Spud's workbench: height restrictions apply!

So I recently bought a box of spare parts, and had the idea to make an industrial engine using some of my own spare parts as well. I have a few options, as the list of parts contains the following:

• Smokey Joe saddle tank
  • Hornby holden 101 smokebox
  • Hornby holden 101 bunker
  • Hornby 0-4-0 diesel shunter footplate/frames
  • GWR city of truro cab
  • Smokey Joe cab X2

My idea is the following: an engine with dumb buffers and a low cab to comply with height restrictions, looking like this (piston source recommendations?)

image.png.ed7b1b4d368dce5387bfe32a740e1b8f.png

(apologies for the crudeness, I did my best!)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Not necessarily, plenty of prototypes showing both practices. Several of the locos working for Dorman Long in Teeside never had a lowered footplate but did feature substantially cut down cabs and tank fittings. 

Paul A. 

I do not have the skills to make the cut down footplate, so I will stick with the level footplate. I still need a source for the chassis, I used a production image from the Hattons barclay for an example. If anyone could suggest a cheap chassis with actual piston rods, not just a Hornby 0-4-0, that would be much appreciated. Current status of the model is as follows: 

- chassis is yet to be found

- tank is glued to smokebox

- modelling clay to be used for dumb buffers (unless anyone knows of a better solution?)

- bunker is glued to frames, awaiting coal to be added

- cab is waiting to be filed down as it has previously been cut very roughly (looks like it was ripped apart and covered with glue, I think I have the same glue)

Edited by dud spud

15 hours ago, maridunian said:

For dumb buffers, use wood. Small offcuts of timber or even laminated coffee stirrers. Some dumb buffers had steel faceplates. 10 thou Plastic card for that? 

I didn't know they sometimes had steel faceplates, interesting. It would make sense, as it keeps the wood more intact.

Plastic card should be ideal for that.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dud spud said:

I'm curious, why did some engines owned by the NCB have wooden shutters on their cab windows? I've been looking at some pictures and I was confused. Is it to reduce fire risk from smoke in the cab?

It wasn't just NCB engines. Many industrials had home-made shutters fitted to cab sides to keep winter winds out in exposed locations.

Edited by Ruston