Is this the place to ask large scale narrow gauge questions?

whart57

If so, can I ask if anyone has built a Roy Link Bagnall kit for 7mm narrow gauge? I have some questions regarding valve gear.

Though I am modifying the kit a little, stretching the funnel and making new cab sides so that it is to 1:32 scale on 14.2mm gauge track for 18" gauge. Believe it or not the 7mm scale Link kit of a 2' gauge Bagnall is in most dimensions correct for an 18" gauge version to 1:32 scale.

• RMweb Premium

You mean like this one? -

P1090049.jpg.c39683f944649c85ed62e1ab881a0adc.jpg

It was built from the Roy Link kit before the kit went anywhere near Wrightlines - as were the skips. They all still run nicely.

As it is now a long time since I built the kit I will try to answer Questions - but might have forgotten the detail - I'll have to find the instructions.

Have you asked Roy Link?

Regards

Chris H

• Friendly/supportive 1

That looks like the one, nicely done btw.

I have three questions really, though the first is straightforward.

1. It looks from the instructions that the valve gear is modeled in mid gear, i.e. the valve rod doesn't actually move. Is that the case?

2. The instructions are unclear about how the various links are joined together. I assume it is a brass pin loose on one piece and soldered to the other, but can you confirm?

3. Do you remember the order in which you assembled the piston rods and valve gear?

I am at the stage of having a chassis that runs freely with the connecting rods fitted so am looking to move on from there.

Wim

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the delay - I had to go and find the instructions and wind my memory back over 30 years! Unfortunately my loco is out-shedded with a friend in Staines at present so I can't refer to it directly for a while.

Taking your questions in order, the answers are:

1 - Correct the the valvegear is modelled in mid-gear and the valve rod does not move, nor on my model do the expansion links. The only parts that move are;

a) the swinging lever hung from the 0.9mm wire pin that protrudes from the main support casting - through the lever, centre hole of the expansion link and the end of the valve rod before terminating at the bottom of the drop link from the weigh-shaft lever - and,

b) the rod from the crosshead pin - behind the connecting rod little end - to the bottom of the swinging lever (above).

2 - I found Diagram 9 that shows the assembly of the valvegear (left side - right is a mirror image) easy to follow. It all sits on / hangs from the 0.9mm wirepin referred to above ( 1a ), the bent 0.45mm wire valve spindle and the crosshead centre pin. There should be at least 4 small flat-headed rivets in the kit - one each for the joints between the crosshead link and the swinging lever (I passed the rivet end through the crosshead link from the outside, then soldered the rivet end to the to the bottom end of swinging lever - with a fag paper between the two flat rods / levers).

The other rivets each side make the joint between the weigh-shaft arm and the drop-link to the end of the valve-rod etc.

3 - After 30+ years my memory of assembling the valvegear is hazy - so anwer is "Don't remember". But, having reread the relevant part of the instructions I have a sort-of memory of there being an error in the part numbers that the instructions say to leave off if you don't know about the valvegear - but as I didn't have any bother following the instructions I can't remember the details.

Do you have the one page A4 typed instructions - double-side with 7mm scale drawing - and the folded A3 single-sided sheet with diagrams 1 to 10 that show the various assemblies? If you want I can scan an forward you a copy.

Finally I am aware that Roy Link purposely mad the model as adaptable to 1:32 scale - and the skip wagons - to suit the then incarnation of the Crowsnwst Tramway - but that is not my story.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Chris H

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for the information. My instructions are the ones you describe except that the diagrams 1-9 are on an A4 sheet.

I didn't realise Roy Link had made it purposely adaptable, I thought it was just pure luck and coincidence that it happened to be suitable. Are the skip wagons adaptable to 1:32 as well? I have some already made up.

Wim

4 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Yes the skip wagons are a large capacity version in 1:43 - so capable of being more normal sized in 1:32 and the frames are set so that they can accomodate 3/4" gauge wheelsets (2ft gauge at 1/32)!

Regards

Chris H

That's good to know, thanks. Though in my case they will stay on 14mm gauge in order to represent 18" gauge.

Wim