Heljan class 28

class29returns

No I,ve no idea how much it would cost to produce a RTR model,my post was only to alert the RM community to a new model coming out and my view on the price structure was a very personal opinion one based on my outgoings per month eg Mortgage,bills,feeding my family etc.

£100,000-£150,000 for R&D, measurments and producing the final tooling and prototype is a figure I've seen thrown around a fair few times. Its well enough established from Irish forums I frequent as certain users who run shops etc have queried it or know from Mr Murphy's experiences

If you assume a retial mark up of 100% (which doesn't seem unreasonable for the typre of product) you're looking at wholesale price of 125/2 = ~65 for arguements sake.

After that its pure guesswork, rather than vaguely known from above.

IF selling price is 65, probably looking at varaible costs of around 20-30, fixed of 150k/X thousand units and profit of 5-10 per piece.

X=5000 units seems like a reasonable production run to reach a profitable level

Once again I will stress these are just my musings and nothing more.

Given that runs of 500 are possible the variable costs may be considerably less (though these special runs are usually variats on a standard item)

• RMweb Gold

I've just been in contact with Hattons to confirm the spec of D5700 Full BR Green (as delivered into service) ref no: UK 2800 as I was wondering about the front cab window arrangement.

This model will feature the correct original wrap around front windows whilst the remaining models will have the later flat front version so there will be two versions to choose from.

I'd like to add that the lady who dealt with my pedantic request did so in a very friendly and helpful manner!

Wow that IS impressive- attention to detail Heljan. There was a Model Rail masterclass a few years ago on the Metrovics, I'm sure Heljan know about that

B) Ooh Wibble.............

I have always been fascinated with these things since glimpsing D5705 through my binoculars at Swindon works as a youth back in the early 1980's, and having read about them in Brian Haresnapes excellent "Fleet survey" books which I eagerly purchased from Dave Cleal when he had his shop in Chandlers Ford.........Oh for a time machine to take me back to happier days.

D5700 & D5705 duly ordered with no hesitation whatsoever, the sheer joy of potential Co-Bo ownership is enough to make me smile even when looking at my dodgy pair of Claytons :D

Would be happy if a couple of quid from each sale was going towards the restoration of D5705 though (as Heljan have done with one of their Class 15's), it may get the old girl up and running long enough to get the makings of a good sound chip! ;)

I take it there is no estimated release date as of yet?

There is a a form of contribution been made to us although I'm not at liberty to say exactly what it is. But rest assured that a small part of your sale will go to D5705s restoration. B)

• RMweb Gold

There is a a form of contribution been made to us although I'm not at libertly to say exactly what it is. But rest assured that a small part of your sale will go to D5705s restoration. B)

That's great to hear D605Eagle, and keep up the good work! Would love to hear a Crossley one day having missed out on the ones here.

Question. Did they double head a lot on their runs?

AFAIK they were used in pairs on Midland Line expresses out of St. Pancras. There was a tale, though, of one expiring before leaving St. P and the other only managing to get as far as Kentish Town.

Single units were used on Derby-Manchester trains.

Anyone want a pair of HD ones?

Richard

I've just been in contact with Hattons to confirm the spec of D5700 Full BR Green (as delivered into service) ref no: UK 2800 as I was wondering about the front cab window arrangement.

This model will feature the correct original wrap around front windows whilst the remaining models will have the later flat front version so there will be two versions to choose from.

I'd like to add that the lady who dealt with my pedantic request did so in a very friendly and helpful manner!

Would have been my first question too - early (wraparound cab windows) or late? But both, now that really is a very welcome surprise. No question I'll order a plain green one on the strentgh of that - for test runs on the ER! Love 'em or hate 'em and I know there are those of us in both camps, Heljan is producing stuff in r-t-r form that otherwise we could have only dreamed of, so hat's off to them in that respect. Now, along with their other product announcements, could we have 'as delivered into service' versions of the CL26 and Baby Deltic please. Oh and a DP2, then I'll call it a day, I'm not greedy!

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered mine so it's time to 'Fire up the Co-Bo' sound project and do some more work on it!

This is the original version on ESU Loksound chip, I have subsequently done a Zimo version with a bigger bass speaker.

Peter

The following list shows the small quantities being produced.

2800 Class 28 Co-Bo Diesel D5700 Full BR Green (as delivered into service)

2801 Class 28 Co-Bo Diesel D5705 BR Green with Small Yellow Panels (as preserved)

2802 Class 28 Co-Bo Diesel D5707 BR Green with Full Yellow Ends

2803 Class 28 Co-Bo Diesel D5718 BR Green with Small Yellow Panels (Weathered)

2804 Class 28 Co-Bo Diesel D5708 BR Green with Full Yellow Ends (Weathered)

2805 Class 28 Co-Bo Diesel D5701 BR Blue

2806 Class 28 Co-Bo Diesel D5701 BR Blue (Weathered)

I'd expect these to sell out well before the anticipated delivery of Q1 2011.

Regards

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Was 5701 the only class member to get standard blue?

I believe that's correct Ian. Their early withdrawal ensured that they didn't become part of the Blue Revolution.