I am new to railway modelling but I have an interest in art and design. I’m hoping to make a freelance minimum gauge model railway and I’ve recently found a few pictures of the amazing models which g iliffe stokes made. They’re similar to my artwork and ideas but unfortunately the book he wrote and was published by Peco Publications is long out of print and highly priced on Amazon. I hope to find a copy one day but any help will be greatly appreciated, I designed a model railway 10 years ago called Horsecombe but if I actually built it it would be very different.

894DB75D-4D18-47E7-A6DA-E26A7F59C8BE.jpeg

8CFBDE3A-E698-4633-91B7-5FEA2C90344B.jpeg

8680C6E8-81FC-4FBE-90FD-8889092590C4.jpeg

D897B897-EB4A-40BA-94F3-B00C2C814EAD.jpeg

• Round of applause 1

Amazon at £57 for a book with a cover price of 5/- (25p for those that don't know what that is).

Good luck in your quest, I gave up looking any years ago, I have a photocopy of the book only.

However, these days with so many book collections coming on the market, it's always possible one may turn up.

• Like 1

The station building that you have sketched is remarkably similar to the Bilteezi cardboard kit. Although dating from the early post-war period, these were quite remarkable for their time and are nowadays available from Jerry Freestone at Freestone Model Accessories. Look at the online Bilteezi shop page to see a couple of photos of the kit made up.

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 13/01/2020 at 15:31, Tim V said:

Amazon at £57 for a book with a cover price of 5/- (25p for those that don't know what that is).

Good luck in your quest, I gave up looking any years ago, I have a photocopy of the book only.

However, these days with so many book collections coming on the market, it's always possible one may turn up.

Hopefully one will turn up soon I found some Downesplans books though. I’m sorry for the late reply.

On 16/01/2020 at 09:51, bécasse said:

The station building that you have sketched is remarkably similar to the Bilteezi cardboard kit. Although dating from the early post-war period, these were quite remarkable for their time and are nowadays available from Jerry Freestone at Freestone Model Accessories. Look at the online Bilteezi shop page to see a couple of photos of the kit made up.

That’s really cool! I didn’t know that Bilteezi was still available, I’m interested in the huts and groundframes too. I’m hoping to draw some plans of real and freelance buildings for my O9 railway, they will mostly be Cotswold buildings but I may draw a few West Country ones too.

• 9 months later...

He was without doubt a very talented individual, his work was inspiring and when you think all those years ago he was producing models that would still be difficult to attain today.

To add to that, his wife Doris was also a gifted modeller.

Edited by Gravy Train