Kato wiring ....................

simonkilvington

Hi,

your track plan should work fine. Just to clarify, the red and black wires on Kato points drive the in built point motors. If you want to change them with dcc, you can connect the two wires from the point to a suitable accessory decoder (one capable of driving two wire point motors). I have used the digitrax ds52 in the past for this, and they have worked very well.

With regards to connecting your track to your dcc system, this can be made very simple. If you configure each of your points to constantly pass power all the time (this is done by altering one of the small screws on the bottom of each point) then the two wires from your dcc system should power every part of the track all of the time. This is one of the benefits of the Kato track system for dcc users.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, TheKeg said:

Hi,

your track plan should work fine. Just to clarify, the red and black wires on Kato points drive the in built point motors. If you want to change them with dcc, you can connect the two wires from the point to a suitable accessory decoder (one capable of driving two wire point motors). I have used the digitrax ds52 in the past for this, and they have worked very well.

With regards to connecting your track to your dcc system, this can be made very simple. If you configure each of your points to constantly pass power all the time (this is done by altering one of the small screws on the bottom of each point) then the two wires from your dcc system should power every part of the track all of the time. This is one of the benefits of the Kato track system for dcc users.

The DCC Concepts ADS-2SX decoder (coming back into stock very soon if another thread is correct) will work Kato motors when fitted with the SDC 3 to 2 wire adapter.

" If you configure each of your points to constantly pass power all the time (this is done by altering one of the small screws on the bottom of each point) then the two wires from your dcc system should power every part of the track all of the time. "

Thank you as not all my points are not isolated, this was my next question.

:-

If I connect my z21 to the bottom track, with blue going to the top rail. And points 1 are NOT isolated, so straight 1 or 2 have power. Then points 2 ARE isolated. So everything is dead from this point. As I have been told NOT to directly connect my red and black wires out of my points to the bus wire, I cannot check, at this moment in time, to see IF the track is also fed power, or if it is just the point motor ?

3 hours ago, simonkilvington said:

I have just looked at my N gauge points ...............................

It is OO gauge !

Which are different.

That does indeed change the situation.

https://jamestrainparts.com/2018/04/02/improving-kato-unitrack-ho-points-for-dcc-operation/
This is quite a useful guide for modifying the HO points for better DCC use.