Sourcing Rarer Parts (e.g. not at Peters) - 80s Hornby King-class

As the title suggests, there's a broader question with a narrower application.

What should I do when I want parts for older trains which seem hard to source, including from such mainstays as Peters? Just wait and see? (I say older; I have a modern J83 which I need a plastic chassis frame for, but which is very hard to find.)

The specific case I'm interested in the the 1980s King-class (King Henry VIII). The front bogie's front axle has a worn-off spike-end, which means it slips half-out on any gradient or unevenness. This is bad enough, as it causes a functional derailment, but what's worse is these front bogies are made from metal so the bogie dropping to the track shorts everything. It's also missing a front buffer - I can source the buffer itself, but not its "sleeve"/cylinder, and that doesn't even have a separate parts number.

So broader question - how to source rare parts? Narrower question - any thoughts on X776/X1013 bogie axles/full bogies, and making/sourcing buffer sleeves? I'm happy to do a bit of modelling for the latter.

16 hours ago, Owen E said:

...The specific case I'm interested in the the 1980s King-class (King Henry VIII). The front bogie's front axle has a worn-off spike-end, which means it slips half-out on any gradient or unevenness...

Presumably by 'spike-end' you mean the pinpoint end of the axle is worn away.

Simple DIY  solution, fit a new axle to the wheelset. (I would check first whether there is also significant wear in the bogie axleboxes. That's fixable too, with bearing inserts.)

Stevie, despite my searching, I hadn't found that! Any suggestion on the buffer sleeve?

34etc, yes, the two thoughts I had were replacing the axle (but it's a rare part it seems) or filling out the box. The axle is plainly most of the problem, so I'd rather replace that than mess with the axlebox. Thanks for the advice.

Owen

4 hours ago, Owen E said:

Stevie, despite my searching, I hadn't found that! Any suggestion on the buffer sleeve?

34etc, yes, the two thoughts I had were replacing the axle (but it's a rare part it seems) or filling out the box. The axle is plainly most of the problem, so I'd rather replace that than mess with the axlebox. Thanks for the advice.

Owen

Easiest answer is probably fit top hat bearings to take up the slack.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, royaloak said:

Easiest answer is probably fit top hat bearings to take up the slack.

This is an interesting option - not one I was aware about. However, from what I see, fitting and fixing the bearing can be technically complex (pin drills, open soldering, etc). Any easier suggestions? But certainly happy to look into it; for a rare part it could well be a lot easier.

Hi all,

There is possible an easier way to fix the bearing problem. yes it does include a bit of drilling, But probably not as much as fitting a bearing. Get you new wheel set and make sure they are the ones you want. Now fill in the damages bearing housing with araldite or something similar. Once it has set drill out the required size hole at the axel box you need. Keep testing it with the wheels so that you do not make the hole too big. As it is  GWR King you are talking about I assume it is the front set of wheels that you have bearing problem with.

Or the easiest and possibly cheapest option is to buy a complete King rolling chassis like this one which is up for £9.95 or nearest offer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-MARGATE-R-349-GWR-GREEN-KING-ROLLING-CHASSIS-ONLY-G-246/223839480464?hash=item341ddf6a90:g:ONIAAOSw-SVd7NwS

Edited by cypherman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've checked through my stocks and sadly I don't have the bogie, wheelset or axle for this loco

One thing to note, looking at that chassis on eBay it seems that the bogie has been drilled out and filled with a grey filler of some sort, probably because the bearings have been replaced already ....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

I've checked through my stocks and sadly I don't have the bogie, wheelset or axle for this loco

One thing to note, looking at that chassis on eBay it seems that the bogie has been drilled out and filled with a grey filler of some sort, probably because the bearings have been replaced already ....

Thanks for looking anyway. 

Yes, the axleboxes do look renovated. But if either the axle is intact or the whole rolling chassis runs, my problem is solved; I could always do some aesthetic work to improve it.

Hi Owen

The X776 wheelset was pretty generic in the 1980's. As well as being fitted to wagons and some coaches it was also used in the pony trucks of some tender locomotives and, as you are aware, the King bogie. I am unable to access my Service Sheets at the moment but,from memory, they were used on the Flying Scotsman type chassis.

This chassis was also used on the LMS pacifics (Princess and Coronation).

The X776 appears to no longer be available as a spare but the scotsman type pony trucks are. Buy a pony truck complete, remove the wheels and sell the remainder on ebay.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Ray

• Like 1