R3819 Duchess Of Atholl

Co-tr-Paul

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Lexington said:

I seem to recall the Tri-ang Rocket pack suffered the same under delivery issues to retailers.  Looks like ordering direct is the only solution.

Looking at eBay, the £500 one sold!

Which makes nonsense of their claims that they were going to improve their working relationship with the retail trade after an almost complete breakdown several years ago. Now it’s back to have your cake and eat it .

If a retailer orders in good faith and that order is accepted,you are demonstrating a lack of good faith and trust and reneging on a trading promise. 

Direct purchase is for those who want the goods at any price.Fine .Most do not want the inevitable increase in price that accompanies it.

What does occur now after a day of shock horror for a number of retailers and disappointed prospective purchasers is that it will be useful to see when the van brings the boxes to the door of our model shops exactly who gets what and how many. Will reasoning apply to the reduction in numbers or will it be a rule of thumb reduction right across the board ? 
Will eBay traders get their quota ?

It appears from the justified protests of Rails customers and from Rails email posted here that their particular order book must have been a sizeable one.I imagine Hattons to be likewise.Maybe a pruning here.of numbers ..apologies for tha analogy. However Widnes Model Centre is a small trader,so that hypothesis doesn’t fit . 

How on earth was this allowed to happen yet again at the same time as a they are being praised for the production of the Tom Moore special ?

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

I don't disagree with you.  It isn't good.

Looking at the success of this model, I can see a range of die cast Dublo replicas.  Duchesses is various colours, followed by die cast A4 locos.  The only positive is that Hornby appear to have hit a winning formula for a high priced, high margin range. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

How on earth was this allowed to happen yet again....

Because Hornby only want to supply retailers with whatever stock they can't sell themselves at full retail price! How can the retail trade possibly survive on Hornby's cast-offs?

Cynical doesn't come close - this is da*ned arrogance and indefensible sharp practice; I haven't bought a Hornby product for several years, and I can't see that changing in the light of this latest incident.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Lexington said:

I don't disagree with you.  It isn't good.

Looking at the success of this model, I can see a range of die cast Dublo replicas.  Duchesses is various colours, followed by die cast A4 locos.  The only positive is that Hornby appear to have hit a winning formula for a high priced, high margin range. 

There already is a diecast A4, made 3 years ago by Dapol.

4EE7BCE5-56B1-427A-BE4C-3C240E8273E2.jpeg

C3BB6C23-C447-46DB-B5AD-B76A1FD2318A.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hornby's picture does look delectable though... droopy cylinder slidebars notwithstanding, and yes it's only a pre-prod photo 

6231_duchess_r3819_1_lms-6231-duchess-of-atholl_product.jpg.c538acb74ccdfc5be2885f2d4556bbc7.jpg

I generally wait for a purchase when there is a shortfall or error or mis-handling of stock numbers and feel genuinely sorry for any who miss out.

Actually I had re-awakened interest in this beautiful model metal or plastic, when looking at photos of my 2017 plastic version model, here is a Hattons photo...

6231_duchess_R3553-LN_3367249_Qty1_1.jpg.3e15d4b5252d10a27b72475f4453ef3f.jpg

Superb model, R3553.  I look forward to seeing any lucky purchasers' metal-version R3819 photos.

Just for interest I edited my R3553 into a 1945 version, it being the only of the first batch of non-streamlined Duchesses to receive this indignity ...  actually I rather like the look of plain black, and it reminds me of the Kitmaster Duchess, which if left without deflectors had this look, to a young lad like I was then... .

(sigh)

Pic edited will remove if asked.

As to why there is a shortfall in supply of R3819 I can only guess. 

Good luck to all those with pre-orders.

I am sure the tradition started with 3-rail EDL2 will continue. Here is another less-edited pic of R3553 which I think is superb.

and my beloved EDL2

6231_Atholl_Dublo_2a_r1500.jpg.96fdb5a888389a516711cde2ffc6b25b.jpg

or the actual model from my youth...   in perhaps more typical condition? photo courtesy Trevor McGavin

6231_duchess_of_atholl.jpg.d156785a79376f49232b25c405caafca.jpg

• Like 4

On 08/08/2020 at 09:17, Derails Models said:

Oh my! Now I'm worried.

Does anyone know if any retailers have actually received the models yet, or has anyone even had one direct from Hornby? 

Hi Dan,

We received our delivery on Friday. I know of at least one other retailer who has heard nothing, no invoice giving any indication of a pending delivery. 

Don’t panic until Monday morning.........

Barry

1 hour ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi Dan,

We received our delivery on Friday. I know of at least one other retailer who has heard nothing, no invoice giving any indication of a pending delivery. 

Don’t panic until Monday morning.........

Barry

Don’t suppose you got a spare one to help a Rails victim out? Lol! Seriously though, did you receive your full allocation?

Apologies just remembered you did say you didn’t! 

Edited by CathcartCircle

13 hours ago, robmcg said:

Hornby's picture does look delectable though... droopy cylinder slidebars notwithstanding, and yes it's only a pre-prod photo 

6231_duchess_r3819_1_lms-6231-duchess-of-atholl_product.jpg.c538acb74ccdfc5be2885f2d4556bbc7.jpg

Probably not going to like this, but is that cab leaning backwards a little?

Al.

• Agree 3

26 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Probably not going to like this, but is that cab leaning backwards a little?

Al.

I’m not suggesting Hornby have done this intentionally, but the appearance of the cab is very similar to that of 46220 Coronation in the photograph at the link below. Perhaps a reason not to mind if the production run of Duchess of Atholl has the same “drooping” cab appearance!

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p645258869/hc3e9ab62

Edited by 22C

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, 22C said:

I’m not suggesting Hornby have done this intentionally, but the appearance of the cab is very similar to that of 46220 Coronation in the photograph at the link below. Perhaps a reason not to mind if the production run of Duchess of Atholl has the same “drooping” cab appearance!

To that extent,if I were to be billed for c £250 for that ,I would mind a great deal. Just how have they managed to cobble that one together ?

Let’s be charitable and call it a pre production sample ......we wish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 22C said:

I think what you are seeing in that picture is distortion due to the camera lense; the cab is very close to the edge of the frame.

It is clear that the cab on the model is not seated properly on the end of the boiler

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

If you look closely, you can see it hasn’t been seated properly. 

8A9062BD-8EB6-47FD-9AB7-B3A8AE9B12F0.jpeg

This can be seen, but how could it have been permitted to be used for publicity shots?

I certainly wouldn't want to see this, even if it were an 'engineering prototype'.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

We are asked when viewing The Engine Shed to take into account that these images may not be a true representation of the final product out of the box.However,given the current delivery difficulties of this unique model ,this is hardly a reassuring presentation for a prospective buyer.

But really there is scant threat to Hornby’s reputation with regard to the quality of the model because it’s so scarce that its presence is ephemeral to the extent that only an infinitesimal number of us will be in any position   to post ...or even image.....any critique. In “the blink of an eye” it will be gone no longer a blot on the landscape of our imagination.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

If you look closely, you can see it hasn’t been seated properly. 

8A9062BD-8EB6-47FD-9AB7-B3A8AE9B12F0.jpeg

Mr Cholmondley-Warner assures us it's straight at 37.33min...

Edited by maico

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 16:59, Lexington said:

On the basis of already owning four Hornby steam models with largely die cast body shells, (B12/3, D16/3, J15, J36) this has already moved well beyond limited editions of previous Dublo products. There's been no price increment for this desireable feature, appearance compared to plastic mouldings is not compromised, and the benefit for traction is clear; the small B12/3 4-6-0 beats any plastic bodied 4-6-0 I have sampled for pulling a realistic load, and the other three are all good in this respect too.

It will be a little sad if Hornby twig that they can ask more for this 'winning formula', but given their commercial position I am a little surprised that they haven't already been promoting this as a premium product.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having had an email on Friday from Rails explaining that although I'd ordered my model (R3819) sometime ago, they were now unable to fulfil my order due to their allocation being cut, which was unfortunate as I'd been looking forward to this for sometime. I subsequently went about contacting many official Hornby stockists, most of which are sold out, as you'd expect. However I did manage to source several (one for me and one for my father). I have since this success been offered several more models, both from Hornby official stockists. 

It is worth checking with stockists if you want one of these models......there's one or two still available. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It will be interesting to know what happened here.  Whilst there is no doubt Hornby would make a bigger margin by selling more directly I struggle to see why they would bother.  In company terms, the amount of extra margin on a few extra models sold directly is peanuts and not worth the potential negative optics.

Hopefully, this will simply come down to more Hornby dealers requesting stock and so to be fair Hornby spread the 500 around a wee bit more.

My heart does go out to those let down though.

Kind regards

Paddy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

All of which should have been properly thought through months ago when the order books were opened.

Why the sudden change of strategy ? If nothing else this is ....yet again....a 
PR disaster .Are they really that disadvantaged by cash flow that the model is available to buy on their website at full rrp the same day that they are informing retailers their allocation is cut without notice ? Do also bear in mind that some shops may already have asked their disappointed customers for a deposit 

How many smaller dealers will be able to afford stock of a £250 model in numbers to make commercial sense across the board I wonder.

Still,we wait to see.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

On the basis of already owning four Hornby steam models with largely die cast body shells, (B12/3, D16/3, J15, J36) this has already moved well beyond limited editions of previous Dublo products. There's been no price increment for this desireable feature, appearance compared to plastic mouldings is not compromised, and the benefit for traction is clear; the small B12/3 4-6-0 beats any plastic bodied 4-6-0 I have sampled for pulling a realistic load, and the other three are all good in this respect too.

It will be a little sad if Hornby twig that they can ask more for this 'winning formula', but given their commercial position I am a little surprised that they haven't already been promoting this as a premium product.

Indeed, and the Adams,Drummond 700, and Schools Class also have metal boilers. Hornby should take a look at the Trix website. Different symbols tell you if the body is all metal, metal boiler with plastic cab, or all plastic. Most tenders are die-cast metal. This system includes coaches, most are plastic, but I have a nice set that are all metal.

Edited by maico
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, maico said:

Indeed, and the Adams,Drummond 700, and Schools Class also have metal boilers. Hornby should take a look at the Trix website. Different symbols tell you if the body is all metal, metal boiler with plastic cab, or all plastic. Most tenders are die-cast metal. This system includes coaches, most are plastic, but I have a nice set that are all metal.

So that's at least 7 regular steam loco releases from Hornby with largely diecast bodies (typically footplate, boiler, smokebox; cab in plastic) any further specimens in their range?

Why this is not promoted does appear to be lost opportunity to me. Or do some see this construction as undesireable?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

So that's at least 7 regular steam loco releases from Hornby with largely diecast bodies (typically footplate, boiler, smokebox; cab in plastic) any further specimens in their range?

Why this is not promoted does appear to be lost opportunity to me. Or do some see this construction as undesireable?

Just the word diecast probably has connotations of "toy" and "old fashioned" to many people. It certainly does to me.

It brings up images of 1930s Dinky Toys rather than 21st century scale models.

I can understand why they are using it in this instance, but it would definitely put me off if normal models were advertised as such.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Having had an email on Friday from Rails explaining that although I'd ordered my model (R3819) sometime ago, they were now unable to fulfil my order due to their allocation being cut, which was unfortunate as I'd been looking forward to this for sometime. I subsequently went about contacting many official Hornby stockists, most of which are sold out, as you'd expect. However I did manage to source several (one for me and one for my father). I have since this success been offered several more models, both from Hornby official stockists. 

It is worth checking with stockists if you want one of these models......there's one or two still available. 

ive been looking around and not been able to find anything so very lucky! 

• Friendly/supportive 2