Lima diesel replacement wheels

RobMG

Very recently I spotted a post from Peters Spares re the production of replacement traction tyre free wheels for certain Lima diesel locos .  This had been posted early last year.

So being interested I read further.  I do understand that the lack of traction tyres will cause problems for those wishing to haul long trains, and I don't know what the answer is, but for me with a small branch line layout, they would be ok.  

I am part way through modifying a couple of locos, one being a class 33, and was struggling to decide the best way to replace the wheels.  I thought yes this would be the answer, but alas they still are not available !   So I have decided to use Alan Gibson coach wheels.  

I will make sleeves to increase the axle size to 2.5mm  and use the Lima gears which I have found can be pressed out of the original wheels, and re used .

I know people say, why not just buy a Heljan or SWL loco, yes a sound enough idea, but for a couple of reasons..... The cost, and also , and very important to me, the satisfaction of the challenge.  For me the Lima body mouldings are very good, and with other mods , handrails , windows etc, can be made  to look very good.

So there we are, I now have the wheels etc, and can go ahead with the work.

Of course I must add that do have a lathe and the ability to use it, so it makes life a little easier for me.

When however Peters Spares make their wheels available, I will definitely use them.

Rob

• Like 1

Just wading my way through the comments, but can't find any on this subject.

Have people gone past bothering with modifying Lima stuff these days.

Anyway never mind, I am working on the motor bogey today . Fitting new wheels, and a CD motor.

I would love to post some photos.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Comes down to cost.

I NEED at least 2 more 47s (only have 3)

Heljan - expensive

Bachmann - expensive

Hornby - cheap but not that common

Lima - cheap and common

So for any more a few Lima will do, all they have to do is run along pulling trains.

• Like 1

I think people still do use and modify Lima stuff, not least because their body mouldings were so good. Ironically the newer top range Hornby 31 for megabucks is by common consent a less accurate moulding than the old one by Lima, just to give one example.

I've just finished detailing up three Lima 73's, retaining the mechanisms after a service, and adding extra pickups. Using the detailing packs for the front pipework bought as a spare from Dapol (from their model), I'm very pleased with the outcome. Moreover whatever the shortcoming of the mechanisms my three are excellent hauliers of decent size trains on a layout with gradients.

John.

• Like 1

The problem with Lima motor bogies apart from the ringfield motor , which can be either smooth and relatively quiet or very noisy, is the fact the axles are 2.5mm dia. So in order to fit different wheels which 2mm axles, we need either to make new shouldered ones , or sleeve the new ones to fit.

This is the method I chose.  I looked on ebay and found some 2.5mm od x 2mm id brass tube which does the job admirably.  then we have the Lima gears to deal with.

Contrary to some peoples belief that these are moulded as part of the wheel, they can in fact be removed, but you need some sort of press, because they do not separate easily. I used my lathe,but a drill press could be used with adaptors/spacers  .

Once the gear is removed you can cut off the bit that goes into the wheel, and run a 2.5mm drill through the gear wheel so it will fit onto the brass sleeve. I haven't got as far as fixing the gears to the new wheels, but have assembled it all loosely, and tested for running. It all works really well.

More soon when finished.

When the promised replacement wheelsets from Peters Spares appear, all will be much easier........

Rob

• Informative/Useful 3

On 17/01/2020 at 13:58, cravensdmufan said:

I'd be interested in re-wheeling Lima 156's to run without traction tyres, so no great traction required.

If anyone has modified these units I'd be grateful for advice, thanks. 

In the past I used spare Lima 156 wheels/axles to replace the traction tyred ones.

Remove the traction tyre wheel from the axle with a puller or pin drift. Cut the drive gear off flush with the rear of the wheel.

Using a spare trailing axle wheel, use an axle to line up the gear cog on the new wheel back and secure with a couple of spots of epoxy adhesive. Once dry drill 1mm hole from wheel outer face through the gear, and super glue a small length of brass rod to pin the wheel to the gear cut off any excess flush with rear of gear cog.

To help traction add stick on car wheel lead balance weights on top of the glazing part at the motor end.

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

In the past I used spare Lima 156 wheels/axles to replace the traction tyred ones.

Remove the traction tyre wheel from the axle with a puller or pin drift. Cut the drive gear off flush with the rear of the wheel.

Using a spare trailing axle wheel, use an axle to line up the gear cog on the new wheel back and secure with a couple of spots of epoxy adhesive. Once dry drill 1mm hole from wheel outer face through the gear, and super glue a small length of brass rod to pin the wheel to the gear cut off any excess flush with rear of gear cog.

To help traction add stick on car wheel lead balance weights on top of the glazing part at the motor end.

HTH

Thanks very much Tractor,  I'll give that a try.  I have some old Lima Class 50 wheelsets somewhere in the spares box which I'm hoping will be the same size as the Class 156.  Great tip about the lead wheel weights too.