Protecting backscenes

29 minutes ago, doilum said:

Diluted PVA or Matt varnish ?

The back scene is formed from scanned and printed paper images .

The backscene on my loft layout uses similar printed images, along with Peco etc paper backscenes . I have never needed nor applied any finishes. Over 15 years and still as I made it. No problems.

Brit15

7 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

The backscene on my loft layout uses similar printed images, along with Peco etc paper backscenes . I have never needed nor applied any finishes. Over 15 years and still as I made it. No problems.

Brit15

This little layout may have a harder life. It acts as my workshop test track and will occasionally go out on the road,

• Informative/Useful 1

I was under the impression that applying a spray coat of waterproofing spray was also a good way to 'protect' self printed images. I've used this method on some self-designed / printed / assembled cardboard buildings.

However, surely it depends on the type / quality of the actual ink used in the printer (assuming it's an inkjet)? Sunlight is going to have an effect regardless of any coating applied.

14 hours ago, ISW said:

I was under the impression that applying a spray coat of waterproofing spray was also a good way to 'protect' self printed images. I've used this method on some self-designed / printed / assembled cardboard buildings.

However, surely it depends on the type / quality of the actual ink used in the printer (assuming it's an inkjet)? Sunlight is going to have an effect regardless of any coating applied.

Thanks for that thought. The layout sits on a bench with its back to the window and out of direct light. Unlike Houghton Street which has integral back scenes, these can be made detatchable so, if the worst happens, replacing them is a matter of a few new photocopies.