Hornby A4 TTS chip problem

mikeg

I have been trying to install a TTS chip in a Hornby A4 which runs well on DC but with the chip installed I get a short. With the chip out and the blanking plate there’s a short on the rear drivers and also between the third pair of pins on the PCB that the chip fits into! Has anyone had a similar problem or any ideas what maybe causing the problem?

Thanks for any help Mike 

Unscrew the socket and look at the underside for solder bridging. Usually with the blanking plate in any error here does not matter but with a chip installed isolation between pins is essential.

RAF9, thank for your reply, there was a very fine trace between two of the pins once cleared the sound came on but as soon as I pressed the speed step button it went off.

I switched the sound off and the loco started to move but was jerky, when I turned the speed up to step 7 the loco stopped and the chip gave a small puff of smoke and died!

I think this maybe why the loco was reduced in price as it will not run on DCC but runs very smoothly on DC.

Regards Mike

As it’s not my chip and from what my friend has told me it’s about 18 months old, but it had been used ok in a diesel to test it when originally bought. He’s not worried about it and has already disposed of it.

thanks for the suggestion, mike