Wireless dcc for small layout

Hugh Flynn

Hi all after running my layouts with powercab for several years i have been thinking about having a go with wireless 

I did try Bachmann a few year ago with little success.(sold it on)

Now i hear Z21 being talked about or  Digikeijs DR5000  both operating with WLANmaus controller also Procab and Gaugemaster

Basically i want to run a couple of loco,s and a few servo operated points.

What would you recommend.

Thanks in advance

Hugh 

If you are OK with using phones or tablets as controllers, just about any system that can interface with JMRI will work.

You can use a spare PC / laptop to run that, or just get a Raspberry Pi for a few quid; there is a ready-made JMRI SD card image you can download for those so minimal setup is needed.

You can also use smartphones etc. directly with systems that have a WiFi interface built in or available as an add-on.

I use an old Digitrax Zephyr with either JMRI or the Digitrax "LNWI" WiFi module.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobjUK said:

If you are OK with using phones or tablets as controllers, just about any system that can interface with JMRI will work.

Quite so.

Of specific importance to the OP is the fact that he can run your PowerCab this way for very little additional cost.

Get the interface board from NCE to enable the PowerCab to connect to a computer running JMRI Decoder Pro. Use your android device with Engine Driver app. Great advantage, particularly for sound fitted, is that you can now get your PowerCab to have 'momentary' or 'latching' options on any F key.  Should work with iOS devices too.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1