43xx stays

Does anybody know the correct diameter of the stays on the front of a 43xx. The 4mm Mitchell kit suggests using 0.9mm wire but eyeballing this looks too thick scaling at 2.7” diameter.

Thanks in anticipation

Mark Humphrys

46 minutes ago, bécasse said:

Which comes out as just under 0,8 mm in 4mm scale, suggesting that, with paint on it, 0.7 or 0,75 mm ø wire might be a better starting point.

Thanks for your help. I will use 0.8mm which is nearly always under size slightly so that will allow for paint.

Mark Humphrys

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the stays on the Prairie at the SVR not long ago and decided they were at least 2 1/2"  inches. As usual of course I didn't have any means of measuring accurately, but that said I live only 8 miles from Bridgnorth, so will be going there again soon. Got some old magazines to donate to the cause...

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of notes, taken by a late relative who measured a 43xx in the mid 50's for a 7mm scale model he was building. His notes state the stays were 2 5/8" diameter, taken at the buffer beam end where paint had worn away. 

Incidentally,  I still have the unfinished model packed away. It's a work of art that I will definitely be finishing one day.

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

I have a set of notes, taken by a late relative who measured a 43xx in the mid 50's for a 7mm scale model he was building. His notes state the stays were 2 5/8" diameter, taken at the buffer beam end where paint had worn away. 

0,875 mm in 4 mm scale, 1,533 mm in 7 mm and 0,437 mm in 2 mm.