Parts puzzle

Buckley Wells

I picked up a couple of corrugated side gondolas for my SW states layout so one of my shortline operators can bring in mineral loads for onwards shipment by ATSF. While I have some first hand experience of the N American scene, it is limited, so was wondering if anyone can help explain the contents of the two Athearn models?

Both came with an identical ladder type frame that fits the inside of the wagon, though there is no obvious attachment point. I'm presuming this is some type of frame for steel sheet/beam loads or the like?

There were also two square panels with ribs on one side. They fit perfectly inside the gondola but the two would be insufficient to cover the entire load should it need protecting from the elements.

Can anyone tell me what they panels and ladder section are?

Or the make and model of the car you are building.

Normal US gondolas don't have ladders on the inside of the car.  Any ladders would be on the outside of the car.

I wonder if they are alternative side panels. 

If just dawned on me, some gon models I have built had alternative ends, some flat, some corrugated, that may be the parts.  Which end you use depends on which car you are modeling.

Also some gons had flat panels between or over the ribs, covering the corrugations, to allow the lettering/heralds to be painted on a flat surface.

Edited by dave1905

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, dave1905 said:

Or the make and model of the car you are building.

Normal US gondolas don't have ladders on the inside of the car.  Any ladders would be on the outside of the car.

I wonder if they are alternative side panels. 

I think the OP isn't talking about ladders per se but a ladder type frame that would lie inside the wagon.

Edited by melmerby

As mentioned, photos would be ideal, or even more specifics - what do the Athearn boxes say regarding a product number and description?

And were these bought new or used? (ie. could these parts be something someone else has added / are parts missing).

The older Walthers gondols kits used to come with what you describe. A pair of raised bulkhead ends for carrying loads of pipe etc and a coil cradle which sits on the floor. Ive never seen an Athearn gondola with corrugated sides, maybe your models have been reboxed at some point.

Regards James

• 4 weeks later...