Springing an LNER Group Standard Tender

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure somebody has done this hence I am asking the collective knowledge on here......

I am in the process of converting a selection of models to P4 and am having more success than expected.  However, I have a Bachmann LNER group standard tender (or several) and can't come up with a neat solution for springing or compensating one of these.  I can't seem to find anything that really fits the bill for going under a rtr tender. 

My current solution uses a comet chassis with some spring wire pressing down on the centre axle. But this doesn't have decent bearing surfaces really and would take some modification to fit 2mm bearings.  As such, I'm not overly happy with the outcome.

One could try and source the bits from one of the various suppliers (SE Finecast, DMR, Bradwell) that make kits for the group standard tender but this seems a bit overkill.

I have considered getting some profile milled frames from Alan Gibson, along with suitable hornblocks and building a fully sprung inside bearing chassis from bits - but I can't get my head round how I would line everything up and assemble it.

So.....  any ideas?  Am I missing something blindingly obvious?   Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Edited by Stephen M

I'd go for beam compensation for a Bachmann tender as making it heavy enough for the springing to work with a plastic tender might be tricky. The secret here would be to have the rear axle (adjacent the buffer beam) fixed and then put a simple compensating beam between the front and centre axles. Easy enough to do with Gibson frames and either High Level Kits or Mike Trice hornblocks.

Thanks for the quick responses, certainly some food for thought there.  Both seem feasible, though I'd be tempting towards hornblock and etched adaptors for springy beams, maybe using Gibson frames.  Plenty of space in the back for some lead to add weight.  Only reason I'd prefer this over compensation is because I love the running qualities of my Ivatt Class 4 tender on a Brassmasters fully sprung underframe.  Narrow minded I know.

In either case, how would you go about lining everything up without it being a fold up chassis?  I can't see how you would use a jig and axles as it's not a coupled wheelbase......  this seems like a really straight forward question so maybe I am blind to the obvious solution.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Stephen M

7 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

There are no rods, so the axles need only be approximately 'lined up'. Within 0.5mm would be fine.

Ok - so prudent use of a decent square, clamps and care to build a straight chassis/hornblock arrangement and then install whatever springing or compensation approach as desired?

Cheers,

Steve 

37 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

Masokits do a tender springing system, suitable only for P4, which may be worth investigating.

Nick,

Thanks for pointing this out.  May be worth a punt if it saves a load of faffing about.  For £10 I may get one to have a play with.

Cheers,

Steve