00 Sierraton Main Line/Carltonholme Branch Line Terminus

Steam here!

Hi, RMWEB members,

I've been reading various forums on here for a while and I have decided to join.

I have been working on my first proper layout oo gauge (Analogue), its a freelance (I run anything that interests, History, presevation, era, livery, role tital, location etc).

Where possible I try to run realistic trains and rolling stock.

(What I have available).

Example:

SECR (livery) H class & SECR (ivery) birdcage coaches.

LMS Princess Coronation class & LMS coaches.

British Rail 9F and mk1 coaches.

All locos and rolling stock I'm interested in are ready to run (RTR) and in pristine condition, weathering  locos and rolling stock, its just not for me.

How ever I do use weathering for other things on the layout.

Where possible with time permitting, I add detail to my locos, I also change the slimline tension lock coupling for Hornby R8267 medium couplings (just a preferable choice from experience). I found it easier to couple up on corners, using the Hornby R8267 medium couplings.

I also use Hornby R8220 NEM pocket close couplings for fixed rakes of my coaches providing there is a NEM pocket.

All track is code 100, all points are peco and are train set track, due to space.

Inside the inner loop = main MPD site.

Outer Loop = long storage siding (to show a fictional secoundary branchline that ended up just being a long siding, big enough to hold 3 mk1 coaches.

The main branchline due to space limitations I have had to imcorpoate 3 road bridges over the entrance.

The main run around loops (main line) for 2nd and 3rd radius curves in length:

Equates to Hornby track :

8 X R600 + 8 X R607 (Inner loop)

8 X R600 + 8 X R609 (outer loop)

(Please note)!

Both loops are indivually controlled and are isolated. Between both set of crossovers.

I also have a branchline section to the bottom left currently developing.

The layout if you can picture it in your head.

L Shape= now rotate 90° clockwise.

To give you more of an understanding of the shape.

I will add photos later on and when I can.

I haven't chosen the two station names yet ( I'm not sure what to call them).

The layout is at the very early stages and will continue to develop over time.

Thank you for your interest.

Edited by Steam here!
I missed out some detail.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Examples of detail I add to locos.

Real coal, headlamps, vac pipes and if the loco is for expresses, headboard as well.

Here we see BR 9F no: 92220 "Evening Star" posing before pulling the "Pines Express."

Also Ex-LNER A4 no: 60023 "Golden Eagle" posing before pulling "The Elizabethan."

15787732286342106412625.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, Steam here! said:

Hi Harlequin, I've recently joined rmweb and wasn't sure which forum, catagory to put this in. Any ideas or suggestions?

Would you also know how to move this across to a different catagory (the appropiate catagory)?

There is a forum called Layout Topics which would be perfect.

If you want to get it moved you will need to speak to a moderator.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Steam here! said:

Hi Harlequin, I've recently joined rmweb and wasn't sure which forum, catagory to put this in. Any ideas or suggestions?

Would you also know how to move this across to a different catagory (the appropiate catagory)?

Hi Steamy,

I think the "Layout Topics" section would be better: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/87-layout-topics/

If you click "Report Post" in your opening post and ask the moderators to move it they will do it for you (hopefully).

Hi everyone just a quick question here, regarding the type of signal needed for leaving the siding to join the main line.

I'll be using the brown patch between the fencing and the bit of white card sticking out from under, the track.

(Signals I'll be using, semaphore= Hornby.

Ground signal= either springside or ratio

Ground frames= wills kits).

Would it be any of the following three?

Semaphore home or distant?

Ground signal?

Ground frame?

Thanks.

Then I'll be able to finish of this area including the Hornby mail bag post (the mail bag that would be put on the arm of the pole ready for the tpo to come past and catch the mail bag as it passes).

I'll also include later on a track plan of the Branch line station and its facilities.

(The other part of the layout).

1578855243571-49482718.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steam here! said:

Hi everyone just a quick question here, regarding the type of signal needed for leaving the siding to join the main line.

I'll be using the brown patch between the fencing and the bit of white card sticking out from under, the track.

(Signals I'll be using, semaphore= Hornby.

Ground signal= either springside or ratio

Ground frames= wills kits).

Would it be any of the following three?

Semaphore home or distant?

Ground signal?

Ground frame?

Thanks.

Then I'll be able to finish of this area including the Hornby mail bag post (the mail bag that would be put on the arm of the pole ready for the tpo to come past and catch the mail bag as it passes).

I'll also include later on a track plan of the Branch line station and its facilities.

(The other part of the layout).

1578855243571-49482718.jpg

What is the nature of the siding? Is it a relief siding?

While I can't say definitively of your using the Hornby signals the "junction signal" is probably the most correct.

This should have two signals on one post. One for controlling the mainline and one for controlling the siding.

• Like 1

AFAIK junction signals are only used as you approach a facing point, not for a trailing point like this one. I suggest that it would be a home signal or ground signal depending on where the next home signal is located. As I understand it a train must not be able to enter the next block section by only passing a ground signal.

Robert

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Started to quote Aire Head before I realised you'd already had the thread transferred to Layout Topics because that's the section I'm reading; I'm not at my best on Mondays!

To signal the exit from the siding, you need a single post home/starter signal to the left of the main running line approximately alongside the chimney of the grey loco on the siding.  Incidentally, this needs a ground signal at it's foot to control movements over the facing crossover to the other main line, or, if this is to be used for passenger carrying trains to access that line, a splitting bracket signal with the lower 'doll' post to the right of the main one.  Then you need another single post home/starter signal to the left of the siding, again alongside the grey loco's chimney.  You also, strictly speaking, need a 'trap' point to prevent a train in the grey loco's position overrunning the signal and fouling the main line; Peco make these in their Streamline range which is compatible with code 100 setrack.

A splitting bracket signal controls a facing junction on to a branch line or into a loop; the lower arm 'reading' to the branch or loop.  Sidings are normally accessed by trailing points so that trains leaving them can get on their way without too much fuss, but have to be backed into by arriving trains; this backing movement is normally controlled by a ground disc signal.  Where signalling into a bay platform is needed, the normal practice is to stop the train at a home signal, and have a subsidiary 'calling on' arm that permits access to the bay under caution to keep speed down.  Trains leaving the bay have their own starter signal and can get away without being detained once it is cleared.  Where a variety of routes can be set from the home signal, such as into a large station including mpd and carriage sidings, a back lit 'theatre' indicator is used in addition, with stencils indicating the platform or sidings the train is routed to; Ratio signal kits include a non-operating representation of this.

Semaphore signalling is a vast and complex subject which is either incredibly fascinating or equally dull and boring depending on your 'take' on the matter (mine is the former).  It is complicated by modellers' requirements, who tend to use track layouts which are difficult to signal properly within the 'rules' and anomalous situations abound.  In the case of continuous run layouts such as yours, the advanced starter signal is effectively the outer home for the same signal box as the train goes round and round rather than travelling somewhere, and often you just have to live with this.  The inevitable compression of a model sometimes means that signals have to be positioned unfeasibly close to each other, something else you just have to live with.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone and welcome back to the railway (the layout that I'm building).

I've been working on a few things and I thought it overdue for a layout update.

1st off the far corner of the main run round loops.

I have now added a windmill and added grass and painted the near surroundings.

1584907494594720148303.jpg

• Like 1

The platform ends and the adjoining footbridge to the road bridge.

Just a quick question regarding semaphore/ ground signals how do I go about positioning the end of the platforms? Also what signals would I need.

For the main four tracks for the two bridge portals behind the footbridge reading left to right.

Steam mpd

Bay Platform (platform 2 can hold 3 br Mk1s, for with a bit of interest).

= used as passanger (arrival and departures) perhaps the odd van delivery and for horses.

This will also be used be used for shunting/ storing freight every now and again.

Main Platform (platform 1 can hold up to 4 br mk1s, 5 with a bit of interest, can also be used for horses).

Run round loop.

Please note:

Dairy and fuel depot in the background.

Any help is much appreciated.

1584922373375-1153940516.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
  • Like 1

Top half of branch line goods yards and station entrances/ exits.

Left to right:

Dairy ( unfinished) storage (2 X 6 wheel tankers).

(There will be a fence sepeeating the dairy from the fuel depot).

Fuel depot (unfinished) (3 X 4 Wheel tankers, might be able to mix and match some 6 wheel fuel tankers).

Small steam Mpd (unfinished)

Please note: There will a fence between the bay platform track and the steam mpd, with a gate and barrow crossing on the track to get equipment to the front and back of the shed. (This is to give a reassurance of the safety side of things).

Bay platform (platform 2)

Main Platform (Platform 1)

Run round loop.

Note: The Peco pl-11 surface point motors all wired and working.

158492318416886582292.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
  • Like 1

The other end (the end of the line).

Left to right:

Short storage siding (can hold 1 X br mk1 coach or 3 X 7 plank wagons)

End of the main platform I will place a water crane down this end of the main platform due to lack of space at the other end.

The bay platform will either have one down this end or the other end.

(Both platforms each have an isolating switch which have come in handy).

Due to lack of space I have put the cattle dock on the bay platform.

The steam MPD headshunt (a bit tight behind the cattledock, there is space on both sides for all locos assigned for branch line work. For operational interest, I have made it longer than originally intended. This is so I can deliver  1 X coal wagon to the shed behind example: LMS black 5.

Just in front of the cattle dock, a short storage siding, this can be used for stabling a second loco or mpd related wagons or a small crane, Oxford Rail will be bringing one out and I'm thinking of making this its siding, I just haven't decided yet.

Next to the shed head shunt is coal merchants and finally to the very far right is the goods shed, with the base of a Peco crane just slightly in front.

I've also weathered the rails giving a rusty affect and used cinders for the shed head shunt and coal merchants, I've also weathered the bottom half of the lorry to give it the impression its used a lot and that there is a healthy demand for coal and coke.

There are also Peco pl-11 surface point motors all wired and working down this end.

15849239850011219305624.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steam here! said:

The other end (the end of the line).

Left to right:

Short storage siding (can hold 1 X br mk1 coach or 3 X 7 plank wagons)

End of the main platform I will place a water crane down this end of the main platform due to lack of space at the other end.

The bay platform will either have one down this end or the other end.

(Both platforms each have an isolating switch which have come in handy).

Due to lack of space I have put the cattle dock on the bay platform.

The steam MPD headshunt (a bit tight behind the cattledock, there is space on both sides for all locos assigned for branch line work. For operational interest, I have made it longer than originally intended. This is so I can deliver  1 X coal wagon to the shed behind example: LMS black 5.

Just in front of the cattle dock, a short storage siding, this can be used for stabling a second loco or mpd related wagons or a small crane, Oxford Rail will be bringing one out and I'm thinking of making this its siding, I just haven't decided yet.

Next to the shed head shunt is coal merchants and finally to the very far right is the goods shed, with the base of a Peco crane just slightly in front.

I've also weathered the rails giving a rusty affect and used cinders for the shed head shunt and coal merchants, I've also weathered the bottom half of the lorry to give it the impression its used a lot and that there is a healthy demand for coal and coke.

There are also Peco pl-11 surface point motors all wired and working down this end.

15849239850011219305624.jpg

Done grand job for 1st layout here!!

looking forward to more now...

• Thanks 1

I've also come up with a name now for both my stations.

Branch line terminus: "Carltonholme"

Mainline station:

"Sierraton"

Goods yard sidings X 4 purpose:

Coal merchants

Goods shed

Dairy

Fuel depot

A brief History of fictional railway how it was all formed.

"Carltonholme" was originally a single platform with a loco release and a siding behind the only platform serving as a coal merchants (where the bay platform is now).

Thanks to the industrial revolution, there was a huge increase of rail transport for both passengers and freight.

The station was behind the times, it could not cope with 1 X platform and 1 X siding alone.

It was causing delays, deadlines for business wasn't getting met, there were back logs of problems, trains being late, passengers being late for work, poor storage for wagons and to add more problems the main focus was on the secoundary branchline which work had only just begun.

The decision was made to abandon the project of a second branch line and instead turn the track that had already been laid and ballasted into a siding (for storage and shunting puposes) and to focus on "Carltonholme".

With the focus all on "Carltonholme" devolping( enlarging) to meet with the nearby businesses that were booming.

The problems were dwindling down, it became a major hub, to see all sorts of trade, specials for horse racing Derbys, near farms, fresh milk for the working families and the nearby communities needing the coal for their homes and working lives.

A fish industry nearby greatly depending on the railway to transport it fish as soon as possible to ensure the fish still arrived fresh.

Not to mention it was just 2 miles short of reaching the coast, due to the poor and unstable terrains this was the furthest the line got.

Edited by Steam here!
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone just asking what's the best way of displaying the signals for the branch line entrances and the mainline.

Would I need I need a overhead ratio gantry?

I don't mind using ratio signals,

Would I be right reading left to right, the signals would be.

Run round loop = home signal

Main platform = home signal

Bay platform = home signal

Steam mpd = home signal

Goods yard = ground signal

Mainline = distant signal

For the opposite direction (trains coming towards the camera) = home signal

Outside main line tunnel will be home signal

Any help would be much appreciated.

15850506817631522375907.jpg

Edited by Steam here!