Hornby Class 50: can each bogie be on parallel tracks at once?

flockandroll

• RMweb Gold

Bit of an odd question perhaps, but can each bogie of the Hornby Class 50 manage to turn enough to be able to run on parallel tracks? Amongst the younger generation this kind of thing is known as "train drifting", and sometimes happens in real life by accident if someone changes the points at the wrong moment (I have seen a great picture of a carriage on a preserved railway in this predicament but can't find it now), but often in train hisimulators, and occasionally on layouts... 

(my son is only young and it's fun) 

(Explanation:

We're looking to remotor a Lima class 50 to get rid of the traction tyres, and I'm wondering if it's worth looking out for a Hornby class 50 with a less than perfect body... (or Hornby Rovex class 37 power bogies? Peter's Spares only have Hornby Railroad class 37 spare bogies with traction tyres)) 

Edited by flockandroll
Insert "Rovex" in Hornby class 37
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Train drifting :huh:?  Each to there own I suppose :D

Just out of interest, what are your reasons for wanting to rid yourself of traction tyres on the Lima 50?  I'm thinking you are making a fair amount of work (and expense) for yourself when the Lima mechanism is probably better suited to a youngster having a bit of fun.

You do need a good degree of swivel on the bogies. I'm not sure any UK model has enough swivel. Its not a good thing to be doing and I don't approve of such things......unless it is out in the sunshine.

USA Trains GP38s do have plenty of swivel on their power trucks. I initially did this by accidentally changing the point at the wrong time and was surprised to see the loco come round the bend running perfectly well on two tracks so I had a little play.

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

14 hours ago, Chris M said:

You do need a good degree of swivel on the bogies. I'm not sure any UK model has enough swivel. Its not a good thing to be doing and I don't approve of such things......unless it is out in the sunshine.

USA Trains GP38s do have plenty of swivel on their power trucks. I initially did this by accidentally changing the point at the wrong time and was surprised to see the loco come round the bend running perfectly well on two tracks so I had a little play.

Why did I think of your trains & video as soon as I started reading the OP..??? ;) :mosking: :good:

• Agree 1

On 10/01/2020 at 06:55, Chris M said:

Hi Chris,

I want to see a locomotive where the driver gets his knee down motorbike style !!!

It's the kind of thing ten year old's do.......................... I must give it a go as soon as possible !!!!

Gibbo.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Going round bends on two wheels is a bit tricky with a loco.

I operate my Little Aller Junction layout sensibly most of the time at exhibitions but when youngsters are around I put on a bit of a show. The little people seem to enjoy it a lot, as do some big people.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Going round bends on two wheels is a bit tricky with a loco.

I operate my Little Aller Junction layout sensibly most of the time at exhibitions but when youngsters are around I put on a bit of a show. The little people seem to enjoy it a lot, as do some big people.

That’s pretty impressive. How many people does it take to operate like that?

2 hours ago, Talltim said:

That’s pretty impressive. How many people does it take to operate like that?

Just one operator. We sometimes have two operators but then we have to agree who is going to make adjustments. You can't really speak to visitors while running four trains though. It's simple analogue with only two controllers. It's all about watching where the locos on the two middle trains cross each other on the storage sidings and making minor adjustments. One surprising thing is that without any changes to the controller each loco speed alters very slightly over time. If you get it perfectly balanced within a few minutes you can be sure it won't be.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1

I wouldn't recommend a Hornby 50. Oversteering the bogies could result in the wheels rubbing against  the body, as you'd probably be pulling the bogies hard-over.

Use cheap model designed for trainset curves and tighter for such play activities