Layout voltage

sb67

Just got a quick question about voltage,

May seem obvious to many but am I right thinking that DC is 12volts that increases when you turn the controller knob and DCC is 16volts constantly?

I wanted to check as I was looking at some jack plugs to connect my layout and they are rated at 12V/3A so I'm guessing they're not suitable.

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Depends on the system you're using, but you're pretty much on the ball here. If it was my layout I'd go for something rated a bit higher. I'm no expert on this topic, but I've never had a layout blow up on me or damage my stock electrickery bits. :P

Edit: Sam Moss just got there first. Probably the first of many!

Edited by Mick Bonwick

Nearly.....;)

DC is 12v maximum, so starts at 0v and as you turn up the controller the voltage increases to 12v.

I’m not an electronics expert, but my simple understanding is that DCC is a square wave voltage of typically 14v peak to peak. It is a steady voltage and does not vary to increase the speed of any loco on the track.

Because it is a square wave voltage you will need a ‘scope or RRAmpmeter to measure the exact figure.

12v jack connectors are not really ideal, even for a simple DC layout, but you would need a heavier connector for DCC use as the current rating alone would be insufficient if you are running several loco’s and accessories.

• RMweb Premium

The potential is supposed to be 12v maximum on DC but the refinement depends as much upon your controller as anything and the actual track potential can vary from well below 12v - as low as 4 or 5v in extreme cases, to somewhat above.

I would be tempted to avoid anything not manufactured specifically for model railway use rated at equal to the nominal potential as it may not withstand spikes in current however they arise.  

23 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The potential is supposed to be 12v maximum on DC but the refinement depends as much upon your controller as anything and the actual track potential can vary from well below 12v - as low as 4 or 5v in extreme cases, to somewhat above.

I would be tempted to avoid anything not manufactured specifically for model railway use rated at equal to the nominal potential as it may not withstand spikes in current however they arise.  

I would avoid anything manufactured specifically for model railway use as it'll be multiple times the price!!!!

Personally I think that anything advertised as 12V, 3A will be fine for a model railway. All advertised standards have a safety margin built in. I would very surprised if these plugs could not handle 16V, 4A without a problem, especially if it were for a short time. You have you have a lot happening on your model railway for it to need 3A anyway. My NCE Power Cab controller is rated at 2A but it can run four trains with no problem.

Robert

Robert 

• Agree 3