Compressed Air Trams

rue_d_etropal

If you want to see a vast amount of old computer visit Bletchley Park. As well as the WW2 related Bombe (not really quite a programmable computer) and Colossus Working replicas, there is a separate museum on the same site devoted to machines from 1950s to c20 years ago. The one I found most fascinating was a machine that uses ten-state thermionic valves, which came from Harwell IIRC.

Theres a very good radio museum on the site too, and if you want to make a full day of the history of telecoms, the Milton Keynes museum about five miles away has an absolutely excellent large gallery covering telegraphy and telephony, funded mostly by BT.

https://bletchleypark.org.uk/visit-us/the-national-museum-of-computing

Edited by Nearholmer

The new Luxembourg tram system used overhead outside the city and battery power in the central area. Batteries are roof-mounted we were lucky to be in Lux during the pre-opening "open day" at the depot with circular tours of the depot, control centre, the lot. A superb day out.

7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

If you want to see a vast amount of old computer visit Bletchley Park. As well as the WW2 related Bombe (not really quite a programmable computer) and Colossus Working replicas, there is a separate museum on the same site devoted to machines from 1950s to c20 years ago. The one I found most fascinating was a machine that uses ten-state thermionic valves, which came from Harwell IIRC.

Theres a very good radio museum on the site too, and if you want to make a full day of the history of telecoms, the Milton Keynes museum about five miles away has an absolutely excellent large gallery covering telegraphy and telephony, funded mostly by BT.

Bletchley Park has been on my list of places to see when I’m out and about in the area for years, I must make the effort. 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Been twice on different days as some huts are not open on certain days.

Used to be home to the Milton Keynes MRC until they got evicted, having refurbished a derelict hut for their own use!