wide area of operation; Plus, of course, they are overhead electrics ! But clearly people do like it and are pleased with Hornby's model, so well done Hornby and good luck with the sales. Now, how about some OLE EMUs to go with it............

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I was surprised at the amount of interest in the APT, both in the Announcements and its own Topic, given that there weren't very many of them, they didn't last long, and didn't have a wide area of operation; Plus, of course, they are overhead electrics ! But clearly people do like it and are pleased with Hornby's model, so well done Hornby and good luck with the sales. Now, how about some OLE EMUs to go with it............

However it was a famous train which has had documentaries made about it. Even most of the general public over a certain age will know about the APT due to it's coverage on TV and in the press at the time.

And if you travel on the WCML you can still see one.

Jason

• Like 1

In terms of the 91 you need to include the wittering on the Cavlex section.

In terms of the LNER A2s + W1, there is little need to express anything other than 'about time'.  However, just wait till somebody  prods the Thompson/Gresley /Peppercorn argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bomag said:

In terms of the 91 you need to include the wittering on the Cavlex section.

In terms of the LNER A2s + W1, there is little need to express anything other than 'about time'.  However, just wait till somebody  prods the Thompson/Gresley /Peppercorn argument.

Already happened. I think it's all good humoured though. Any comments I make are purely tongue in cheek being more a fan of big locos with Belpaire fireboxes. But I'll be buying some A2s.

Some of the Gresley lot are a bit odd IMO. Why make such a big song and dance over a little duck?

It's quackers! :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35960407

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bomag said:

However, just wait till somebody  prods the Thompson/Gresley /Peppercorn argument.

They already have on the A2 thread.

I think the discussion is more down to what generates the most interest than what the polls say. The Ivatt 2MT was a no-brainer for someone to produce, and it's an everyday workhorse, so it doesn't generate a huge amount of discussion. The A2s are more glamorous, but nevertheless they're not exactly A-list locomotives. But Rocket is a model that few seriously predicted, that hasn't shown up on any wishlists, from an era that isn't much modelled. It came totally out of left field. The Hush-Hush and the APT are similarly novel. They generate speculation and curiosity.

As for Steampunk, well, that's a market that no model railway manufacturer has even tried, based on a concept that has a lot of subjectivity attached. There's a lot to talk about.

In general, though, I think polls only really give you a small percentage of what the hobby wants. The impression I get is that there's a huge number of modellers who honestly aren't that bothered about things like modelling a realistic representation of a time and place. They just want models that they like the look of, whether that's a super-detailed Pacific or a colourful Hornby 0-4-0. I'll be really interested to see how the Steampunk range sells, given that it's catering to a totally different market from the one the polls aim for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

But Rocket is a model that few seriously predicted, that hasn't shown up on any wishlists, from an era that isn't much modelled. It came totally out of left field.

How quickly we forget Rocket easily winning the 2019 Quirky Poll...

Okay, fair enough that it was decided prior to the poll, but still it did win.

It also showed up reasonably frequently in the Hornby prediction thread, and the reasoning was valid given Hornby were doing the 100 year thing.

In general, though, I think polls only really give you a small percentage of what the hobby wants. The impression I get is that there's a huge number of modellers who honestly aren't that bothered about things like modelling a realistic representation of a time and place. They just want models that they like the look of, whether that's a super-detailed Pacific or a colourful Hornby 0-4-0.

Don't know how accurate, but certainly over in North America it is often considered 80 to 90% of the market doesn't care about accuracy - but like anything these days it is that small percentage that drive social media and hence awareness of the availability of a new model so it is worth (generally) to pursue that small part of the market.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 1