Capenhurst Station

Siphon208

Morning all!

just wondered whether any of our local experts could help with this? I’ve been looking at the buildings that were on this station, such a shame that it had all gone by the 80’s- I had asked a contributor to a website about a branch that ran in to BNFL (as was). My late father had mentioned sidings, but I’d never seen them and a signal box. Apparently the signal box and sidings went in ‘69? Can anyone shed some light on this, please??

• RMweb Premium

don't know anything about the station & buildings, but there's a 1961 1:2500 OS at old-maps.co.uk

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/337033/374352/12/100954

**Ignore the 'subscribe' screen message, click zoom out (-) 3 times until the OS map shows. To remove the blue layer, switch the 'print extent' off - under 'contact us' at the RH top corner, it's the 1st blue box, with a white square in it**

just north of the station, there are 5 loops on the west side of the line and from this, one track going into the 'works'.

The signal box is marked as being on the opposite side of the main line from the loops.

(Hope I've got the correct location)

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

There were two signal boxes at Capenhurst, not concurrent. The first box was on the Hooton end of the Chester platform and was replaced in 1943 with a LMS ARP box nearer to Hooton when the sidings were extended for the works. This box was abolished in October 1969 and the remaining connections removed (most had gone anyway)

There was no branch as such into the works, just sidings accessed by a loop which ran alongside the Hooton bound line, a facing connection allowed straight in running..

When I worked at BNFL from 1979 - 1987 there were traces of the sidings outside the A3 stores area which was a building on the Hooton side of the station, a few lines over, with a loading bank for the railway (which was out of use when I knew it).

The normal station sidings were on the Hooton side of the station but behind the box, i.e. the opposite side of the running lines to the works.

I photographed the buildings the evening before they were demolished, the only remaining ones were on the Chester bound platform.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...