GWR 14xx/48xx/58xx Sound Comparison

HereticUK

Hello everyone! I am thinking about purchasing the new Dapol O gauge GWR 58xx class and installing DCC sound on it. I have a choice of 5 different sources that I can see: Legomanbiffo, YouChoos, Digitrains, Howes, and SWD. I can find some certain samples of the sound, but I would like to hear some opinions from people who have bought and used sound from all these different sources. Can anyone recommend any of these sound files?

Of course, I could get the DCC Sound version from Dapol and save myself some money, but I heard the sound sample from this and I am not really that impressed about it.

Thank you for your help and advice.

6 hours ago, HereticUK said:

Hello everyone! I am thinking about purchasing the new Dapol O gauge GWR 58xx class and installing DCC sound on it. I have a choice of 5 different sources that I can see: Legomanbiffo, YouChoos, Digitrains, Howes, and SWD. I can find some certain samples of the sound, but I would like to hear some opinions from people who have bought and used sound from all these different sources. Can anyone recommend any of these sound files?

Of course, I could get the DCC Sound version from Dapol and save myself some money, but I heard the sound sample from this and I am not really that impressed about it.

The Dapol sounds are normally from Mr SoundGuy, who now works for them.

Charlie

Of course, I could get the DCC Sound version from Dapol and save myself some money

You won't save money - Dapol is charging a GBP150 premium for factory-fitted sound versus around GBP100 for a third party solution, which should be a simple plug-in job.     

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All but one of my locos has Digitrains/Zimo systems.   I am very happy with them.  Paul Chetter has had a hand in most of these.  Digitrains stopped shipping to Canada for a while so I had to get a Loksound system from Howes.  While Zimo work great out of the box, I had to do an autotune procedure to get my loco running properly on Loksound.

I do find sound decoder fitting to be a faff but I have done it for all of mine without mishap.  Maybe things are improving at Dapol to make decoder fitting a breeze.

John

Edited by brossard

9 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

You won't save money - Dapol is charging a GBP150 premium for factory-fitted sound versus around GBP100 for a third party solution, which should be a simple plug-in job.     

Well, you say that, but my experience of it being a "simple plug-in job" is that it's never so simple, and I actually managed to stop a loco from working when plugging in a DCC chip. I don't have enough confidence in my own capabilities in this regard to even dare to try it myself again now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 15/01/2020 at 16:50, HereticUK said:

@HereticUK are you sure that all of those sources for sound files for a GWR 14xx?  I could only find the YouChoos & P.Chetter/Digitrains sound projects.  I think that the SWD project is generic.

Nope, the Dapol factory fitted sound option is not one of mine. Dapol (and before that Lionheart who later merged with Dapol) sound on ZIMO decoders has always been produced by Mr SoundGuy, whose usual features are much different to the projects I produce.

I did create the factory fitted sound for Minerva Models Pannier and Digitrains have a Pannier sound project I created for them, too.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well maybe this weekend !!

So I decided it was time to strip the Dapol 48xx down to see what size speakers I can get in?

As expected a sugar cube should end up in the bunker and I'm hoping to get this 25 x 25mm mega base in?

Not used a smaller mega base before?

What speaker set up have others used?

Sound chip is by wheeltappers .not actually heard that either fully just a quick check last year.

The supplied 2 x sugar cube set up supplied by Dapol interest me but I dont have a 21 pin decoder for this one.

Maybe the next one?

20210123_170231.jpg

I used the Sugar Cube in my 14xx convert with a Southwest Digital decoder and found it to be plenty loud enough...

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

We my idiot actions this morning saw me blow the sound chip !

I was however impressed with the wheeltappers sound that I will order a replacement asap.

Might even go for two as I really like the 48xx.

I blew the chip as I was fading with different speaker combinations, mainly as I was not impressed with the sugar cube speakers.

I find them a bit tiny on there own.

The sound was much better with a mega base and cube as opposed to two x cubes.

On 23/01/2021 at 17:41, bgman said:

I used the Sugar Cube in my 14xx convert with a Southwest Digital decoder and found it to be plenty loud enough...

The sound sound's great but the sounds are in the wrong order, should be about 4 to 12 chuffs and then she would coast with maybe just the sound of the vacuum pump and the background hiss of boiling water.  Its more a control problem than anything, but to me as someone who has followed and photographed 14XX and the like around preserved railways it just sounds wrong

There is a good clip of 1450 on the SVR at     [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euGxspMJkFk    ]  The starting away clip starting about 1.30 in

Edited by DavidCBroad