R3819 Duchess Of Atholl

Co-tr-Paul

Perhaps deserves its own thread ? Limited edition of 500, diecast body on 2017 chassis to mark the 1940s era of Hornby production. Should be a top rate performer judging from the power to weight ratio ! Rapidly selling out as per orders. Due may.

download (1).jpeg

download.jpeg

• Like 1

There are so many fantastic-looking new locomotives, it's difficult to select a favourite .... this would be one, naturally.

It's so close to how I remember Duchess of Sutherland despite being a limited edition, I would probably rename / renumber her ... having ridden on the footplate several times at Bressingham in the 70's.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

The plastic bodied 'Duchess of Atholl' performed as well as my Wrenn 'City of Liverpool' and 'City of London' so it would be interesting to compare the new model with the Wrenn versions. I think that they all could pull about 14 Hornby LMS coaches.

I am not buying the new model as I have still got a Hornby Dublo version and the recent Hornby version.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

I thought that the Hornby Dublo ' Duchess of Atholl' came in a plain light blue box and the blue and white striped box with an illustration came with the 'Duchess of Montrose'  Also the box only contained the locomotive and you had to buy the tender as a separate item.

Indeed it did.  The H-D white & blue striped boxes did not appear until the 1950s.  My 'Duchess of Atholl' and its tender definitely came in plain blue boxes not that I can remember it arriving new but the boxes were around for years so well within my memory.  And plain blue H-D boxes continued well into the 1950s as I can easily remember wagons coming new in such boxes.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst they say ‘1940s’ in the blurb and also mention the plastic tender body, the early Dublo Duchesses had tinplate tender bodies - as has been mentioned elsewhere.  The box colour that I remember was red and white striped for two rail.  All a good nostalgia kick though, but perhaps more for us from the late fifties & sixties than forties!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And plain blue H-D boxes continued well into the 1950s as I can easily remember wagons coming new in such boxes.

Mid-50s 3-rail trainset boxes were plain blue too, with a picture pane glued on top.  My Silver King set* is in such a box.  The tender on Silver King has a tinplate body with a plastic moulding for the top coal load (warped very nicely), coaches are tinplate with litho sides in blood'n'custard!  The boxes only became differentiated when 2-rail was introduced, no doubt to help 2-rail buyers select wagons, etc that wouldn't short their track!

48 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

The box colour that I remember was red and white striped for two rail.

Yes, the new Atholl should really be in a red striped box. 

Unless Hornby have sneaked 3-rail plungers under the tender, with a switch alongside to change running mode...  :jester:

* Still works!

• Like 3

Does anyone know/think if R3819 will be like the ‘old’ tooling (a la R3119 Duchess of Abercorn), or the ‘new’ tooling (a la R3553 Duchess of Atholl)? The image appears (to my untrained eye) to be R3119 with the name and number digitally altered, but presumably it was easier to do that than digitally alter R3553 to have a double chimney? I know the body is going to be die cast so it will be a new tooling in that respect, but will it have all the improvements that the latest tooling has?

• Like 1

I felt compelled to buy something from the centenary range and plumped for this one as it seems to be the most 'special' single train that i could actually run within the normal context of the layout. The die-cast especially was a defining feature, plus it looks magnificent. 

LMS is a bit out of my current stable - can anyone suggest which carriages would best fit the model?

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, metijg said:

I felt compelled to buy something from the centenary range and plumped for this one as it seems to be the most 'special' single train that i could actually run within the normal context of the layout. The die-cast especially was a defining feature, plus it looks magnificent. 

LMS is a bit out of my current stable - can anyone suggest which carriages would best fit the model?

Stanier Period III coaches are probably the only suitable in Hornbys current range. Haven’t really done many other LMS super detail coaches. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Stanier Period III coaches are probably the only suitable in Hornbys current range. Haven’t really done many other LMS super detail coaches. 

@Hilux5972 I've got some follow up questions...!

I see both corridor and non-corridor coaches, with a slight difference in price (a fiver for a corridor!) is either more fitting? Can they be mixed in one train?

Thanks! 

29 minutes ago, metijg said:

@Hilux5972 I've got some follow up questions...!

I see both corridor and non-corridor coaches, with a slight difference in price (a fiver for a corridor!) is either more fitting? Can they be mixed in one train?

Thanks! 

Duchesses wouldn't be pulling suburban coaches, you want the corridor stock.

Shop around as many places have good deals on them. Check places like Kernow, Hattons, Rails, TMC, etc.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Duchesses wouldn't be pulling suburban coaches, you want the corridor stock.

Jason

That’s quite a broad statement. Duchesses certainly would be seen with non corridor suburban stock both on running in turns and fill in jobs. I should imagine during WWII it would be likely to see long trains made up pretty much of anything that was available although photo evidence of wartime running is pretty scarce. 

• Like 3

On 13/01/2020 at 03:50, 22C said:

Does anyone know/think if R3819 will be like the ‘old’ tooling (a la R3119 Duchess of Abercorn), or the ‘new’ tooling (a la R3553 Duchess of Atholl)? The image appears (to my untrained eye) to be R3119 with the name and number digitally altered, but presumably it was easier to do that than digitally alter R3553 to have a double chimney? I know the body is going to be die cast so it will be a new tooling in that respect, but will it have all the improvements that the latest tooling has?

Looks to me that the new die cast model has the older chassis without the super detail front under-frame, bevelled driving wheels, etc.  I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, considering the froth interest and noise when the latest plastic-body Atholl was released ... (but may have missed it).  In other words this is the 2008 era chassis, fat bogie front is a giveaway. Not bad but not the latest chassis.

On 11/01/2020 at 11:46, Co-tr-Paul said:

Perhaps deserves its own thread ? Limited edition of 500, diecast body on 2017 chassis to mark the 1940s era of Hornby production. Should be a top rate performer judging from the power to weight ratio ! Rapidly selling out as per orders. Due may.

download (1).jpeg

download.jpeg

Not the latest chassis, 

6231_Duchess_Atholl_Slide12.JPG.55281142f7b2e529a76f5dcad8de36de.jpg.f7d99329aff5098c15eab26062cb1b50.jpg

Here is the 2017 release.

6231_Duchess_of_Atholl_portrait1_2a_r1500.jpg.0eac76301786e0d8a7efa7c19d778988.jpg

Cheers    and I rather like my 1949 Atholl too! :)

None of the centenary releases are slavish copies of the originals but instead seek to capture the 'spirit', so I don't see much point in quibbling over whether it's a red or blue striped box, or two boxes, or a plastic tender. In the nicest possible way it's a pastiche, but a lovely one. Given how strongly it appears to have (pre-)sold, I wonder if Hornby might consider some more limited run diecast bodied locos in future under the Hornby Dublo name, one limited edition a year maybe?

The one that intrigues me is the 'Rovex' train set. I have an original with it's cellulose plastic components warped , the new set gives you a modern Princess (not sure if it's the immminent or current model but either way light years from the 1950s shorty) and two modern super detail Staniers, but all numbered and liveried as per the original items, albeit with lining and decoration that the originals most certainly did not have.

It's probably an ornament too far for me but it would be nice to see the 'old' and 'new' side by side

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

That’s quite a broad statement. Duchesses certainly would be seen with non corridor suburban stock both on running in turns and fill in jobs. I should imagine during WWII it would be likely to see long trains made up pretty much of anything that was available although photo evidence of wartime running is pretty scarce. 

Photographic evidence? And I don't mean end of steam photos of one in Cumbria with a few vans when they were being kept as spares for failed diesels.

They were express passenger locomotives. Apart from a few photos at the end of steam I've never seen one on anything else apart from expresses.

Besides the person was asking what was suitable for them so I answered. I could have gave him the formation of the late 1930s Royal Scot if he wanted and really confused matters. The train the non streamliners were mostly allocated to and why they were allocated to Camden and Polmadie, even during wartime.

Jason

Polmadie Duchesses were used on race-day specials to Ayr, made up of suburban stock. There are pictures of 46223 at Ayr station ("Ayrshire's Last Days of Steam" by W.A.C. Smith, p37) and Falkland Junction (April 2002 'Steam Days', p223) on race specials. To be honest, looking at details, I strongly suspect these two pictures are of the same train, though I have read more general references to Duchesses being used.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Photographic evidence? And I don't mean end of steam photos of one in Cumbria with a few vans when they were being kept as spares for failed diesels
Jason

I am simply saying it isn’t beyond the bounds of plausibility and the lack of a photo doesnt prove it never happened. Given that we are talking here about a model of a model it strikes me that the buyer could get a good rake of well finished LMS suburban coaches for a bargain price (currently 4 for £100 at Kernow!) and have an entirely believable scenario for both loco and coaches running together on their layout. There is as you know a prototype for everything even before invoking rule 1. 

• Agree 1

I'm surprised they are only making 500. Many dealers seem to have used up their allocation?

The price is elevated but reasonable given the extra work die-cast requires compared to injection plastic moulding.

If you compare the factory tour videos on youtube, Marklin-Trix and HAG metal bodies have the human file in action plus additional CNC machining whereas at Roco-Fleischmann the plastic bodies come out of the machine remarkable clean.

Brawa and ESU make Ho scale metal locomotives in China so perhaps Hornby should considering making a premium metal range too?

5 minutes ago, maico said:

...Brawa and ESU make HO scale metal locomotives in China so perhaps Hornby should considering making a premium metal range too?

I already own three quite recently released metal bodied steam models from Hornby (J15, D16/3, B12/3) the last of which taken overall is one of the best RTR OO steam models I own. Hornby have strangely neither promoted this aspect, or charged a noticeably premium price for it...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I already own three quite recently released metal bodied steam models from Hornby (J15, D16/3, B12/3) the last of which taken overall is one of the best RTR OO steam models I own. Hornby have strangely neither promoted this aspect, or charged a noticeably premium price for it...

Yes, Sam's Trains reviews mentions the metal boilers in his youtube reviews.

Edited by maico
  • Like 1