Sturgeons on the WR

DaveArkley

I just taken delivery of some Revolution Sturgeons, and lovely they are too.

I'm imagining a loaded train travelling north for some weekend works. Anyone know what haulage power would have been ~1957 and ~1964.

I suspect I can use an EE type 4 for the later date, but can I justify a WD or 8F for the earlier date? Anyone know of any photographic envidence?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Tracklaying operations photographed in 1965 by Paul Riley near Shankend.  BR Standard 4MT and two Claytons in attendance, with track panels on Sturgeons.  Looks like the train was double headed by 76049 and one of the Claytons, with the other one on the Hawick crane. I would guess that in 1957 it would have been whatever Canal or Hawick had spare, most likely a B1 or possibly Hawick's sole J37.

Richard

11 hours ago, Richard Hall said:

Tracklaying operations photographed in 1965 by Paul Riley near Shankend.  BR Standard 4MT and two Claytons in attendance, with track panels on Sturgeons.  Looks like the train was double headed by 76049 and one of the Claytons, with the other one on the Hawick crane. I would guess that in 1957 it would have been whatever Canal or Hawick had spare, most likely a B1 or possibly Hawick's sole J37.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I have that book it so have seen the picture before, just forgot!

Looks like a B1 will do the job for 1957, unless Bachmann suprise us with an N gauge  J37 - I wish!

Cheers

Dave 

1 hour ago, millerhillboy said:

just pondering what to do with my sturgeons as well Dave!!

thinking a few panels of finetrax atop them though anyway.

I bought all me with the doors fitted, so will be modelling the train after the works are done not before, and I guess it will extracted rais, sleepers and spoil rather than track panels.

Are Dapol Grampus appropriate to go with these?.

The Sturgeons are superb though, I'm very impressed with mine

Cheers

Dave 

Edited by DaveArkley
Spelling as usual

The Shankend Sturgeons have doors and are carrying track panels.  I don't know whether an 8'6" sleeper will drop between the doors or whether the track panels are sitting on top of a pile of old sleepers.  I can't imagine that the track panels are resting on the top edges of the doors.

Richard

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/01/2020 at 21:34, Richard Hall said:

The Shankend Sturgeons have doors and are carrying track panels.  I don't know whether an 8'6" sleeper will drop between the doors or whether the track panels are sitting on top of a pile of old sleepers.  I can't imagine that the track panels are resting on the top edges of the doors.

Hi

A Sturgeon is 7' 2.5" inside so the 8' 6" sleeper won't fit between the doors.

Cheers

Paul

On 15/01/2020 at 12:29, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

A Sturgeon is 7' 2.5" inside so the 8' 6" sleeper won't fit between the doors.

Cheers

Paul

I had a close look at the Shankend photo last night and you can see the ends of the sleepers overhanging the tops of the doors.  A pity we don't have photos showing exactly how these were loaded.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Doors off but this is how the beds were built up for panel recovery on the Sturgeons to clear the head stocks.

A snip from a Gordon Hall photo of the last day 1969 for detail. (D1974 Special heading south).

I don't have permission to share the whole image so included purely to answer this question.

Mac.

Sturgeon beds.JPG

22 hours ago, Iain Mac said:

Doors off but this is how the beds were built up for panel recovery on the Sturgeons to clear the head stocks.

A snip from a Gordon Hall photo of the last day 1969 for detail. (D1974 Special heading south).

I don't have permission to share the whole image so included purely to answer this question.

Mac.

Sturgeon beds.JPG

Track recovery wagons sitting there like vultures, ready to start lifting the moment the last train had run. BR really did want this railway gone.

On 08/01/2020 at 22:31, Richard Hall said:

Richard

More than likely the Clayton being ‘double headed’ had failed en-route and had been rescued by the 4MT and dragged to site.