v100 ost

bluedepot

hi everyone 

could anyone advise please which is the better model v100 - brawa or roco?

i'm considering buying one that would have worked in the netherlands (captrain, rrf, railion or another private operator) 

if anyone can summarise the pros and cons of roco and brawa versions that would be a great help as i have no idea really just from looking at online shops / ebay and a few videos on youtube. 

cheers

tim

• RMweb Premium

The answer might depend on whether your priority is appearance, running, robustness or ease of maintenance.

I can report that the Brawa one is, in line with their approach to modelmaking, quite delicate; you need to take time and care to dismantle it. I don't have experience of Roco's model, but it's probably more robust.

Ben

I owned both when modelling H0.  If one or the other was the only choice, I'd be happy enough.  Roco's is a weighty, capable runner (mine would pull a ten coach rake up a radius 2 helix!), Brawa's is lighter and thus lacks such jhigh tractive effort but is equally smooth.  Roco's lighting is better and it's easier to fit DCC into.  Roco's has printed grilles on the cabside, Brawa have the edge here with moulded ones.  Roco have also moulded their bogies with a slight compromise, sloping tops where they should be flat.  I'm not really sure why.

hi

thanks for the helpful replies. sounds like both are good models then!

roco have a railion nl version and rff and locon private operators, so i'll probably go for one of them. if a brawa locon livery one comes up on ebay i may be tempted though. so many private operators have used them (and the v100 db too). 

cheers

tim

Hi Tim,

I've got at least two of the Roco ones and had two of the Brawa's. I simply prefer the Roco's for their robustness, I'm less finicky about the fine details but I had the impression my Brawa's were not quite as well made although they were still good. Roco just feel better!

Cheers,

John.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have the Brawa version, which is a lovely little model. It is sound fitted, and definitely looks and sounds the part.

Like others here however, I do find Brawa a little delicate, and have had issues with some of their other models. I and a club colleague had their sound-fitted class 146, and we both have had issues. He's given up and flogged his...mine seems to have lost its voice so needs further attention!

I recently added a DB 211 to my fleet. I had a choice. I opted for the Roco version as they are far more robust... especially for exhibition running.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1