Locomansounds are pleased to announce their return to the Forum

We are now distributing D&H Dcc decoders in UK 

These decoders are German made  and any information can be found at Locomansounds.com

During our absence we have developed Terrier sound project, Black5, Q Class generic Southern Region sound and the Class 37, our first Diesel Sound project

The Flying Scotsman has just been announced and launched on ESU

Britannia Class will be the next project to be announced although it was delayed due to the new ESU V5 decoder ; in fact we nearly completed the project on the ESU V4 just weeks before ESU announced their new advanced V5 decoder and because of this reason we had no alternative but to put it on hold.

Edited by Locoman58
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/03/2020 at 21:47, Albie the plumber said:

Bought one recently. 

Great sound project ! 

Hi Albie 

Assume this is a 37/0 sound file as the starter motor sounds appear to be missing ? with the vid showing a 37/4 loco..still sounds good though...

Ken

3 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

Hi Albie 

Assume this is a 37/0 sound file as the starter motor sounds appear to be missing ? with the vid showing a 37/4 loco..still sounds good though...

Ken

Hi Ken , 

Indeed it is ! 

But as I model early 1970's , it's just the job .

However , modellers licence allows to me to have one growler that has an alternator whining away on start up ! :)

1 hour ago, cravensdmufan said:

Just ordered one of these and looking forward to trying it.

Anyone else that has got one, any recommendation on speakers please?

Thanks.

As I have a decoder tester , I always set the chip up on this and try out various speakers .

The EM2 is probably the best to my ear but I've also tried the new square megabase speaker that Roads and Rails supplied and it's quite good ! 

Just depends on how much work you want to do on your 37.

I'm trying the latter speakers on my existing sound chipped 37's that currently run with 58x22 base reflexes in the tanks .

I did one with ZIMO active drive sounds last week and its sounds much better to my ear .

Will be trying them out on my 47's before too long .

I did do a 47 with an EM2 but it's a lorra lorra work !

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for all the info Albie - I have a good few different spare speakers in my "DCC" box and I'll try a few and report back.

As with all other soundchips and indeed the positioning of speaker(s) in locos it's all trial and error to get the "right" tone of sound.  And then of course we all have different preferences!

I'm afraid that milling out chassis blocks is a step too far for me. But I do fancy trying that square megabase speaker from Richard.  He did a test video of a few different speakers recently:

• Like 1

On 18/03/2020 at 13:31, Hamburger said:

That square speaker with the metal membrane seems to be a good alternative to the EM speakers.

Wired 2 together the other night on my '37 with Coastal DCC sounds  

Definitely better than 1 .

Unlike mixing 2 different speakers together where one seems to stifle the other , 2 square megabass' seem to join forces to actually make it better. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2020 at 12:17, Albie the plumber said:

I did one with ZIMO active drive sounds last week and its sounds much better to my ear .

Will be trying them out on my 47's before too long .

I did do a 47 with an EM2 but it's a lorra lorra work !

Just to make I understand it correctly, does the Zimo active drive sound better than the D&H? I just want to have an idea how good the D&H is.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Proud to present first video of our LNER Q6 sound project on D&H decoder.

Sounds taken from our Zimo project, enhanced to 16bit quality. Adding new features such as buffer clashing and clanking.

Enjoy!

Link to video:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtqVSGNx_Gc&list=PLZB86Yx18yLc73ee3ikmc6Bess8xpoDCG&index=2&t=0smaxresdefault.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallba

Edited by Locoman58
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Are the D+H decoders available for larger scale locos too, such as Heljan's O gauge items?

I'm interested in trying the 37 sound in a Heljan loco but doubt the OO gauge locos available will cope with the current draw?

Dave

46 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Are the D+H decoders available for larger scale locos too, such as Heljan's O gauge items?

I'm interested in trying the 37 sound in a Heljan loco but doubt the OO gauge locos available will cope with the current draw?

Dave

Dave,

the larger OO gauge D&H decoders can handle up to 2 amps of motor current (SD21 and SD22).
Certainly sufficient for an O gauge loco with just one motor but with 2 motors you are at the limit. Some Heljan 37 were reported to need just 1.5 amps while others draw 2.5 amps.

Locoman

18 hours ago, Locoman58 said:

Dave,

the larger OO gauge D&H decoders can handle up to 2 amps of motor current (SD21 and SD22).
Certainly sufficient for an O gauge loco with just one motor but with 2 motors you are at the limit. Some Heljan 37 were reported to need just 1.5 amps while others draw 2.5 amps.

Locoman

THanks Locoman, I was looking at putting it in a Heljan 37 so I might not take the risk now but will keep an eye out for a large scale decoder :-)

On 14/01/2020 at 19:45, Locoman58 said:

Britannia Class will be the next project to be announced although it was delayed due to the new ESU V5 decoder ;

will the Britannia project be available on the D&H decoders as well? as the preview video mentions them, either way looking forward to that one