1 track, 3 controllers

sjp23480

• RMweb Gold

My layout comprises two circuits (up and down mainlines) and a separate branch entering a station on the up side, each with their own controller.  There are sidings on the up and down sides and a turntable on the down side.  Potential movements:

Down trains could cross the up line and into the branch platform/sidings

Up trains could cross the down line to sidings or run into the branch platform

Branch trains would need to run across both the up and down lines to the sidings and turntable

I would like to complete these movements on one controller, so in the final example I would like the branch controller to run the train through the complete sequence.  

If it were just two controllers I presume I could use a DPDT switch to provide power to the relevant sections.  But need some guidance on how to introduce the third controller. 

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Steve

A rotary switch is the way in which all of our club layouts are wired for such scenarios.  Usually we have layouts wired for four controllers.  I think they usually come with 12 terminals on each rotary switch, so 3-way 4-pole or 4-way 3-pole versions are probably the most useful.  The spare poles can be left unconnected or used for interlocking.

• RMweb Premium

There are much easier ways of doing this than a clunky arrangement of rotary switches. All you need to be able to do is to link one section to the others, leaving all the other controllers off while you do it. The actual junction bit can be what we usually have as a "black section" - linked by switches on the point motors to whichever route is selected. There's an explanation of this in my Wentworth Junction layout thread.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

There are much easier ways of doing this than a clunky arrangement of rotary switches. All you need to be able to do is to link one section to the others, leaving all the other controllers off while you do it. The actual junction bit can be what we usually have as a "black section" - linked by switches on the point motors to whichever route is selected. There's an explanation of this in my Wentworth Junction layout thread.

Agreed, much easier because the sections are quite short and cannot in practice be used on their own.

There are plenty of 2 pole 3 way slide switches, quite cheap. They have the advantage of being able to see at a glance which controller the road is set to. The advantage of rotary or slide switches is that you can never accidentally switch to 2 controllers at once.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone for your replies, I need to make this as simple as possible, electrics are not my thing (obviously!). 

Will take a look at each of these options to determine the best solution. 

Steve

• 4 weeks later...