An H0 NBL Type 2 (Class 29)

CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

I know NBL Type 2s never worked the Far North lines, but I fancied an alternative to the BRWC 2 I have part-started (and I might look at a Derby 2 in due course) for the H0 micro Dounreay I'm working on.

So, a long, long time ago, Jouef produced a small range of British H0 models, under the Playcraft brand, including a NBL type 2.

The plastic body has good bits and bad bits - the grilles are decent, the basic shape is pretty much there, but it is 4mm over width and the buffers are simple oval protrusions. Also of note is the different radiator grilles on each side!

The chassis is crude, so I'll be replacing the mechanism with something better (possibly of US loco origin) with resin cast side frames (once I've scratchbuilt a pair of masters)

Tackling the width requires a fairly complex set of cuts to preserve the roof grille and walkways. One end in the photo has been slimmed, the left hand one. I'll be fitting headcode boxes and details in due course.

I do need to source a second shell to provide the required later rad grille and the extra side grilles the 29s had.

IMG_20200111_180926.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes it is  difficult to write things on forums, as opposed to face to a face meeting, at least without seeming blunt - if you can re-work the ends and you are happy with them, the project will succeed and everything else will fall into place.

One of the Life-Like Proto 2000 diesels has bogies with 30 mm centres, very close to scale of the 8' 6" of the prototype. I have one of these chassis but I've forgotten what it is from! The prototype had spoked wheels but you could use disc wheels to begin with and change them later if you feel this is really necessary.

I have been reading up about "blue stuff instant plastic clay", this might help  with the bogie side frames. Indeed, if you can make a pair of moulds, you may find a short queue of modellers keen to buy a set of four castings :-)

I wish you all the best with this project, like John I too have looked at these models at swapmeets and so on and bottled out - but really, the body mouldings are largely very usable and I do hope it works out nicely.

- Richard.

• Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, 47137 said:

One of the Life-Like Proto 2000 diesels has bogies with 30 mm centres, very close to scale of the 8' 6" of the prototype. I have one of these chassis but I've forgotten what it is from! The prototype had spoked wheels but you could use disc wheels to begin with and change them later if you feel this is really necessary.

Pretty certain that it’s the FA/FB that fits - I’ll check my Model Railroader Cyclopedia.

• Thanks 1

The usual wheelbase of the trucks (bogies) used on US  Bo-Bo diesels is 9' for mainline locos and 8' for switchers which unfortunately doesn't quite match any British loco. Some Continental H0 locos might work out closer.

One difficulty with continentalbogie locos is that often the chassis is too wide/high for British locos. Actual bogie length is less of a concern to me as long as it is close enough. Being the bogie it is not as visible as body width .

For bogies I would recommend contacting Mark at Locos n Stuff and he should be able to sort out a bespoke 3D printed motor bogie.

• RMweb Premium
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 21:34, 47137 said:

Sometimes it is  difficult to write things on forums, as opposed to face to a face meeting, at least without seeming blunt - if you can re-work the ends and you are happy with them, the project will succeed and everything else will fall into place.

I have been reading up about "blue stuff instant plastic clay", this might help  with the bogie side frames. Indeed, if you can make a pair of moulds, you may find a short queue of modellers keen to buy a set of four castings :-)

- Richard.

Thanks for the kind words everyone - the 29 body is more-or-less back together and the shape of the noses and cab windows is being fettled, then the nose detailing can begin.

I've already done some resin casting - H0 BR1 sideframes from cut n shut Playcraft bogies to get an 8'6" wheelbase. No inners yet though (though I have a man possibly working on some etched ones for me). A couple of sets have already gone to H0 modellers via the 1:87 Society's egroup, happy to supply others, just pm me. Nominal cost to cover postage and the small amount of resin used. I think there might be pics on my thread on Lima H0 Mk1s, will link later.

So I'll likely scratchbuilt a pair of 21/29 sideframes and cast them up in similar fashion.

I thought the P2K FA was the closest match, although the casting will want some hacking to fit... might see what I have in the way of US mechs in hand, as the old Athearn Eff-Unit might also be worth a look.

While waiting for the NBL to set, I also started hacking a Lima H0 33 to reduce it's width and convert to a 26 (at least the cabs will be... while I'm tempted to do the cantrail grilles also, that's a whole bunch more work... we shall see.

Cab 1 is more-or-less done, will see if I make a better job of cab 2 and then decide which to use as a master for more resin casting. Of course... if I do decide to do the cantrails, I might as well cast the whole shell

Pics of the 26 and 29 to follow later, off to a meeting now!

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, crackedmember said:

With regards to the differing grills, the surprising thing is this is correct.  I believe IIRC that at least d6100 entered service like this.

I'd be very interested to see evidence to support that.

NBL_6100.jpg

D6106+D6101 Hornsea shed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_21_(NBL)#/media/File:Harringay_West_geograph-2392160-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

https://railphotoprints.uk/p321309302/ea4df4993

My only issue with that is represented by the linked photos showing the original grilles on a couple of locos, but on different sides. All 3 photos have the no 1 end leading, but showing the original grille on the right side of D6100, the left side of D6101 and D6103

And this shot of D6106 with no 2 end leading has the original grille also on the left side (if you looked from the no 1 end)

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/1/Pre-TOPS-Locomotives/Type-2/North-British-Type-2-dieselele/i-rN4d4b5 

So, was D6100 different, as surely if the first 10 were delivered with different grilles, would they not all be one type on one side and the other on the other side? The Big Boy's Book Of NBL Type 2 DEs is at home, so will double-check later.

It is clear that the original grilles lasted a matter of months before the new grille(s) were fitted and the production batch D6110 onwards had the later grilles as standard.

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

Dapol are doing a 4mm scale model - the local model shop have one in stock. So you could wait for the reviews of this model; the RTR buyers can be a bit fastidious and I'm sure any error in the grills will get picked up. Then either copy the Dapol model, or do what everyone says the Dapol model should have been :)

- Richard.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 47137 said:

Dapol are doing a 4mm scale model - the local model shop have one in stock. So you could wait for the reviews of this model; the RTR buyers can be a bit fastidious and I'm sure any error in the grills will get picked up. Then either copy the Dapol model, or do what everyone says the Dapol model should have been :)

- Richard.

All the Dapol locos so far are from the second batch (6110 up) so had the revised grills from new. I don't think they have shown any intention of producing original condition pilot scheme locos yet.

• RMweb Premium
On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 18:16, crackedmember said:

With regards to the differing grills, the surprising thing is this is correct.  I believe IIRC that at least d6100 entered service like this.

Checked my loaned copy of the BBBoNBL2DEs last night - there are photos of both sides of D6100 ex-works showing the early 2-piece grille on both sides.

Not that it's relevant to me, I'm doing a Class 29 which all had the later grilles (plus the additionals).