Maidenhead Colour Light signals

Can any one advise on, or post picture of the High Wycombe (Marlow) branch up Home signal that was installed to replace the Up Home bracket semaphore in the 1970s?

Was it a three aspect or four aspect and did it have a left inclined feather to allow access to the Bay Platform?

Many thanks

Paul 

• RMweb Gold

No pic I'm afraid but it definitely wouldn't have been 4 aspect and it probably had a theatre route indicator (as at Twyford off the Henley branch) and I suspect it might well have had a subsidiary.  E What's there now won't be much different although it might well have been renewed with a more modern signal or had a new signal head etc.

• Like 2

What is there now looks to have a left feather but I agree with Mike, a theatre route indicator with a three-aspect head and probably a subsidiary is the most likely installation for the 1970s. The curve was well within the speed limit for the installation of theatre route indicators and they seem to have been the preferred option where one of the routes led into a terminal road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

OK but what configuration of LQs did it replace? I think that there was a home with fixed distant and bracketed arm as per SRS diagram but was there a route indicator as well?

No route indicator. 

If you google "maidenhead signalling alterations" and scroll down past the trash you will get to an entry headed "Untitled - Signalling Record Society". If you click on that it should download a file giving details of the alterations when the main line at Maidenhead (but not the branch) was converted to c/l mas in 1962. The diagram on page 5 includes the retained semaphore signalling on the branch - and it might be read as having a working distant on the relevant signal, if it was it would have had to be motor-worked but I suspect that a fixed distant is more likely.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bécasse said:

No route indicator. 

If you google "maidenhead signalling alterations" and scroll down past the trash you will get to an entry headed "Untitled - Signalling Record Society". If you click on that it should download a file giving details of the alterations when the main line at Maidenhead (but not the branch) was converted to c/l mas in 1962. The diagram on page 5 includes the retained semaphore signalling on the branch - and it might be read as having a working distant on the relevant signal, if it was it would have had to be motor-worked but I suspect that a fixed distant is more likely.

The Distant was definitely a fixed at caution signal before the MAS scheme and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't altered during that scheme (in fact if had been been altered that would be shown on the notice, and it isn't).

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, bécasse said:

No route indicator. 

Hi There,

I have two queries re the page 5 diagram:-

1) There is a ground disc to the right of the position of the old Middle signal box. I assume this controlled access to the up relief line either from the goods siding or the old dock siding. But how was access through the points above that disc controlled? Did a shunter have to be present? (bearing in mind that there would be a number of instances where a loco would be backing off the up relief with stock off an up freight left on the up relief or in the up refuge siding).

2) Is the Branch siding starter an elevated ground disc?

Thanks

Paul

5 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

1) There is a ground disc to the right of the position of the old Middle signal box. I assume this controlled access to the up relief line either from the goods siding or the old dock siding. But how was access through the points above that disc controlled? Did a shunter have to be present? (bearing in mind that there would be a number of instances where a loco would be backing off the up relief with stock off an up freight left on the up relief or in the up refuge siding).

1) With the exception of the main to relief crossovers shown bold on the diagram which were point-motor worked direct from Slough panel, all the points were worked locally (and mechanically)  from the new Maidenhead box (or for the points marked x from the new west GF), although for all those actually located in the up or down relief lines the relevant lever had to be released by Slough panel before it could be reversed.

2) My assumption is that that signal was deliberately drawn in the way it was to indicate that it was elevated to bring it closer to the driver's line of sight.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 14/01/2020 at 23:36, The Stationmaster said:

What's there now won't be much different although it might well have been renewed with a more modern signal or had a new signal head etc.

On 15/01/2020 at 10:28, bécasse said:

What is there now looks to have a left feather.

Hi,

Slightly off topic, but the current ‘Up Branch Home’, T3570, is a Dorman ILS three aspect signal with a position light and MI. It lost its feather when Maidenhead was remodelled a few years ago to connect up the Stabling Lines and the loop line, which removed the connection between platform 4 and the branch.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Slightly off topic, but the current ‘Up Branch Home’, T3570, is a Dorman ILS three aspect signal with a position light and MI. It lost its feather when Maidenhead was remodelled a few years ago to connect up the Stabling Lines and the loop line, which removed the connection between platform 4 and the branch.

Simon

Thanks for that update. I was rather surprised when looking at Google satellite view to see the cast shadow of a feather at this signal, clearly the shot predated the latest changes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2020 at 15:05, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi There,

Thanks

Paul

1.  The points (single slip) in rear of the ground disc were, and always had been, hand points.  

2.  The elevated disc reading from the Branch Siding replaced a standard siding signal  at some time and probably before the resignalling although there was definitely a very old siding signal still surviving at Maidenhed West until then.  No doubt elevated to improve sighting - which would not be easy just there.

All the points mechanically worked by the new 'box at Maidenhead were normally released by setting the route at Slough if they were in line of route from a signal operated or slotted by Maidenhead.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The former branch "up home" S171, was a 3-aspect head with a position 4 (right) junction indicator to the Up Main and a position light subsidiary with a miniature indicator capable of a single indication B for permissive working of platform 5. As noted above, its replacement T3570 is a 3-aspect single lens Dorman ILS with subsidiary and MI for the same purpose.

• Like 1