R3819 Duchess Of Atholl

Co-tr-Paul

• RMweb Premium

Shame they are only making 500 which have already been pre ordered. Inevitably some will go to collectors, others will go to speculators and end up commanding hugely inflated prices on eBay etc.Ces’t la vie

• Funny 1

These 'Speculators' consider themselves collectors ...

Perhaps some have a vague interest in railways, if not particularly model railways.

Many, as inferred will probably just put in a drawer as a 'keepsake' for 10-20 years, then bring it out 'one rainy day'.

It takes all sorts I suppose.

Al.

I ran my 70 year old Hornby Dublo Duchess of Atholl tonight at the Hornby Railway Collectors Association meeting at Corfe Mullen. It is worn out now as one of the wheels has come loose and a pin came out of a connecting rod and the rod and valve gear got tangled up and brought the model to a halt. It looks like it is time to replace it. In 1957 a friend showed me his Duchess of Atholl. I had never heard of it as Hornby was making the Duchess of Montrose as it's flagship locomotive. He had a double track layout with an A2 controller and it looked like the controller, rolling stock and locomotives were built to last a lifetime. People still rejuvenate Hornby Dublo locomotives so perhaps it is a case of perpetual motion. Another member managed to untangle the valve gear so my Duchess of Atholl is, just about, still running. 

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

In his interview on page 46 of the April 2020 Hornby Magazine about the Hornby Dublo Duchess of Atholl Simon Kohler says: " I learnt that the tender body for the original was plastic, which was a bonus, so it was really just the die-cast body for the locomotive that we had to produce. Everybody got onboard with that."

The tender body for the 'City of London' was made of plastic on a die cast chassis and was similar to the tender body for the 'Duchess of Atholl."

The Hornby Dublo 'Duchess of Atholl' had a die cast chassis with the wheels mounted on a tinplate sub frame. the tender body was made of tinplate which had tabs fixing the body to the chassis. The coal load was plastic,

• Agree 4

On 13/01/2020 at 23:50, robmcg said:

Looks to me that the new die cast model has the older chassis without the super detail front under-frame, bevelled driving wheels, etc.  I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, considering the froth interest and noise when the latest plastic-body Atholl was released ... (but may have missed it).  In other words this is the 2008 era chassis, fat bogie front is a giveaway. Not bad but not the latest chassis.

From looking at the development sample in the latest episode of Hornby’s Signal Box video, it looks as though R3819 will have all the improvements of the newer c2017 tooling i.e. detailed frames, wind deflectors on the cab sides etc. So perhaps the original product artwork is slightly misleading! 

3 hours ago, 22C said:

From looking at the development sample in the latest episode of Hornby’s Signal Box video, it looks as though R3819 will have all the improvements of the newer c2017 tooling i.e. detailed frames, wind deflectors on the cab sides etc. So perhaps the original product artwork is slightly misleading! 

Indeed it was misleading and the new metal body Atholl does indeed have the lovely new model chassis,  as shown here in a screen shot

6231_duchess_Image4.jpg.73576bce660d7e9125f50fe1e22734e2.jpg

The original artwork does show an old front bogie with lump in front, but clearly not o this evaluation running model. Apologies for jumping the gun as it were.

Great,  maybe I will buy one after all...   I have a late-40s version in 3-rail so really must have a 2020 version. :)  Edit; if I can find one for sale!

Only 500 to be made?

Edited by robmcg
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/03/2020 at 00:39, robmcg said:

Indeed it was misleading and the new metal body Atholl does indeed have the lovely new model chassis,  as shown here in a screen shot

6231_duchess_Image4.jpg.73576bce660d7e9125f50fe1e22734e2.jpg

The original artwork does show an old front bogie with lump in front, but clearly not o this evaluation running model. Apologies for jumping the gun as it were.

Great,  maybe I will buy one after all...   I have a late-40s version in 3-rail so really must have a 2020 version. :)  Edit; if I can find one for sale!

Only 500 to be made?

Thanks for the screenshot. In fairness, I would have been happy with the older tooling. I have a few Duchesses of the older tooling, which I really like. This will be my first of the new tooling (I have one on pre-order) - I hope it doesn’t make me want to replace my current Duchesses - I don’t have the money for that!

Hopefully you manage to get hold of one.

4 hours ago, 22C said:

Thanks for the screenshot. In fairness, I would have been happy with the older tooling. I have a few Duchesses of the older tooling, which I really like. This will be my first of the new tooling (I have one on pre-order) - I hope it doesn’t make me want to replace my current Duchesses - I don’t have the money for that!

Hopefully you manage to get hold of one.

Getting hold of one.  Now there's a riddle tied up in a conundrum...    a retailer I use for preference says they got an allowance three on pre-order, just like Hattons and Rails,  and have eight willing buyers at full retail, so it may be a simple draw from a hat, and of course unfortunately there will be some buyers wantig only to re-sell at a profit. Possibly 200 are for non UK retailers.

Actually not a very nice scenario.  My feeling is that there is misinformation going around, too.

Anyway it's a lovely idea, and I'm pleased it will have a double chimney.

Edited by robmcg

9 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Getting hold of one.  Now there's a riddle tied up in a conundrum...    a retailer I use for preference says they got an allowance three on pre-order, just like Hattons and Rails,  and have eight willing buyers at full retail, so it may be a simple draw from a hat, and of course unfortunately there will be some buyers wantig only to re-sell at a profit. Possibly 200 are for non UK retailers.

Actually not a very nice scenario.  My feeling is that there is misinformation going around, too.

Hmm, I have had assurances from the retailer that I have one allocated, and that this will be fulfilled. I will be very upset if I end up missing out.

3 minutes ago, 22C said:

Hmm, I have had assurances from the retailer that I have one allocated, and that this will be fulfilled. I will be very upset if I end up missing out.

I think that if the pre-order was accepted then it would be fulfilled.  My retailer was probably describing the number they had who had asked if a pre-order was likely to be met, without actually confirming a pre-order.

Suddenly my 1949 Atholl is looking good...

6231_Atholl_Dublo_2a_r1500.jpg.24259d605c10f290dcfd6ff08ea95585.jpg

but in some ways not as good as my 2017 version...   pic edited will remove if asked.

6231_duchess_portrait41_2abcde_r1500.jpg.54ffa65d09006e4afb8f0fecd80b2e50.jpg

here is another edited version, which might approximate the 'look' of the metal version. Will remove if asked. Based on an original photo by Trevor McGavin.

6231_Duchess_Atholl_portrait50_double_chimney_4ab_r1500.jpg.2784b77956e60740c25462286bccc04e.jpg

The biggest obvious difference apart from weight and packaging may be the double chimney on the metal version.

Worth noting in the artwork from Hornby is that detail may vary, or something to that effect.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, robmcg said:

but in some ways not as good as my 2017 version...   pic edited will remove if asked.

here is another edited version, which might approximate the 'look' of the metal version. Will remove if asked. Based on an original photo by Trevor McGavin.

6231_Duchess_Atholl_portrait50_double_chimney_4ab_r1500.jpg.2784b77956e60740c25462286bccc04e.jpg

The biggest obvious difference apart from weight and packaging may be the double chimney on the metal version.

Worth noting in the artwork from Hornby is that detail may vary, or something to that effect.

i hope the packaging takes account of that extra weight, I think thats what caused the issues on the 47xx.. nice model and top heavy, maybe the packaging wasnt optimum.

12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i hope the packaging takes account of that extra weight, I think thats what caused the issues on the 47xx.. nice model and top heavy, maybe the packaging wasnt optimum.

Indeed, I have several 47XXs and a couple got quite badly damaged between manufacture and arrival here in NZ, but some were fine.  I think Heljan's assembly was fairly light on glue, apart from the unfortunate nature of impact and/or vibration on the front sub-frame and other body parts and details..

That said, the body of the die-cast Atholl should be bulletproof ?  My 1949 one certainly is. 

just for pleasure..

6231_Duchess_Atholl_Slide12.JPG.55281142f7b2e529a76f5dcad8de36de.jpg.4c123a254a7b0daf07b4f0f7b9f10d91.jpg

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Indeed, I have several 47XXs and a couple got quite badly damaged between manufacture and arrival here in NZ, but some were fine.  I think Heljan's assembly was fairly light on glue, apart from the unfortunate nature of impact and/or vibration on the front sub-frame and other body parts and details..

That said, the body of the die-cast Atholl should be bulletproof ?  My 1949 one certainly is. 

just for pleasure..

6231_Duchess_Atholl_Slide12.JPG.55281142f7b2e529a76f5dcad8de36de.jpg.4c123a254a7b0daf07b4f0f7b9f10d91.jpg

quite, I remeber back around 1979 my dads 6231 fell out of the loft, he just went down, picked it up, climbed back up and set it running again.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

On 16/03/2020 at 08:03, robmcg said:

These are some of your best ever photos, Rob! I’m in awe at your talents....

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I notice they haven't fitted them either (or lost them) in their promotional photo in the today's edition of Engine Shed.

450773735_ScreenShot2020-07-17at21_41_12.png.8f9f55e69667b018832632106582c376.pngCome on people, get a grip!:rolleyes:. Still, it was a cracking read, especially the correspondence about Triang's arranging the viewing of the Evening Star at Brighton. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...