Your thoughts on fitting TTS to a Hornby A4

jivebunny

HI all,

I bit the bullet and went down to visit my local model railway club last night. Got to play with DCC for the first time (yes, I know it's 2020...) and it would seem I have somehow accidentally become hooked. I'm therefore looking at adding a chip to a few of my own locos so I can use them on the club layouts, and having seen a lovely SNCF pacific equipped with sound I'm quite tempted to try out a sound decoder on my first candidate. I don't want to shell out £100+ to convert a locomotive that I'll only use occasionally, so naturally I'm steering towards a TTS decoder for my R2339 Super Detail "Mallard" (the model's DCC-ready).

What are your thoughts on these decoders for the A4? Reading up on the forum I see quite a few issues with reliability and compatibility, have these generally been resolved? Any particular restrictions I should be aware of in terms of CVs and running these chips on DC layouts? (I'm aware the sound functions for these don't work on DC)

Thanks in advance !

And here's a photo of 4468 at a small terminus in the French countryside :D

Cheers,

JB

IMG_20200110_223945658.jpg

Edited by jivebunny
Corrected Hornby reference

Ref reliability of TTS chips - all 10 that I have fitted worked fine. Take your time and follow the guidance. Insulate them as described in the manual and make sure they have room around them to dissipate any heat. Richard's (Roads and Rails) speakers do wonders for the sound compared to the standard Hornby ones supplied so if you decide to take the plunge get yourself a nice speaker too. Good luck.

• Like 1

Some nice installations there, thanks for all the replies! Looks like there's quite a difference between TTS and more advanced sound solutions so I may go down the motor-only route to start with and save digital sound for a rainy day!

Cheers,

JB