BR green locos in the late 1970s

MarshLane

On 18/01/2020 at 13:29, Neil Phillips said:

At that time I was in west Cornwall surrounded by hydraulics! The first Class 47 I saw was D1677 Thor at Truro in autumn 67, after a slow start such visits picked up throughout 1968 but that's another story. Although there were no reported sightings of D1733 in Cornwall in Bsyp livery, it did show up not long after its overhaul.

I've seen so many photos of this loco showing the white-on-red logos on one side and plain on the other that I began to wonder if it did in fact ever carry four logos, or just the two for publicity photos. Eventually in exasperation I put this to Russell Saxton who sent me six new photos and just ONE of these proved that it did!!

It was also the only Class 47 to carry its works plates on the body sides. D1953-61 had them attached to the cab doors.

Neil

The white-on-red logos of D1733 were actually stick on vinyl.  One of them 'fell off' and survived on someones garage wall into the 21st century.  It was sold to a railwayana collector so is out there somewhere!

Tony

On 17/11/2020 at 21:58, SouthernBlue80s said:

So am I right to assume. The last BR loco in revenue earning service to carry a non tops number would have been one of the Westerns towards the end of February 1977?

PWM650-4, ADB968000-3, 8598 all survived the westerns but do they count as revenue earners?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

The white-on-red logos of D1733 were actually stick on vinyl.  One of them 'fell off' and survived on someones garage wall into the 21st century.  It was sold to a railwayana collector so is out there somewhere!

Tony

I like that, "fell off" .

i remember me and 1 of my mates having a wander around OOC, back in the day.

when 1 of the D`s fell of D7100, fell of has we walked past.

I wonder if he`s still got it,  Not seen him in 40+ years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray M said:

Ah, memories of D7100, my first confirmed Hymek for haulage just before it was withdrawn ;).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ray M said:

Was that before or after its "roll-over"?........presumably before as I'm sure you'd have mentioned its 'little dent'.......my pics were taken on 31/3/73 & 12/5/73, I was gobsmacked at the second viewing as I knew it hadn't been anywhere in between. It looked like it had simply been tipped onto its side and stood upright again - which was exactly what had happened! Unfortunately the airbag jacking idea wasn't entirely successful.......

509611015_730331_D7100OOCstraight.jpg.040fbe1444f517ed56b298076b55baea.jpg1282054114_730512_D7100OOCbent.jpg.53fa0057796c294abacc53554879895d.jpg

• Like 9

On 16/11/2020 at 18:21, Neil Phillips said:

1647 was another, finished as per 1661 but with BR logos - however the latter didn't stick very well and on one side at least the lower half soon peeled off! I think I have a not very good picture of it storming through the Cornish countryside somewhere........

Found it! (I said it wasn't very good......it IS blue, honest.)

The little white mark on the bodyside is the top half of the BR arrow logo.

1223187823_730828_D1647Hugus.jpg.db69b00cd36dcc416f16e8ba74681667.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Found it! (I said it wasn't very good......it IS blue, honest.)

The little white mark on the bodyside is the top half of the BR arrow logo.

1223187823_730828_D1647Hugus.jpg.db69b00cd36dcc416f16e8ba74681667.jpg

It's a cracking image, great.  Thank you for posting.

I can hear the rails singing...and that diesel pounding.  Love the line side telegraph poles.  Some bemoan the railways of the 70s.  I thought it was fantastic.  I love these threads with images from "when I were a lad" cos it was more interesting- dour 70s my "bottom" !

Cheers.

Matt W

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, D826 said:

It's a cracking image, great.  Thank you for posting.

I can hear the rails singing...and that diesel pounding.  Love the line side telegraph poles.  Some bemoan the railways of the 70s.  I thought it was fantastic.  I love these threads with images from "when I were a lad" cos it was more interesting- dour 70s my "bottom" !

Cheers.

Matt W

Thanks Matt - this was my favourite lineside spot in the late 60s/early 70s, about a 5 mile cycle ride from home (Truro station was 3 miles). This location is between Truro and Chacewater, about halfway up the climb away from Penwithers Junction. We knew it as Hugus, from the road signs, although I believe it's actually Temperrow. The road overbridge, behind me in this photo, was the primary spot, but there was a network of footpaths which offered a number of different viewpoints including a foot crossing in the distance. Although it looks like I was lineside to take this shot I was actually stood on the footpath, which turned sharp right at this point. Watching Warships and Westerns slogging uphill with 12 Mark 1s on those warm Summer Saturdays was unforgettable, although I have to admit that Brush Type 4s created more excitement as 'for'ners' could turn up!

I moved back to Cornwall in January and a couple of visits to Treliske Hospital just up the road presented opportunities to revisit this old haunt - rampant vegetation growth means photography is now very difficult. And there's the inevitable mobile phone mast on railway land the other side of the bridge. I didn't have time to check out the state of the footpaths, but it's on my to-do list for next time. I don't expect to see any Warships or Westerns......or rare Brush Type 4s!

Neil

• Like 4

7 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

Sorry, late to the party as usual.

Just to confirm 47 365 (Crewe Works 1977) with dominos and green:

47365CreweWorks240977w.jpg.5ee0ba27bf6f317cd787f233ab749bd3.jpg

Interesting that this green 'un was apparently numbered at both ends. I have a feeling it wasn't unique though, I think 47356 was as well although one number was cabside and the other bodyside.........can't remember which way round. I have the pic somewhere but it's not one of mine.