Heljan class 28

class29returns

• RMweb Gold

Nice though they are, those are not plain green as per the question but green/SYP. They're also dated 1963, hence no advance on the shot I mentioned, although I've now found a July '62 shot on Colin Marsden's '35 Years of Mainline Diesel Traction'. It's also GSYP but looks very fresh

As I stated in my post:

http://nicwhe8.freeh...5705/start.html

(Gallery page two, top pic of D5711)

Looks like plain green with no wraparound windows to me wink.gif

• RMweb Premium
Not a word to SWMBO...................

These initials seem increasingly to stand for "She Who Might Bail Out" <_< . In the financial context of course, not the domestic one! B)

• RMweb Gold

As many of you know Derby RTC ended up with one, seen here at East Leake on the Great Central in1969 (and I do know at least some of you have seen this photo before!).

post-5613-127393288061_thumb.jpg

Class 28 S15705 at East Leake, Great Central April 1969.

More photos of it in my gallery at:

http://daveseastmidl...ve.fotopic.net/

Look in the Great Central Bulwell through Nottingham to Loughborough Collection in the gallery.

David

• Like 3

I don't know whether to be really happy, or cry; it's going to be expensive for me when these come out. I held off on the class 14s, and am glad I did as I quite fancy the Loadhaul liveried one that's forthcoming. The weathered BR blue class 28 looks interesting, but that's a lot of squids to now have to save up.

Does anybody think that some interesting liveries may appear in the second batch that Hattons will inevitably produce? What livery might the class 28 suit from the later BR period? I think RTC red/blue probably would have and maybe Dutch.

As I stated in my post:

http://nicwhe8.freeh...5705/start.html

(Gallery page two, top pic of D5711)

Looks like plain green with no wraparound windows to me wink.gif

So it does, my apologies, I was looking at Gallery 1rolleyes.gif You could have linked straight to ittongue.gif

Looks like at least 5711 was done before the work at Barrow then, maybe it was a guinea pig

I don't know whether to be really happy, or cry; it's going to be expensive for me when these come out. I held off on the class 14s, and am glad I did as I quite fancy the Loadhaul liveried one that's forthcoming. The weathered BR blue class 28 looks interesting, but that's a lot of squids to now have to save up.

Does anybody think that some interesting liveries may appear in the second batch that Hattons will inevitably produce? What livery might the class 28 suit from the later BR period? I think RTC red/blue probably would have and maybe Dutch.

I have it on good authority from my Liverpool contact * that the later fictional liveries will be:

West Coast Railway Co maroon

Provincial MerseyRail

Midland Mainline 'Rio' monastral blue

First Capital Connect Dynamic Lights and

Plain Arriva Teal

* Mr K Dodd

The link just ends up at an advertising page for the hosting company when I click it... :angry:

Works for me, now.

I suspect a lot of these sleepy sites get taken down for a short while by their providers when traffic to the site increases by a million percent. The sudden interest in Crossley powered locomotives may have just done that...

I have it on good authority from my Liverpool contact * that the later fictional liveries will be:

West Coast Railway Co maroon

Provincial MerseyRail

Midland Mainline 'Rio' monastral blue

First Capital Connect Dynamic Lights and

Plain Arriva Teal

* Mr K Dodd

Given the class nickname that has been alluded to on RMWeb before now, how about a comedy livery based on a "Wonderloaf" bread wrapper? ;)

On a more serious note - Railfreight grey with or without a red solebar stripe should look OK; the mention of RTC livery as used on the class 24 (97201??) sounds good also. Anything too plain with a lack of emblems or lining to break things up would only over-emphasise the slab-sided look of the design (as per a thread not so long back about "reverse" Pullman livery looking rather dodgy on the older style of Pullmans).

David

• RMweb Premium

There's an article on the Co-Bos in the current (May) British Railways Illustrated. One photo, dated June 1961, shows D5705 and D5701 on shed at Derby, both still in plain green, but with the revised front windows.

Guest Phil

Thanks for posting those pics Jim.

There certainly wasn't a great deal of corner pillar crash protection on them as-built then :unsure::blink:

Thanks for posting those pics Jim.

There certainly wasn't a great deal of corner pillar crash protection on them as-built then :unsure::blink:

Do any of the non nose diesels have much in the way of crash protection? Most of them seemed to lose a nose if they hit anything substantial.

• RMweb Gold

Do any of the non nose diesels have much in the way of crash protection? Most of them seemed to lose a nose if they hit anything substantial.

No - just a bit of steel sheet and the control desk, all rather flimsy in accident damage terms as a collision between an HST power car nose and a Brush Type 4 (Class 47) at Landore demonstrated - the 'plastic' HST nose was considerably stronger than the Brush's front end and inflicted mortal damage to it.

The cab of a D10XX (Class 52) was more or less totally destroyed back to the corridor bulkhead when it hit a pannier tank head on.

The message is simple - standard steel loco cabs of the 1960 era were not particularly collision resisitant, end of story.

• Like 2

Guest 838rapid

I bought a model of 28005 from Howes last year.

Its in Railfreight colours.

Carries it well.

Was thinking of stripping it back to body and respraying it green,but alas :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I will try and get some pictures of it

Guest 838rapid

Sorry for the delay in replies with the pictures.

post-7937-127485675212_thumb.jpg

post-7937-127485682793_thumb.jpg

post-7937-127485679974_thumb.jpg

As you can hopefully see the loco has been fitted with a proper headcode panel and has lost its gangway doors.

After buying the loco it seemed a shame to destroy all the good work that had taken place.

Just a shame it doesnt want to run.

I dont think its a Hornby cobo,it seems to be a more modern loco

Sorry for the delay in replies with the pictures.

As you can hopefully see the loco has been fitted with a proper headcode panel and has lost its gangway doors.

After buying the loco it seemed a shame to destroy all the good work that had taken place.

Just a shame it doesnt want to run.

I dont think its a Hornby cobo,it seems to be a more modern loco

I'm glad to see that a few kettles were also retained in service when these pictures were taken, presumably around Carnfroth.

EDIT: is that some sort of Wonderloaf servicing kit in the background, too? wink.gif

• Like 1