Clockwork & minimum curves

RateTheFreight

Evening all,

I’ve somewhat assumed that most of vintage tinplate clockwork offerings from the likes of Bing, Bassett-Lowke and Hornby will negotiate relatively tight curves but thought I’d check just how tight for the medium (say a Bing George V) to a larger (Say Hornby Lord Nelson or Castle) could go? 

I’m in the process of building a 6 x 4 ‘train table’ predominately to run US stock (electrically) but  with the ability to switch ‘time and place’ to run some of my smaller British outline coarse scale stuff too (also electric). The curves will roughly be what in the US are classed as 0-36, 0-31/0-27. It would be great if I could also run vintage British outline clockwork too as a change of pace! 

welcome folks thoughts.

greg 

Hornby's standard 0 gauge radius was 2 foot. They did persuade the smaller engines* to go around 1 foot curves, but this required super elevated track. Pre-war track was like this, but post-war track was level and 1 Foot was reserved for the M1 series.

*Here I intend No. 1 etc. not the M0 and M1 series.

• Thanks 1

All the Hornby clockwork 0-4-0's I have tried will negotiate Lionel 0-36 curves. My Bassett Lowke 4-4-0 Prince Charles will not negotiate Lionel 0-36 curves, but will negotiate Lionel 0-48 curves.

I would suggest you increase your real estate to 4' 6" x 6' 3", as that was the size required by the oval of track supplied with the larger Hornby Train sets. It will also conveniently fit on a double bed.

• Thanks 1

I model US and UK trains.  Small American (Lionel, etc) steam and diesel will traverse 031 curves as will the smaller No.1 Hornby locos.  Bogie stock won't however needing 048 curves as do the No.2 Special locos.

Brian.

• Thanks 1