woko

First attempt at some Scenery

Wow!

Very impressive. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

You’ve obviously had a lot of fun with that and have produced a really convincing rock cutting. 

You are critical of the bridge, but the only thing I can see wrong with it is that it probably doesn’t need the wing walls, because it is built into solid rock. The wings are usually there to support what would otherwise be an unstable (eg. earth) embankment.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

You’ve obviously had a lot of fun with that and have produced a really convincing rock cutting. 

You are critical of the bridge, but the only thing I can see wrong with it is that it probably doesn’t need the wing walls, because it is built into solid rock. The wings are usually there to support what would otherwise be an unstable (eg. earth) embankment.

David

David you are of course exactly right, I hadn’t even thought of that, but true the wings don’t make any sense because its solid rock.... school boy error! Something to think about for my next model thank you!

And thanks to everyone for their kind comments cheers folks!

Rob

6 minutes ago, woko said:

David you are of course exactly right, I hadn’t even thought of that, but true the wings don’t make any sense because its solid rock.... school boy error! Something to think about for my next model thank you!

Is it too late to change it? The great thing about scenery work, is that any modifications and afterthoughts can easily be disguised with a bit of undergrowth or scenic scatter. That's certainly been the case on my layout so far.

David

1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

Is it too late to change it? The great thing about scenery work, is that any modifications and afterthoughts can easily be disguised with a bit of undergrowth or scenic scatter. That's certainly been the case on my layout so far.

David

Well nothing is ever to late to change I Imagine in the model railway world, though In this instance I have shipped it off to my dads who seems happy running trains past it already, I shall mention my Engineering error to him and see what he says, and if he wants it changed I will rip out the wings and sculpt some more rocks in place :) , though in the meantime I have 20 other odd sections I should crack on with as although his model railway isn't large, 11ftx6ft there hasn't been any scenic work done on it since he put the track down several years back hence I promised to do something for him, and the grandkids to enjoy! 

However David your feedback is most welcome as its all a big learning experience for me, and the next time I come to do this I shall be thinking.... Ahhh do I need these retaining wings or not!! :) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I scrolled to the second picture expecting that one to be your take on the real location shown in the first; this is a beautiful and realistic bit of modelling, and cannily photographed to boot!

• Agree 2

First attempt? It looks like the work of a seasoned and experienced modeller. Very nice. If your next attempts improve on the realism of your first, then . . . . 

• Thanks 1