Hull and Barnsley Wagons

Biged4412

Hi Everyone

Im currently in a research project of pull together as much information on the Hull and Barnsley Railway as possible which will culminate in the building of a layout  in N gauge (Once my OO gauge has been sold off).

I currently have a wealth of information on the locomotives, coaching stock and buildings. I am currently in the process of trying to track down information on the many types of wagons which the owned. I have the NER book which has some information and gives me the types they owned and i have been looking and slowly getting pictures  and drawings off the HMRS website.

I have noticed that there is the LNER wagons volume 2 has some information on the H&BR but this is an expensive book and wondered if it was worth the cost?

And if anybody knows of any other sources where images or drawings can be obtained from 

Thank you in advance any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ed

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Biged4412 said:

I have noticed that there is the LNER wagons volume 2 has some information on the H&BR but this is an expensive book and wondered if it was worth the cost?

Definitely. I'd say that's the authoritative text with plenty of photos of wagons in H&B condition.

What date are you aiming for? And what location? One of my fantasy layouts would feature somewhere were one could seee the Midland, L&Y, H&B, and perhaps North Eastern all together. The H&B ran regular market and theatre excursions to Leeds Wellington via the L&Y, as well as the Sheffield passenger services.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Biged4412 said:

Hi

Thank you for that ill have a look and im looking for somewhere between 1918 and 1920 before absorption. Its only around 6/8ft so im thinking maybe a small section of the H&BR to allow all a mixture of trains. 

By that time, wagon pooling was in force so you would see plenty of other companies' wagons too, especially opens.

What exactly do you want to know? Myself and a couple of mates have made the study of the railway our life's work. Just ask, we are only too pleased to help. Do you have Nick Deackon's tome? Recently published by Lightmoor, Twenty five quid, approx 250 fully illustrated pages, maps, photo's station layouts etc plus of course plenty of text, second volume later this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Tatlow H&BR volume is also covering NER in the same book , a excellent book ,as are the other LNER Volumes.

Unless you are scratchbuilding there are hardly any wagon kits available, Wizard Models do/did a couple of vans and D&S did one wagon a long time ago and is very rare. London Road Models do a Horsebox , not aware of any Coaches at all current. A.F. Hammond did some suburban versions years ago.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, micklner said:

Unless you are scratchbuilding there are hardly any wagon kits available, Wizard Models do/did a couple of vans and D&S did one wagon a long time ago and is very rare. London Road Models do a Horsebox , not aware of any Coaches at all current. A.F. Hammond did some suburban versions years ago.

@Biged4412 stated they're planing to build a layout in N. As they'll be scratchbuilding pretty much everything, I'd have thought they might as well do it in 2 mm finescale. In 4 mm scale it's not quite that bad, as you say:

2110809683_HBWRJRDCoD13No.463lettered.JPG.ed9c0a215b67afc7764b455f7f8d0440.JPG

Still needs a roof!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6

I recently got thr book for christmas and i am halfway through it and it is an excellent book

Im looking into the meat and fish wagons, timber wagons, ballast wagons and the ballast brake van and the other speaclist i have a few examples of some of the box vans and open trucks. 

Im in the process of looking between N gauge and 2mm it depends on driving wheels for locomotives etc on availability. Im just in the process of planning and putting drawings together to be cut on my CNC

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Biged4412 said:

Im also trying to trace if thry had an lowmacs or wgaons of that nature as i have seen pictures of farm machinery at Alexander docks and looking into how the wool was carried. 

I can't see any in Tatlow. But bear in mind that the farm machinery was probably manufactured at some place well off the H&B's system and would probably arrive loaded on the traction wagons (or whatever) of the company in whose territory the factory lay - Great Eastern, perhaps? But probably not North Eastern - in that case it would have been routed to Hull by the NER!

Hello Ed,

Couldn't help noticing your thread as it is close to my heart - especially as I am the author of the Lightmoor book!

Mick Nicholson's offer of help towards your project is something you should seriously consider as he is an acknowledged expert on the H&BR.  He has a wealth of material collected over many years of research and study given to the company and I'm sure contacting him (as I did some years ago) would be extremely rewarding for you.  

Best wishes.

Nick

Thanx too for your very kind comments on the book! 

• Like 1

On 12/01/2020 at 16:55, micknich2003 said:

What exactly do you want to know? Myself and a couple of mates have made the study of the railway our life's work. Just ask, we are only too pleased to help. Do you have Nick Deackon's tome? Recently published by Lightmoor, Twenty five quid, approx 250 fully illustrated pages, maps, photo's station layouts etc plus of course plenty of text, second volume later this year.

Good evening Mick 

Thank you for the offer reagrding the Hull and Barnsley could i take you up on that wealth of information that you may have in helping me with this project. 

If so im sure we can come to some sort of agreement. 

Kind regards 

Ed

My mate tells me the H&BRly bought a batch of Ballast wagons off the lines contractor. These were much rebuilt over the years, he also tells me the only known photograph is of one in use as aMatch Wagon following the December 1903 accident at Locomotive Jct. See attached pictures. I will keep looking.

H1_No34_Accident_of_23_December_1903_1.jpg

H1 No34 Accident of 23 December 1903 2.jpg

On 13/01/2020 at 18:04, micknich2003 said:

Hi Mick

I have a few pictures of some contractors wagons so that i will see what they have. I'm assuming these will be side tipping wagons? 

I have been scouring my images after your comments yesterday through my books. Im assuming that the ballast brake van would be something like the normals vans but with some ploughs located at the bottom to spread the material. 

Thank you for your help

Kind regards 

Ed