Heljan class 28

class29returns

The version with wrap-around windows is surely a first in 4mm as the others mainly kits (incl the old Dublo model) had the

later windows-well done Heljan! Its great that they are in the market place really despite the odd goof (like the class 52) -all we need now is a NB class 21 and maybe

even their small D2700 shunters.

Then when we have really run out of diesels......Scottish steam at last?

• RMweb Gold

Just had an email from Hattons with more details;

"Following the great success of the Hattons and Heljan Class 14 project we are delighted to announce our next exclusive Special Commission. This will take the form of the Metropolitan-Vickers Class 28 Co-Bo locomotive. 20 of these locomotives were produced in the late 1950's and were well-known for being the main locomotives to haul the new 'Condor' freightliner service for BR in 1959, hauling this in pairs from London to Glasgow. "

The models will feature:

All wheel drive

Sprung Buffers

RP25 wheel profiles

All wheel pickup

Centrally mounted motor

Flywheels

Separate Handrails

8 open and 8 closed headcode discs

Bufferbeam piping

See through roof grill

Detailed side grills

Fully detailed underframe

Yellow and Red LED lighting

8 pin DCC socket

Full metal chassis

NEM coupling pocket

Livery application will be up to Heljan's usual high standard and weathering will be applied to the underframes and roof including exhaust stains.

Delivery is anticipated during the first quarter of 2011."

The version with wrap-around windows is surely a first in 4mm as the others mainly kits (incl the old Dublo model) had the

later windows-well done Heljan! Its great that they are in the market place really despite the odd goof (like the class 52) -all we need now is a NB class 21 and maybe

I've just received the following response from Hattons to my query regarding the two types i.e. later flat window versions vs. wraparound on the originals:

Quote:

As the Class 28's are still in the early stage of production we have not got all the specific details.

However from the designs from our modelling department it looks as though it is not a wrap around front cab on any of the editions.

More information should be available as the release date (2011) gets nearer. Unquote.

I would be highly surprised to see both versions on a limited edition run although anything's possible. Does anyone know when the modified cab windows first started appearing - in particular, did any actually run in original plain green with the later 'flat' windows?

I've just received the following response from Hattons to my query regarding the two types i.e. later flat window versions vs. wraparound on the originals:

Quote:

As the Class 28's are still in the early stage of production we have not got all the specific details.

However from the designs from our modelling department it looks as though it is not a wrap around front cab on any of the editions.

More information should be available as the release date (2011) gets nearer. Unquote.

I would be highly surprised to see both versions on a limited edition run although anything's possible. Does anyone know when the modified cab windows first started appearing - in particular, did any actually run in original plain green with the later 'flat' windows?

The e-mail response there must be an oversight from one of their staff, according to the page of the plain green one here http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=33375 it clearly states 'Wrap round windows as delivered' in the description.

Guest Max Stafford

With this, the Derby lightweights, the big Ivatts, 9Fs and Black Fives,'Workington, 1967' is becoming a very workable scenario. With the Scenecraft LNW signalbox already around, the notion of a layout set in 'Marra-land' is becoming very attractive!

Bet 'Mines a pint' is well chuffed! ;)

Dave.

Its going to be expensive between now and mid 2011 with whats due out. Ordered D5705 green small yellow ends will look good amongst my other North West based stock.

All that is needed now is the LMS twins in their final livery of green 10000 plain ends and 10001 with small yellow panels, (the only one of the two to get warning panels).

Also how about a Peak district layout, an excuse for a Blue Pullman as well

:) :) :) :) :) :)

... Does anyone know when the modified cab windows first started appearing - in particular, did any actually run in original plain green with the later 'flat' windows?

Random dip into Mr Haresnape's 'BR Fleet Survey' shows one with flat screens and SYP in 1963; I havent looked any further but it could have happened at first overhaul

Guest Phil

Nooooo.

We need a proper job doing on the EE type 4 and the BR sulzer 2s before that.

If Heljan are wanting to make some serious Krone out of us British modellers theres 400 odd baby Sulzer pitfalls in GNYP, GSYP, GFYE, Econ green, BSYP, BFYE, bare alloy windows, Scots numbers, English numbers blah blah blah.

Then theres 200 type 4s in all their variations with and without names etc.

Sorry but Scottish steam can be covered by those experts in the field - Barwell and Margate.

• RMweb Gold

Quote:... in particular, did any actually run in original plain green with the later 'flat' windows?

Looks like it, would prefer it to have the wraparound ones though....

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/start.html

(Gallery page two, top pic of D5711)

I'll take a piccy of the inside on D5705s cab next weekend when we shunt it out for measuring up to show how the windows have been plated over.

We did talk about reinstating the rap-rounds, but thats as far as it got. Looking at piccies they looked far more stylish with them.

Jim

. Does anyone know when the modified cab windows first started appearing - in particular, did any actually run in original plain green with the later 'flat' windows?

Looks like it, would prefer it to have the wraparound ones though....

http://nicwhe8.freeh...5705/start.html

(Gallery page two, top pic of D5711)

Nice though they are, those are not plain green as per the question but green/SYP. They're also dated 1963, hence no advance on the shot I mentioned, although I've now found a July '62 shot on Colin Marsden's '35 Years of Mainline Diesel Traction'. It's also GSYP but looks very fresh

From the Co-Bo World website, I trust Jim doesnt mind me extracting it for relevance:

The stored examples spent the winter of 1960/61 in store at Trafford Park shed until the Co-Bos were duly returned to Metropolitan Vickers' works at Dukinfield, Manchester to receive modifications and a general overhaul. .. By mid 1961, just two examples were available for traffic!

Whilst undergoing their heavy repairs, another source of annoyance was cured - the wraparound cab windows. Whilst these looked quite stylish and offered good forward views for the traincrew, they were susceptible to dropping out a high speed due to vibration! Bearing in mind that the maximum service speed of the Co-Bos was a relatively modest 75mph, this was quite a feat! This design fault necessitated the wraparound window frames to have new window frames welded inside the originals and a more robust rubber seal installed to hold the now flat window glass in place, a feature clearly visible on D5705.

After overhaul, the locomotives were not returned to Derby as expected, but were dispatched en-masse to Furness and West Cumberland where they spent the rest of their service lives pottering about the Cumbrian Coast and Lake District branch lines. The first examples trickled through in early 1962 and the remainder followed by the end of the year.

(my bold). As SYPs were established by that time, it would seem likely that any with rebuilt screens had that treatment

I'm surprised at the relatively low number produced in original green, hopefully with the wrap-around screens. Still, it scared me into pre-ordering one! :rolleyes:

Cheers, Peter C.

As usual - a mine of information on this site! Thanks chaps. So it looks like plain green only carried the 'wrap round' windows and the modification took place at the same time SYP's were added. Seeing as there appears to be conflicting information from Hattons - i.e. I was told flat faces on all versions but the site quite clearly states ' wrap round windows as delivered' (as 59205 points out) on D5700 green only version but not the others, I'll check with them again to be certain.

• RMweb Premium

I can say from personal observation that soon after they appeared they were to be seen regularly on Midland expresses at Derby. Always in pairs as I recall, and I believe it would have been summer of 1959 rather than 1958. One particular day sticks in my mind when I think about half the class was seen between about 1030 and 1700!

• RMweb Gold

I can say from personal observation that soon after they appeared they were to be seen regularly on Midland expresses at Derby. Always in pairs as I recall, and I believe it would have been summer of 1959 rather than 1958. One particular day sticks in my mind when I think about half the class was seen between about 1030 and 1700!

Worked in tandem on St.Pancras-Manchester Central turns 1959&1960.If I recollect,with interconnecting doors coupled.Surfaced 1963-64 working Furness Line turns.

• RMweb Gold

So it looks like plain green only carried the 'wrap round' windows and the modification took place at the same time SYP's were added.

The top photo at http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/gallery/gallery2/gallery2.html appears to be D5711 without SYPs but with the later windows.

As it's at Trafford Park it may have been while it was in store, but it has clearly had the modifications and no front end repaint.

Martin C

• Like 1

I think they were mostly double headed on the Condor runs though I don't think the weight of the train needed it most of the time.

Early in their careers they also sometimes worked Midland Main Line expresses in tandem (see Les Nixon's "British Rail In Colour" album for photo).

David

The top photo at http://nicwhe8.freeh...2/gallery2.html appears to be D5711 without SYPs but with the later windows.

As it's at Trafford Park it may have been while it was in store, but it has clearly had the modifications and no front end repaint.

Martin C

Many thanks for that Martin. A further call to Hattons jsut now and they assure me that D5700 (plain green) will definitely feature wrap round windows as advertised. Oh dear, may have to order both versions now. Not a word to SWMBO...................