Standard 4MT 2-6-0

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

I'm rather alarmed by the huge loco-tender gap in all the pics--including the Farish advert in the June BRM. I would have thought they'd have closed it up for this!

Can someone reassure me that there will be a close-coupling arrangement?

Toward the end of last year their website mentioned that the 4MT and Black 5 would be available early in 2010, but as the Black 5 is in the hands of UK reviewers, and the 4MT is being advertised in the press, it would appear that they could be available in a few months time. It would be nice if all 4 of the locos were finished by the end of this year, heres hoping.

Tim

The 4MT has now started to emerge for review, too, it seems - http://www.ngaugesoc...page=trade-news

HTH

Kevin

An I right in thinking that the 3MT is the first British outline tank loco to feature a DCC socket?

I think so, yes. That is certainly a smart little engine, looking forward to receiving mine.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm. I'm a dyed in the wool modern image man but that 3MT, and the 4MT have me considering a small steam based layout of some sort. Maybe I've been in the sun too much this week!

It looks like N steam is finally coming of age though.

Tom.

I think so, yes. That is certainly a smart little engine, looking forward to receiving mine.

Ditto - another little item on the Wadebridge list to tick off.

Now about the Beattie well tank in N with dcc socket and preferably sound ....

It looks like N steam is finally coming of age though.

Yep, that certainly seems to be true as with the introduction of Dapol in to the market the steamers are now starting to actually look like steamers. Previously IMO N gauge kettle models looked like ghastly disfigured caricatures and nothing like a real loco.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

It should be quite simple to make a shorter replacement with some copper clad board and wire...

There's a side-on picture in the review section of mremag.com - the gap between tender and loco is rather noticeable. As its more than just a spacer bar it won't be an easy job to correct. Definitely need to see on first hand before deciding whether to by one.

Yes but why should it be necessary?

I'm very much of the view that it's easy to do and will make my loco unique and better than the original. Same is true of the V2 lowering and weighting, and class 47 lowering and bogie modification. Sure I could complain that things are terrible and whatever, but it's far quicker and more satisfying to do some modelling.

That's the sad thing about modelling today - fewer and fewer seem willing to actually do anything to off the shelf models! Fortunately most of RMweb is a bastion for those who do...!

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

From the Bachmann announcement "...A detail pack is included which provides a standard and short length locomotive/tender coupling to suit track geometry..."

Although I haven't bought one (yet) I believe this was also the case with the Jubilee, ad's in the mag's showing the two in the same advertcool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Was the version with the smaller tender produced (and sent with) the same batch as what we've seen so far.Or does it need a smaller,low profile drive mechanism,and will therefore turn up later?

The standard drawbar has been replaced by the shorter one for the photos. I've not been able to test it yet to see how small a radius curve they can go round.

Hmmm. That's the short draw bar? :blink: It still looks like a huge gap between loco and tender, or is that prototypical?

G.

• RMweb Gold

There is not much difference in length between the two drawbars. It is possible the a home-made drawbar could be used, but its the design of the loco and tender that make it look odd. To my eyes (as an LNER enthusiast) it looks like the loco and BR1 tenders sit too far back on the frames. And on the 9F there appears to be a huge height difference between the loco and tenders fallplates.

Looking at prototype photos of the BR Standard Classes all of them appear to have tender fallplates lower than the loco's. I seem to remember reading somewhere (possibly Locomotive Panorama, by E.S.Cox who was one of the designers) that the loco footplate was deliberately extended backwards to give a stable platform for the fireman, which means the tender fallplate has to be beneath it. I don't think this was universally popular with footplatemen. It is very noticeable on models because of the overscale gap between between loco and tender which is required for those who need to use train set curves.

I think that overscale gap may also give the appearance of bodies fitting awkwardly on underframes.

Sadly very few of us have space to have large enough radius curves to allow the correct distance between loco and tender - unless we display our stock in a cabinet rather than run it. And, by the way, I have stock which I run and stock which I display so I suppose I can see both sides of the problem!

David

Here it is side-on. I don't normally let locos run on my iPad - its the only thing I could find that would hold it level compared the height of the camera smile.gif

Ita a good jod its an iPod and not a Wi or station stops could end up confused.com laugh.gif

mr B .. modelling Nethertown

Was the version with the smaller tender produced (and sent with) the same batch as what we've seen so far.Or does it need a smaller,low profile drive mechanism,and will therefore turn up later?

76020 early emblem and BR2 (small) tender is also on the new 'within next 60 days' list on the Bachmann website.

Fingers crossed!

I was suprised to read people do not have room for large radius curves in N gauge. Probably because I assumed modellers chose this scale over 4mm in order to build large sweeping layouts with realistic curves, not to build minimalist toy train roundies.

Probably because I assumed modellers chose this scale over 4mm in order to build large sweeping layouts with realistic curves, not to build minimalist toy train roundies.

Toy train roundies??????

That's being just a little bit harsh isn't it?

Colin

Archived