Fitting tts sound to a Hornby Railroad Tornado

Stormbringer

Hi all,

I've been looking at fitting tts sound to my Railroad Tornado (ex Tornado Express set). Having taken the body off it looks like the decoder and a small speaker such as a sugarcube will both fit in the smokebox. Has anyone tried this and if so how well does it work?

TIA

Pete

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

Hi all,

I've been looking at fitting tts sound to my Railroad Tornado (ex Tornado Express set). Having taken the body off it looks like the decoder and a small speaker such as a sugarcube will both fit in the smokebox. Has anyone tried this and if so how well does it work?

TIA

Pete

You could consider "upgrading" the loco to proper TTS spec buy fitting everything in the tender as on Hornby Sevice sheet 407:

hss_407_class_p2_tts_service_sheet-1.pdf

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I just did a flying Scotsman which will be similar inside and used an iPhone speaker which was nice and flat, I put the decoder on top of the speaker under the chimney. I had to mill away some of the weight to make a bit more space.

Richard, unfortunately the iPhone speaker doesn't fit on the smokebox, that was one of the things I looked at. I'm 99% certain a sugarcube will go as will one of your slim sugarcubes.

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

You could consider "upgrading" the loco to proper TTS spec buy fitting everything in the tender as on Hornby Sevice sheet 407:

Keith,  I looked at that option as well but as the socket is at the front of the loco I decided to go with the smokebox option.

Peter

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Keith,  I looked at that option as well but as the socket is at the front of the loco I decided to go with the smokebox option.

Peter

Fair enough.

I was just making you aware in case you hadn't seen it.

• Informative/Useful 1