Dapol 08 0 gauge D3120 sound / smoke options

woodys

Hi, 

I've some experience with fitting and running a range of 00 sound locos. 

I've just bought a Dapol 0 gauge D3120 and will run it on a small end to end layout, so wish to decide on a sound / smoke project to fit myself, there are some posts on this but things are moving fast and there are likely to be new ideas around, so any useful information would be much appreciated.

I'd like to produce the best sound possible and I know it's subjective up to a point but all constructive views are welcome.

Dont mind fitting more than one speaker.

Dapol suggest ZimoMX644, is this the best?

I like biffomans sound as it can isolate the throttle from the movement - good on a small layout, do any others also do this?

I use a NCE powercab so the first ten functions are easiest to work.

No experience with smoke, is it worth the effort for an 08.?

I have the 08 with the Zimo you reference.  I got mine from Digitrains and I can recommend it.  Paul Chetter did the sound file and it is very good.  I'm also using NCE and you can access functions beyond 9 by pressing "Options" IIRC.  Anyway check the manual.  It is a bit of a faff I admit.

As for smoke, unless things have moved on significantly, I've never seen convincing smoke so I wouldn't do it.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, woodys said:

I'd like to produce the best sound possible and I know it's subjective up to a point but all constructive views are welcome.

Worth reading through the 08 thread on the Dapol section. Links to peoples videos etc.

• RMweb Gold

I have the Digitrains / Paul Chetter sound Zimo in mine - thoroughly recommended. Also have a large 'stay-alive', again Digitrains which helps considerably.

The Function access on the NCE is a bit of a pain, but I've got mine connected via a USB interface to a Raspberry Pi / JMRI and running off an old android phone (Engine Driver App) which makes operating much easier. 

• Agree 1

Fitting a Zimo MX644D  sound decoder with Class 08 sound allows you to operate the lights as Dapol intended without modifying the model's wiring.

Digitrain's version also has 'speed lock' which serves to separate throttle from movement allowing the throttle to be used to raise or lower engine revs independently. (F key 7).

Best regards,

Paul

I've just fitted the Digitrains Zimo chip and sound...yep sounds great, thanks for all the advice...!

On 11/01/2020 at 11:24, mudmagnet said:

I have the Digitrains / Paul Chetter sound Zimo in mine - thoroughly recommended. Also have a large 'stay-alive', again Digitrains which helps considerably.

The Function access on the NCE is a bit of a pain, but I've got mine connected via a USB interface to a Raspberry Pi / JMRI and running off an old android phone (Engine Driver App) which makes operating much easier. 

Moving off topic, but thanks for the info re : NCE....is this relatively straightforward to set up, I can't be done with those fiddly cab button sequences.

23 minutes ago, woodys said:

I've just fitted the Digitrains Zimo chip and sound...yep sounds great, thanks for all the advice...!

Moving off topic, but thanks for the info re : NCE....is this relatively straightforward to set up, I can't be done with those fiddly cab button sequences.

Depends on how you define fiddly I guess.  I've only ever used NCE and find it to be very good.  I will concede the possibility that better systems exist now, NCE has been around a long time.

If you want to use a function > 10, it's one extra button.  There are two ranges when you press "options" , 11 -20 and 21- 30.  Press the last digit of the function you want.  It is in the book.

John

18 hours ago, brossard said:

Depends on how you define fiddly I guess.  I've only ever used NCE and find it to be very good.  I will concede the possibility that better systems exist now, NCE has been around a long time.

If you want to use a function > 10, it's one extra button.  There are two ranges when you press "options" , 11 -20 and 21- 30.  Press the last digit of the function you want.  It is in the book.

John

Hi John, 

Thanks for your interest in this post, I appreciate your (and others) opinion on the zimo chip which I've now fitted. In case you're wondering I do know how to use the NCE system, I have a two cab walkaround setup that I've been using for a number of years....but thanks for telling me twice and directing me to the user manual. I'll let you know when I've worked out a better user interface for the fiddly little buttons.