Could anybody tell me which steam special this is and at what date?

The reverse of the card says:

'A Steam Hauled special for the T.R.P.S at Aberdovey'

The card itself is was printed in 1976, but guessing by the look & type and liveries of the engines pulling, I would say the date of the special should be somewhere between 1956-1960. But the Abbreviation TRPS doesn't ring any bells for me.

206727733_s-l1600(43).jpg.d6195998c3d181a2ebabc2e96eb4a5f3.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Trains&armour
Added 'For discussion purposes only' to the photo

1 hour ago, mcowgill said:

TRPS - Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society, this is one of the annual AGM weekend specials from Paddington to Towyn

24th September 1960, 9017 & 7330 hauled the train from Shrewsbury to Towyn - see https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/600924tr.html

Martin

Thanks!

As soon as I read your post, I though 'I know that' but earlier my mind came up with a complete blank. Funny thing, the human brain. And thanks for the link, new to me.

The Ffestiniog Railway Society were also famous for their specials which often ran via Ruabon and Dolgellau when the line was open.  Those from London tended to be loco hauled but the Midlands branch sometimes turned up in one of the GWR Railcars based on photographs I've seen, although I've never been able to confirm if they ran via Dolgellau or up the coast.  I've seen film footage of the loco hauled trains double headed by Manors and Standard 4s on the Dolgellau route, but if the railcars ran the same way it would be nice to get one for the Dolgellau layout just for something different.

• Like 2