Class 168/170’s

TravisM

• 4 weeks later...

The latest BCC mag says this

'In preparing the 2020 combined volume we have identified a small number of items for which we have no production slot yet available. Inline with our move to the announcement of new products only once they reach the advanced stages of the production process, we have taken the decision to omit these items from the combined volume. The models affected are'

Then lists all three Class 170s, the Class 168 and two Class 20/0s

'Whilst work may continue on these projects in readiness for their future release, no further updates will be provided until such a time that the models are ready for release.'

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

The latest BCC mag says this

'In preparing the 2020 combined volume we have identified a small number of items for which we have no production slot yet available. Inline with our move to the announcement of new products only once they reach the advanced stages of the production process, we have taken the decision to omit these items from the combined volume. The models affected are'

'Whilst work may continue on these projects in readiness for their future release, no further updates will be provided until such a time that the models are ready for release.'

Sad news but thanks for the update.

• 1 year later...

Well that's disappointing :(

I can see them using the same S-Stock low-level chassis / motor design to refresh a lot of their range but it's a shame they don't spend a few years ploughing on with that as well as releasing some new units - spend a few years concentrating on modern MU's as the Electrostar family are calling out for the making.

I can see them just refreshing old models though, which I guess by the time they're actually released, will be really old.  But the 150, current 170 aren't particularly bad models.  But then the old 158 looks awful compared with the new.

EDIT:  Sorry, I didn't realise this was from 2020 :P  A lot happened in Feb of last year!

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Well that's disappointing

And the news is also quite old.

On 07/02/2020 at 01:03, Simon Bendall said:

But this one does offer a nugget of hope I think, given they pulled the 20/0s a year ago then announced a new model this quarter.

16 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

current 170 aren't particularly bad models.

TBH, the old 170, 220 and 221 would probably be acceptable DCC ready with working lights if they weren't going to be expensive.

The issue is I'd expect a 221 to be about £500 RRP by Bachmanns current pricing, 220 £400+ and 170 £350 ish meaning a 10+ year old model wouldn't suffice.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

And the news is also quite old.

But this one does offer a nugget of hope I think, given they pulled the 20/0s a year ago then announced a new model this quarter.

TBH, the old 170, 220 and 221 would probably be acceptable DCC ready with working lights if they weren't going to be expensive.

The issue is I'd expect a 221 to be about £500 RRP by Bachmanns current pricing, 220 £400+ and 170 £350 ish meaning a 10+ year old model wouldn't suffice.

Very true, Bachmann cancelled the GWR 166 , because they couldn’t make it dcc ready, was verging on £180 in 2017. Even the old toolings will still command high prices. 

• Like 1