Oxford Rail 2020

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

I believe the diecast range is being announced on the same day.  Hoping to see the Sherpa Van and variations shrunk down to N scale and greater attention paid to quality control and livery accuracy across all their products, not holding my breath for the latter though...

Some sort of progress on the Mk3 range would be welcome, especially if they made them more robust and added proper window frames, oh, and made the couplings less fragile so when you dismantle them the springs don't vanish into the ether.  If they were to crack on with their HST trailers I could be tempted to buy a pair of Hornby top notch power cars, they would at least have a comparable level of detail.  Perhaps Lyndon, with his Hornby CEO hat on, might have a word in his daughter's shell like over Sunday lunch with a view to helping boost sales...

In the die-casts, I personally would like to see an expansion in the range of 1980s cars (Metros, Maestros etc) and more controversially a Ford Transit NBC 16 seat minibus, I know "breadvans" are anathema to bus enthusiasts but they were everywhere, came in lots of bright colours and could be a whole new collecting market, as well as being useful for modellers of that era. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

My guess there'll be one new loco, two or three new wagons and possibly two or three new carriages.

Possibly a L & Y 0-6-0

or Thomas Hill Steelman or Vanguard diesel shunter in military and civilian liveries; 

NER brake van and 20T wooden sloped hoppers; 

Mk3a sleepers and Mk3b FO and BFO to complete Oxford's coverage of the loco-hauled Mk3 versions (except for the royal train)

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

You won't be buying the all new Fowler 7F with working inside motion and axlebox glow then?

Axlebox glow?  Hells bells the fireman needs to get more grease in that box for sure :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I've already commented under the 'Oxford Diecast  .... what's next' thread that 

my guess for Oxford Rail's 2020 announcement is the USATC S-160 2-8-0 from WWII.  They have already tackled the war time theme with their WWI rail mounted gun, and the USATC was top of the 2019 poll, so it seems a strong contender.

Like others, I hope Oxford Rail will announce the NER 20 ton wooden sided hopper wagon as part of their 2020 range.  Their forthcoming J27 needs something to pull (even if other hopper wagons are available): the NER hopper wagon is something else, and should sell well.

John Storey

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Axlebox glow?  Hells bells the fireman needs to get more grease in that box for sure :lol:

Or the chief mechanical engineer needed to specify axleboxes with greater bearing surfaces to deal with the extra power. A classic case of a good design let down by a detail shortcoming.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

So, a Class 40? (Well, they go with Mk.3s if you're Jouef...)

Never did understand the rationale for that . Bet they sold a lot of Mk3s though , as they were the only full length option for running with the Hornby HST that came out about the same time .

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The only logic could be that a long coach needs a long loco on the front :lol:

They were nice coaches though; made a good basis for a prototype Mk.3 too:

post-1877-0-34058800-1448800394_thumb.jpg

You've given me an idea for my redundant ones . Currently they are running around in basic grey primer between 2 Inter7city power cars . Thanks for that!

4 hours ago, Legend said:

Never did understand the rationale for that . Bet they sold a lot of Mk3s though , as they were the only full length option for running with the Hornby HST that came out about the same time .

Because it was part of a range that never took off. They planned many more models.

There was also an LNER A1 and A3 announced which never appeared.

As an aside they were made in Ireland. That's the reason they had Irish Mail headboards.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Because it was part of a range that never took off. They planned many more models.

There was also an LNER A1 and A3 announced which never appeared.

As an aside they were made in Ireland. That's the reason they had Irish Mail headboards.

Jason

Very interesting . I never knew any of this . I’d always assumed they were made in France .  Never knew about the A1 or A3 either .  A bit of Model Railway history that’s passed me by . My era too . 

Maybe Oxford following suit with a series of somewhat unrelated products 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 1

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 15:31, daltonparva said:

1st loco they did was a Southern one.

2nd was a GWR one.

3rd was an LNER one.

4th was...............

Another LNER one.

So sod 'em.

An LMS fan.

I thought that either an LMS group loco or a BR standard developed from an LMS predecessor was most likely. Plenty of scope among those constituent designs which put in long service and survived well into the BR period, and the Austin 7. Who knows, perhaps one of these will come next?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I love that job, but you look an idiot if you get your timing wrong and it goes up the chimney!

Roy

I remember my Uncle made some bacon rolls once when I was with him at Finsbury Park shed and I refused to eat one because of the black bits on the bacon, well I was only about 6 at the time :lol: