Standard 4MT 2-6-0

Crepello

Mine started well, except for the huge gap. It ran in with no problems so I put the short drawbar on. Having then run another couple of hours all appeared fine so I renumbered it to 76049, a West Auckland/Kirby Stephen one. At some time in the future I'll shorten the drawbar further and rehang the cab doors on the tender- correct for 76049.

Les

Great minds think alike, I've just finished renumbering mines to 76049 although mines is destined for work in the Scottish Borders after its transfer to Hawick.

Interesting to hear about your running problems, I've found mines to be really good over dead frogs which is a nice bonus.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I've had issues with my 4MT loco, with the loco driving wheels locking up when running forwards, although it seems to run fine in reverse. I have lubricated all of the rivets on the valve gear but it has not worked. I returned it to my local dealer who was happy to exchange it, but he did not have a replacement in stock. He has tried to expedite one from Farish but has been unsuccessful so far.

I've been refunded, but it is such a nice looking loco that I would still consider buying another one, hoping that it was just a one off. It was run on Peco setrack with second radius curves, and while Farish do advise running on 12 inch radius curves,, at the front of their current catalogue they seem to suggest that ALL models will run over 1st radius curves!

I'm sure it's not my track laying that has caused the wheel locking, all my other locos run fine, and even my 3MT tank ran well despite other peoples bad experiences - does anyone have any good experiences of the 4MT as I am still keen to get one!

Linners

does anyone have any good experiences of the 4MT as I am still keen to get one!

Linners

Yes, mine is an excellent runner - one of the best. I've had no issues of lockups, even after tweaking the eccentric rod cranks so their throw was (cosmetically) correct. Doing this meant there was very little clearance between the expansion link and the motion bracket, but all is still fine.

I don't have any 9" radius curves or settrack though - I moved away from this very rapidly as it was clear that slightly more generous curve radii paid huge dividends in both looks and running performance (I always remember running a Farish A3 over a 9" radius curve and hearing a horrid scraping noise of the the flanges! After that it was 'never again with a £60 loco'.....:))

Cheers,

Alan

does anyone have any good experiences of the 4MT as I am still keen to get one!

Linners

No problems with mine - apart from when I put the front steps on - it made the front bogie derail, though that was probably my bad track laying because it would derail going straight across points... Anyway, I took them off again and it was fine.

I've had issues with my 4MT loco, with the loco driving wheels locking up when running forwards, although it seems to run fine in reverse. I have lubricated all of the rivets on the valve gear but it has not worked.

Linners

Check the Pickups. There is a lot of sideplay in the axles of all the current Farish Steam Locos (especially the 3MT and 4MT) which appears to be controlled only by the springing of the pickup shims. If pushed sidways to the extreme it is possible for the front crank pin to interfere with the valve gear, so if the pickups are unevenly set and biassing the front axle to one side rather than keeping it central this may be the cause (we've had a 3MT lock up completely solid through this).

There has been talk about similar items but trials seem to suggest that this reduces the haulage capacity. Talk is more around replacement chassis to resolve this.

What happened to the Neil Ballatine range of wheels? When I was dabbling in 2mmFS they were the key way to your first converted loco I found!

• RMweb Premium

What happened to the Neil Ballatine range of wheels? When I was dabbling in 2mmFS they were the key way to your first converted loco I found!

They have not been produced in a very long time now. You do occasionally see them on e-bay but they are very few and far between.

They have not been produced in a very long time now. You do occasionally see them on e-bay but they are very few and far between.

That's a shame; they always struck me as being very good quality and the difference they made visually was astounding!

I still have a set to convert a Farish Austerity tank along with the replacement PCB keeper plates and a spare set of the etched rods that Shop 3 used (still do?) produce - just in case I ever return to two mil'!

No problems with mine - apart from when I put the front steps on - it made the front bogie derail, though that was probably my bad track laying because it would derail going straight across points... Anyway, I took them off again and it was fine.

I have two, one with a BR1B and one with a BR2 tender. They are lovely little models and both of mine run as good as they look. I recommend fitting the shorter drawbar supplied in the packaging as the one it comes fitted with is ridiculously long - it still goes round 9 inch curves fine with the shorter one (including reverse-curves).

Of the two I have to say my fave is 76020 with the smaller BR2 tender, it just looks in better proportion, and of course the driver can see better running tender-first:-)

Cheers

Roy

I have two, one with a BR1B and one with a BR2 tender. They are lovely little models and both of mine run as good as they look. I recommend fitting the shorter drawbar supplied in the packaging as the one it comes fitted with is ridiculously long - it still goes round 9 inch curves fine with the shorter one (including reverse-curves).

Of the two I have to say my fave is 76020 with the smaller BR2 tender, it just looks in better proportion, and of course the driver can see better running tender-first:-)

Cheers

Roy

I think the BR2 tender suits it better too. I know I tried to build one in O gauge... ten years ago. Wish I could remember whether it had a BR2 or BR1 tender. That was all I got built...

Archived