GWR Toad Road Vans

Jim Scott

Hello all,

Can anyone shed any light on the Diagram AA3 Toad Road Van from Lot 327, running number 17600, which, according to an entry in the website GWR Goods Brake Vans - GWR Modelling (www.gwr.org.uk › nobrakes) was used on the "Pontycyllio Branch, with side doors, screw couplings and vac brake."  Googlr searches have thrown up no pictures or other information, and even the location on Google Maps has drawn a blank.  Any help would be much appreciated, to complete a small modelling project.  Thanks, in anticipation of tapping a profound well of detailed knowledge! 

JimS

On 11/01/2020 at 12:26, Miss Prism said:

Thank you, Miss Prism, I should have realised you would have the answer as I have read the GWR Goods Brake Vans - GWR Modelling (www.gwr.org.uk › nobrakes), and you appear (from another thread) to be the author!  Information from other contributors in the post you have quoted fill out the picture to my satisfaction.

On 11/01/2020 at 12:30, The Stationmaster said:

The location sounds like a misspelling of Pontyscyllte.  I can't find a Pontyscyllio in Tony Cooke's GWR Atlas and Gazeetter but the Pontyscyllte Branch very definitely existed under that name (near Ruabon)

And thanks, too, to The Stationmaster for clarifying where this vehicle ran.

I can now get on happily butchering a Toad's body to make a representation of 17600.  Interesting that it ran on the Golden Valley line, as my (fictitious) branch is inspired by the GVR and the New Radnor branch.

Edited by Jim Scott