Useful Chassis for British H0 Loco and Railcar Projects

Would it be possible to reupload the table in the OP?

I've been investigating some Frateschi locos and they have a couple of promising chassis.

I just need to confirm that the models match the prototypes.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, matt9f said:

Would it be possible to reupload the table in the OP?

I've been investigating some Frateschi locos and they have a couple of promising chassis.

I just need to confirm that the models match the prototypes.

Yes of course - I've put the tables back.

They have now dropped out twice - first when the site re-appeared following its outage during March, and then somewhen between 3 April and today while the rebuild of the site continued. If they disappear again do give me a shout. It might be prudent to save a local copy.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

They reviewed a couple of Frateschi locos in Continental Modeller a few years ago. These were 'H0' models of EMD metre gauge export models but the size had been increased to match US standard gauge stock although this may have applied mainly to the height and width.

• RMweb Premium

As an update on the DB V90, I acquired a cheap (£30) older Roco example at Ally Pally last month, one bogie of which is now powering my H0 Derby Type 2 (Lincoln Locos shell, bogie sideframes and tanks). 

The V90 bogie is 29.88mm wheelbase, just 0.13mm out from the 29.75mm required for 8'6" in H0. 

The Roco chassis is cast metal (mazak) so I made a new chassis from 80 thou plasticard and replicated the bogie cut out and pivot (using a small screw) 

While I could have used both bogies, I would then have needed to extend the spring drive couplings, but as tge loco will only be hauling small trains, I used just one bogie. My spares box yielded a motor from a Bachmann 08 amd a Branchlines 2mm id drive shaft, which matched the motor and the Roco worm shaft. (the 2nd bogie and original motor will be used in another loco in due course) 

As the Roco wheelsets were quite 'chunky' in the flange, I replaced the wheels with finer 12mm plain discs - helped in this regard by Roco using a 2mm diameter axle. 

IMG_20220405_100934.jpg

IMG_20220405_100905_1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/04/2022 at 04:58, HSB said:

They reviewed a couple of Frateschi locos in Continental Modeller a few years ago. These were 'H0' models of EMD metre gauge export models but the size had been increased to match US standard gauge stock although this may have applied mainly to the height and width.

Howard, you are quite right. I finally went and measured what was in stock at a local model shop. While some of the "length" dimensions could be useful, the widths of the chassis were ~30-32mm. Too wide without significant modification? Also there were no examples of Bo-Bo to measure. 

• Informative/Useful 2

Thanks to Alans' post I went and perused the Lincoln Loco offerings.

The German DB Class V60 is well represented across European manufacturers.

I believe this would be suitable for a BR Class 14 'Teddy Bear'.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, matt9f said:

Howard, you are quite right. I finally went and measured what was in stock at a local model shop. While some of the "length" dimensions could be useful, the widths of the chassis were ~30-32mm. Too wide without significant modification? Also there were no examples of Bo-Bo to measure. 

30 mm (8 ft 7 in) is good for British outline models with thin plastic- or brass-walled bodies.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/05/2022 at 02:18, matt9f said:

Thanks to Alans' post I went and perused the Lincoln Loco offerings.

The German DB Class V60 is well represented across European manufacturers.

I believe this would be suitable for a BR Class 14 'Teddy Bear'.

I measured the wheels and wheelbase of a Roco V60 a while ago and decided this was good for a Teddy Bear. I still haven't worked out whether the motor will fit inside a body shell, so I left the model off the list.

A Teddy Bear would be a useful model :-)

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 47137 said:

I measured the wheels and wheelbase of a Roco V60 a while ago and decided this was good for a Teddy Bear. I still haven't worked out whether the motor will fit inside a body shell, so I left the model off the list.

A Teddy Bear would be an model useful model :-)

- Richard.

I have just measured my V60 with a similar idea.  The motor on the V60 fills the cab, and the cab on the Class 14 is a bit smaller than the V60 cab, so it will be a bit of a tight squeeze to get the Roco mechanism into an H0 Teddy Bear.  Not to say it can't be done, but it will probably need a bit of judicious filing of both body and motor casing to get it to fit.

• Thanks 2

I have a feeling the universe is encouraging me to continue this UK H0 line of inquiry.

A Frateschi U5B chassis popped up locally this week. The smallest of the Frateschi diesel chassis I believe.

Here in NZ this is available locally as an unpainted NZR 'DH' class.

Bogie wheelbase = 31/31.5mm = ~8ft 10in (close enough to 8'6"?)

Bogie centers = 85mm = 24ft 3.5in

Pivot centers = 81mm = 23ft 1.75in

Width (along chassis) = 24mm

Width (at centre) = 34mm

Wheel diameter = 12mm *added 27/05/22

Save for a couple of piddly weights, the chassis is entirely plastic, so it can be cut and shut/extended as required.

This chassis could suit a few of the smaller prototypes.

Both bogies are driven from a single motor and both have electrical pick up.

I would like a Class 22 to build a WR Hydraulic fleet, but I am unsure about the lack of genuine recorded sound available for decoders..

Edited by matt9f
Information added
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2022 at 08:22, matt9f said:

56xx with the J72 chassis if a trailing axle is added?

I don't know the dimensions of the 56xx, but if a 4mm J72 chassis has the wanted dimensions I would look at the kit by Comet Models, available from Wizard Models:

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/lcp33/

This might give you better value for money over buying a Bachmann J72 for only its chassis.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another option for Bo diesels with 8ft6in bogie wheelbase is the NS2200 in H0 from Roco or Piko.

This has a 29.5mm bogie wheelbase (just 0.25mm short for 8ft6in) at 76.3mm centres (21ft10in ish) which is close for the 15, 16, 20 and 22. The NS 2200 is a end-cab bonnetted design, much like the 20

The Roco one is OOP, but fairly widely available second-hand whilst the Piko one is a much newer release and in current production.

Piko do sell the complete bogie for their 2200 as a spare, EUR22.25 each plus shipping. https://www.piko-shop.de/en/artikel/ersatzteil/xref_suchtext-55902.html

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...
On 10/06/2022 at 07:13, 47137 said:

I don't know the dimensions of the 56xx, but if a 4mm J72 chassis has the wanted dimensions I would look at the kit by Comet Models, available from Wizard Models:

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/lcp33/

This might give you better value for money over buying a Bachmann J72 for only its chassis.

- Richard.

Super belated response, sorry Richard.
I had more 'complete mechanism' in mind when I wrote chassis. Also, using an old J72 or possibly a new one by way of the Bachmann Spares website to save cost

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone tried the H0 motor kits available from ARU Model in Japan? 

https://www.plazajapan.com/2010010000158/

A couple of their wheelbases might be usable (28.5mm and 31mm, a tad either side of a scale 8ft6in) and with 10.5mm (3ft) and 11.5mm (3ft3in-ish) wheels

Ok, you have shipping (and likely duty/handling/etc) on top, but they do seem extremely good value at £17-odd a pop. 

Through a friend, I have 1 (possibly 2) on order via Plaza Japan and will report back in due course. 

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 12/09/2023 at 04:38, CloggyDog said:

Has anyone tried the H0 motor kits available from ARU Model in Japan? 

https://www.plazajapan.com/2010010000158/

A couple of their wheelbases might be usable (28.5mm and 31mm, a tad either side of a scale 8ft6in) and with 10.5mm (3ft) and 11.5mm (3ft3in-ish)

Ok, you have shipping (and likely duty/handling/etc) on top, but they do seem extremely good value at £17-odd a pop. 

Through a friend, I have 1 (possibly 2) on order via Plaza Japan and will report back in due course. 

I have a few of the assembled (more expensive) smaller units here but am yet to give them a run. At least the one's I have, appear to be 9V motors. Something to keep in mind.
I'm intending to design and print a couple of R&H diesels and L&Y class 21 pug bodies for them. The pug is underway.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/08/2023 at 16:42, matt9f said:

Never mind the 56xx. The 94xx would sit on a J72 mech nicely. Just a slight discrepancy with the centre axle placement

Some further info on this, should someone out there be considering this:

Old J72:

• 97xx
  • 56xx

New J72:

• 97xx
  • 56xx
  • 94xx
  • 57xx and sub classes

The old split chassis has a hulk of mass over the centre wheel, which precludes any side tanks that are not full depth down to the running? plate. It could be milled back but that's a whole lot of effort..

PS If anyone is wondering about the time between posts on this subject, I have not spent an entire year contemplating it! I just happening to circle back around. As we do with these niche scales.

• Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

Thanks, Matt, that's a very useful update! I'll have to explore the new J72.

You are very welcome Ian. I too will be looking at exploring the new J72, should a reasonably priced specimen come available somewhere. I'd only need one chassis to design the different bodies. I feel that I've spread myself too thin with 3D print projects at the moment though. Look forward to what you can turn up.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, matt9f said:

Can anyone confirm the wheelbase and wheel diameter of the Oxford Rail/Golden Valley Hobbies YEC Janus?
From a photo estimation, it would be suitable for a Terrier A1/A1X

Wheelbase is 44mm (22mm + 22mm) & wheel diameter is about 14mm

• Thanks 1