• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Is it easy enough to remap the functions on the D&H decoders?

Yes if you can read a D&H manual.    As with many decoders originating in German speaking countries, the English manual is several versions behind the German version. 

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I see lines talking about function mapping in the manual. Not very clear on how to work it though. As long as its possible its all good though, will probably get Locoman's sound for my Black 5 at some point and want the brake key on F2 since I have  Prodigy controller.

2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Yes if you can read a D&H manual.    As with many decoders originating in German speaking countries, the English manual is several versions behind the German version. 

Only the remapping itself is easy. But there are some multifunctional F-keys that would require an explanation (F1, F4, F7, F10, F13, F17).

For this reason we do not want to publish a general list.

But nothing easier than sending us an email and we help.
Please go to our website locomansounds.com for email address and phone number.
Don't forget to indicate where the original function should be moved to or whether the functions should only be swapped.

35 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Ah, I see lines talking about function mapping in the manual. Not very clear on how to work it though. As long as its possible its all good though, will probably get Locoman's sound for my Black 5 at some point and want the brake key on F2 since I have  Prodigy controller.

The active brake is less complicated and easier to set than with Zimo or ESU decoders, so it is absolutely not necessary to have it on a momentary button.
F2 is actually intended internationally for a whistle, so that if the whistle is designed as a playable whistle, it can also be played very short and in succession.

Nevertheless, to exchange F2 and F4, for example:

CV 316: change value from 2 to --> 4 (whistle from F2 to F4)

CV 317: change value from 4 to --> 2  (1st brake valve sound from F4 to F2)

CV 390: change value from 4 to --> 2 (active brake from F4 to F2)

FYI: CV 391 = brake time with active brake on (default about 14)

PLEASE NOTE:

these values are for recent projects only. If you purchased some time ago the mapping might be different so these CVs are not always valid. Please write an email in case.

Edited by Locoman58
Note added
  • Like 1

New projects coming soon!

After having launched the Southern 'Schools' V Class on D&H we converted our LMS 8F project from Zimo to D&H.

Both will be 85£ each.

Also the LNER A4 project will be soon available on D&H for 95£.

Please have a look at our website for further details.

https://locomansounds.com/product-category/dcc-sound-decoders/d-and-h/

Photo by A .Anderson. CC license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0

spacer.png

Edited by Locoman58
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Trying to decide what speaker to order with the Black 5 decoder, don't suppose anyone has any nice pictures of the tender with the decoder and the double sugarcube (40x22x09) speaker squeezed in?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Trying to decide what speaker to order with the Black 5 decoder, don't suppose anyone has any nice pictures of the tender with the decoder and the double sugarcube (40x22x09) speaker squeezed in?

Hi Kaput

I’ve been using these speakers https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w1-1925sb-1-poly-cone-full-range-driver--264-922 which have worked extremely well with the D&H Black 5.  No matter what speaker you use, I’ve found that mounting it high up in the tender pointing downwards gives the best sounds.  With most sound installs, I will usually remove the tender weight to give more room with no bad consequences.  

I can take some pics of my Black 5 install if you need it.  The D&H decodes are a fair bit smaller than the Loksound.

Cheers

Tony

• Agree 1

On 12/07/2020 at 09:51, Kaput said:

I got this speaker to fit by using a dremel to cut the weight in half and by cutting a slot in the mounting plastic for the Hornby speaker 

IMG_20200713_141416.jpg.7cdefbcec375854c67c085fb45598733.jpg

IMG_20200713_141455.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

I just quickly fitted as shown for testing our sound but if you are prepared to cut a bit of the internal plastic,  seal all around and then glue real coal on top of the tender you would achieve a  nicer sound

Hope it helps!!

Stai bene

Saluti

Locoman

IMG_9879.jpg

IMG_9880.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9882.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

Edited by Locoman58
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are looking for some install tips, I recently did up a video showing installation of a Locoman D&H decoder into a Bachmann loco here:

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Ended up using a 15x11 sugarcube to avoid having to make any modifications. Sounds fine to my ears :)

Bit annoyed with how Hornby done the tender coal load - wastes so much space.

Might give it a go in the future to remove the moulded coal load and fit a bigger speaker.

Edited by Kaput
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered a Q class decoder from Locoman and can say two things:

1. The service is excellent, decoder arrived within two days of ordering.

2. The product itself is very, very good indeed.

I actually wanted it to go in a Dapol N gauge "B1" (as far as I am concerned, one mid-sized two cylinder loco sounds much like another) and it is the first decent steam sound simulation I have come across.  I really can't fault it. Even has a slight "blow" on one of the cylinders which sounds far more authentic for the last years of steam.  

Here's a short and poor quality video of 61099 departing from Stobs station.  Layout is very unfinished and the video is cut short as I only have the scenic section available for running trains, but there's still a bit of atmosphere about it somehow.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Locoman58 changed the title to Locomansounds: link to Britannia videos (last post)
  • RMweb Gold

That Brittania does sound good, next on the list for me I think.

Here is a video of a Hornby GWR King with Locoman Spunds King sound file on ESU Loksound 5 with a large Tang Band 1925S speaker in the tender.  Talk about rattling the windows!  The King sound file really suits this speaker.

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 1