Class 158 Super Sprinters

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

I think I've seen the answer to this somewhere else on here, but can't find it.

Is the class 158 bodyshell related to, or derived from, the Mk4 carriage design?

Also, am I right in thinking that the body profile on 158's was designed to allow tilting equipment to be fitted at some point in future? (I know Mk4's were).

Cheers N

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, rodent279 said:

I think I've seen the answer to this somewhere else on here, but can't find it.

Is the class 158 bodyshell related to, or derived from, the Mk4 carriage design?

Also, am I right in thinking that the body profile on 158's was designed to allow tilting equipment to be fitted at some point in future? (I know Mk4's were).

Cheers N

No in a word, the connection between the mk4 and the 158 is that if BREL had been given the contract for the mk4s they would have had similar bogies to the 158.

The mk3 DVT has similar bogies 

• Thanks 1

The 158 was built in a different material (aluminium) from the Mk4 (steel) and designed and built by a different supplier (BREL vs Metro Cammell).  You may be thinking of the 156, also built by MetCamm and having a similar bodyshell to the Mk4 but not to a profile suited to tilting.  I think also MetCamm were considering buying in the T4 bogie from BREL for the Mk4 but ultimately went for the SIG bogie.  The 158 bodyshell had no provision for tilting.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all. I thought the answer was no, but I wasn't aware of the bogie connection. They (158's) do look as if they have a profile to accommodate a limited degree of tilt. I guess incorporating tilt into a bodyshell already packed with engines and transmissions would have been too much!

When the 170s first appeared Roger Ford in Modern Railways did an article on how they were narrower than 158s and mused about whether they had been designed for tilt.  However I think he concluded the real reason what that they wanted to have a train that could go anywhere a 158 could go so made them that bit smaller to be sure they would be within gauge.  Presumably following that logic, within a few generations trains would become so small that they disappeared entirely...