Oxford Rail GWR Goods Shed

Bunkerbarge

I have had the above item on pre-order now from Rails of Sheffield for well over a year.  I have phoned Oxford Rail, who seem unable or unwilling to say anything as regards a release date and if you suggest they try to contact the Chinese manufacturer you get the impression you have just swore over the phone.  Rails Of Sheffield also throw their arms up in the air and join the ever increasing circle of vendors who all claim to be victims of a system and they have no powers to do anything about it.  I still tend to think that if they suddenly stopped purchasing items from the manufacturer they might find they get a slightly better response but that seems to be far too logical and basic an approach nowadays.

So imagine my surprise to see this very same item now listed in the Hornby 2020 new releases, with an expected release date of Summer 2020.  I'm sure there are plenty of members here "in the know" so my question is simply does anyone know what the hell is going on?

3 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

OP already knows that Hornby is releasing it in the 2020 range in Q3 and says that in their post. What they don't understand is why an Oxford Rail product is now being marketed as a Hornby model. 

Probably as a commission. They used to sell buildings made by Pola (I think). Now the Gaugemaster Fordhampton range.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/model-railways/gm-structures-brand5.html

Jason

58 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

OP already knows that Hornby is releasing it in the 2020 range in Q3 and says that in their post. What they don't understand is why an Oxford Rail product is now being marketed as a Hornby model. 

Exactly, plus why has it been available to pre-order from Oxford rail for well over a year, yet now is also available from Hornby.  If you go to Rails Of Sheffield they are now taking pre-orders for the Oxford Rails version, Code: OS76R003, at £31.50 as well as exactly the same item listed as a Hornby product, Code: R7282, for erm, £35.09!!

I wonder if we will be waiting another year for Hornby to get it on the shelf!!

After I read the OPs question, I checked the Skaledale range in the new Hornby 2020 catalogue. What I found was that all the 'new items on pages 217,218 and 220 are in fact all of the remaining unreleased Oxford Structures models, but with Hornby R numbers, this includes the three proposed platform sections  railway structures and shops. The four already released Oxford buildings are also in the Hornby catalogue but retain their Oxford branding. What this indicates is that Hornby has taken over the Oxford Structures range. Those not yet released are now to be packed in Hornby branding and the stock of the released items will remain in Oxford branding.

The tie up between Hornby and Oxford is that the Oxford owner, Lyndon Davies, relinquished 49% shareholding to Hornby when he became Hornby CEO, he remains the Oxford majority shareholder and his daughter manages the business. He stll represents Oxford when launching products. Hornby have an option to buy the remaining Oxford shares after 'x' years I believe.

If I'm correct I doubt that the unreleased Oxford Structures items will appear now as Oxford branded items.

Edited by rembrow
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 14/01/2020 at 09:02, rembrow said:

If I'm correct I doubt that the unreleased Oxford Structures items will appear now as Oxford branded items.

When I queried release of the good shed on the Oxford Rail stand at Warley in November, I was informed that the models where in a container, waiting for the container to be full enough of other items before shipping. If this was the case it could mean branding is still Oxford Rail (unless repackaged), although it depends at what stage last year the models moved over into the Skaledale range.

4 hours ago, leeadavo said:

When I queried release of the good shed on the Oxford Rail stand at Warley in November, I was informed that the models where in a container, waiting for the container to be full enough of other items before shipping. If this was the case it could mean branding is still Oxford Rail (unless repackaged), although it depends at what stage last year the models moved over into the Skaledale range.

I understand your point, however the Hornby catalogue listings show something else. They have clearly seperated the Oxford products that are going to remain as Oxford Structures from the other ex Oxford buildings. I don't think they would have catalogued them as 'Skaledale' with Hornby 'R' product numbers unless they were going to be boxed as Hornby.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks like it now shows in the online catalogue as well.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/brands/skaledale.html

But the price is now £49

The transition is more understandable here:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/286650/oxford_rail_os76r003_gwr_brick_built_goods_shed_now_to_be_produced_as_hornby_r7282/stockdetail.aspx

The £32 price was better, but sadly not in stock. 

Oxford Rail  OS76R003
GWR brick-built goods shed - Now to be produced as Hornby R7282

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of thoughts re the “office” area ............

I suspect the fire wouldn’t work very well with a chimney that stops well short of the main roof

Inside, the dimensions of a chimney breast and fireplace might make the door opening a little tricky

13 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

Does anyone know whether this model is based on a prototype, please? The solid brick-built buttresses either side of the road-side door are a bit weird to my eyes, but I realise there's usually a prototype for everything.

The design is a copy of the Scalescenes good shed design, which has been around for 10 years or so. I was advised by John from Scalescenes that that is not based on a partiuclar single prototype, it takes elements from a variety of sources.

• Informative/Useful 3