Axle will not fit in bearings, what do I do?

2 hours ago, ianLMS said:

yes sorry - I have sets of tapered "broaches" for up to about 3mm holes/bearings and I have one tapered "reamer" for 1/8" bearings. I will now be looking for straight reamers to add to my ever growing tool kit! 

Are these suitable?

https://www.cutwel.co.uk/hole-making/reamers/hsshsse-hand-reamers/hss-straight-flute-hand-reamer-yg-1-k1143-series

I assume 3.2mm is closest to 1/8th Inch.

Either way - To stay on-topic as it where, I rarely have a bearing which the axle slides through immediately without the need to take some of the burrs off from the milling/manufacturing process. 

Ian

You should be able still to buy 1/8" th reamers, think I got mine from Hobby Holidays or Eileen's 

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Ian

You should be able still to buy 1/8" th reamers, think I got mine from Hobby Holidays or Eileen's 

Squires do Dormer ones (high quality) but they are not cheap ⅛" is £21.99 & 2mm is £33.99 each

I would be tempted to get a set each of cutting broaches and smoothing broaches

6 pieces each set for £25.99 each set.

Edited by melmerby

15 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Squires do Dormer ones (high quality) but they are not cheap ⅛" is £21.99 & 2mm is £33.99 each

I would be tempted to get a set each of cutting broaches and smoothing broaches

6 pieces each set for £25.99 each set.

I bought a cheap set of broaches at a show, perfect for opening small holes in etches, also bought 3 larger ones, on reflection the Dormer reamer came with some other items in an eBay lot (now found they are not cheap, perhaps a cheaper brand will work if not used a lot

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I bought a cheap set of broaches at a show, perfect for opening small holes in etches, also bought 3 larger ones, on reflection the Dormer reamer came with some other items in an eBay lot (now found they are not cheap, perhaps a cheaper brand will work if not used a lot

As we generally tend to ream/broach in brass, I wouldn't have thought longevity to be an issue?

Mike.

13 hours ago, micklner said:

2mm HSS version for £6  £9.50 for 1/8 inch  both on ebay

It must have been the 3/16ths I bought new, just found the website https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/1-8--HAND-REAMER--HIGH-SPEED--2382.html  I would have blinked at £20 +  

I try and buy these tools from Phil who owns Hobby Holidays

http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/products.php?cat=75

His reamers are £10, I have the broach set 0.6  to  2 mm for small holes on etches, gone up to £18 now (I think a few years back I paid a tenner

I also have 3 larger ones 2.7, 3.2 & 4.2 mm the largest for enlarging holes to accept axle bearings in etched frames, just buy them as & when needed

For more expensive tools just ask the family to chip in together, last year they got me a digital soldering station. saves them the issue of finding items I would like/use 

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered the 2mm and 1/8th" reamers from Eilleens. Thank you for the advice and guidance! I have plenty of broaches and smoothers. Hopefully the bearings i fit will now be straight instead of tapered!!! 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some progress today.  I spoke to Branchlines who make the remotoring kit and they were very helpful - full marks to them.  The reason for the bearings and reducers is so the kit can be made for different gauges, ie OO, EM and P4 with the right wheel sizes - sounds like a sensible approach to me.  Two new sets of axles are in the post to replace the ones I bent, plus they have told me the best way of removing the insulated wheels off the axles. :rolleyes:

I’ve also ordered a 2mm reamer to open up the bearings a fraction.

I have certainly learnt a great deal which will help me with future projects too.

• Like 2

On 15/01/2020 at 22:48, ColinK said:

Some progress today.  I spoke to Branchlines who make the remotoring kit and they were very helpful - full marks to them.  The reason for the bearings and reducers is so the kit can be made for different gauges, ie OO, EM and P4 with the right wheel sizes - sounds like a sensible approach to me.  Two new sets of axles are in the post to replace the ones I bent, plus they have told me the best way of removing the insulated wheels off the axles. :rolleyes:

I’ve also ordered a 2mm reamer to open up the bearings a fraction.

I have certainly learnt a great deal which will help me with future projects too.

Colin

Modelling is a constant learning process, once/if you stop learning half the fun disappears

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a little bit of time for modelling today and thanks to everyone’s help I’ve sorted it.  I put the 2mm reamer into a pin vice and a couple of turns resulted in holes in the bearings that the axles now go through. The amount of metal removed was minute.  Only took 5 minutes.  The components are now in the paintshop with primer applied (obviously not to the bearings.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Job done.  I did have to wrap a bit of very fine abrasive paper round one axle to remove a tiny blip so the gear would go on.  Thanks everyone for your help.

7FCCAB4E-D362-481A-A4A4-2806E28B11E7.jpeg.d8df2c67e2d909dc1674c44719ba49a9.jpeg

As I’ll probably need more help as the project continues, I’ve started a new topic ‘re-motoring a Hornby Pacer’.

• Like 2