External Boiler pipe... what does it do?

Possy92

Hello all!

Hoping to pick some of your brains on a boiler pipe.

Very common on the right side of locos, usually above the hand rails. My question is, what are they? Why were they fitted?

Mad that I've been modelling for nearly 20 years and don't have a clue what they are!

(Currently researching the 812 class, some have them and some don't!)

I've attached a pic with an arrow to what pipe I'm on about.

Thank you for your time.

Snapchat-1563864194.jpg

Edited by Possy92

Vacuum ejector pipe. They got them when they were converted to vacuum brakes rather than air brakes (or dual braked).

From the instructions of the Caley Coaches kit. Although it does say injector rather than ejector.

Some locomotives also acquired vacuum injectors in L.M.S. days running from the smokebox to the cab either above or below the handrail on the left hand side. Again consult tour photographs. If required make up from brass rod and fit — sorry I can’t be more specific about where !

https://caley.com/assets/pdfs/cl2inst.pdf

Jason

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

A few observations:-

Ejector pipes, where fitted, were invariably on the Driver's side of the engine.

Not all engines had them, because not all engines were fitted for working trains with the automatic vacuum brake.

In pre-grouping days, it was not unknown for them to be concealed within the boiler cladding.

D

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darryl Tooley said:

A few observations:-

Ejector pipes, where fitted, were invariably on the Driver's side of the engine.

Not all engines had them, because not all engines were fitted for working trains with the automatic vacuum brake.

In pre-grouping days, it was not unknown for them to be concealed within the boiler cladding.

D

Looks like it's on the driver's side to me as the reversing rod is also on the left just below the arrow.

• Agree 1

I think they were on that side as the fitted ones were dual braked in LMS days and the Westinghouse pump was on the other side. The preserved one is dual braked.

Seventeen were fitted with the Westinghouse air brakes for passenger train working, including the only surviving engine of the class, No. 828.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonian_Railway_812_and_652_Classes

Others received vacuum brakes later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47384914@N04/44574850562/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47384914@N04/44574852532/in/photostream/

Jason

On 09/01/2020 at 03:35, Possy92 said:

Hello all!

Hoping to pick some of your brains on a boiler pipe.

Very common on the right side of locos, usually above the hand rails. My question is, what are they? Why were they fitted?

Snapchat-1563864194.jpg

If I can be excused for starting on a pedantic note, that one has it on the left-hand side.

They could however be on either side depending...

As posted above, it's the exhaust pipe from the ejector, which is the device on a steam loco which creates the vacuum in the vacuum brake. So, all vacuum-fitted locos would have it, but no non-vacuum fitted locos would.

Being a part of the brake control it would, as with the reversing lever visible below it, always be positioned on whichever was the driver's side of the loco.

It being on either side, dependent on the driver's position is well illustrated by the Gresley A3s...

The earlier locos, built as original A1 class, were right-hand drive - so ejector pipe on the right

The later ones, built from 1928 as A3 from new, were left-hand drive - so ejector pipe on the left.

In the 50's when the earlier locos were re-built to also be left hand drive - the ejector pipe changed sides

• Agree 1